• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Found Old Coins.....

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found some old coins when going thru my mom barang barang. She has some old coins and ask me to identify them as she has no England in her.

Found 05x half penny ranging from current queen grandfather (1908), her father (1939) and her majesty (1955,60,67). There also a piece of half crown (1947), what the hell is a half crown? A 1953 six pence and to top it off, 02x straits settlement ten cents coins, both minted in 1919. Too bad both coins are in bad condition, badly oxidifed by age (95 years).

Should I just keep them(the 2 ten cents coin)back in the box or give them to the museum to restore so as to display for future generations?

Sorry, no pictures as I have no idea how to post them and not keen to do it anyway.

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found some old coins when going thru my mom barang barang. She has some old coins and ask me to identify them as she has no England in her.

Found 05x half penny ranging from current queen grandfather (1908), her father (1939) and her majesty (1955,60,67). There also a piece of half crown (1947), what the hell is a half crown? A 1953 six pence and to top it off, 02x straits settlement ten cents coins, both minted in 1919. Too bad both coins are in bad condition, badly oxidifed by age (95 years).

Should I just keep them(the 2 ten cents coin)back in the box or give them to the museum to restore so as to display for future generations?

Sorry, no pictures as I have no idea how to post them and not keen to do it anyway.

Don't think those old colonial coins are worth a fortune.. I bought few of King George Straits Settlements coins dating back from 1920 to 1930 at Sungei Rd for less than $4 a coin.. These are genuine coins.. Try going to Sungei Rd.. Those Ah Peks selling many different types of old coins..

Problem is now I don't know where those old coins are ever since I moved house few months back..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't think those old colonial coins are worth a fortune.. I bought few of King George Straits Settlements coins dating back from 1920 to 1930 at Sungei Rd for less than $4 a coin.. These are genuine coins.. Try going to Sungei Rd.. Those Ah Peks selling many different types of old coins..

Problem is now I don't know where those old coins are ever since I moved house few months back..

Not looking to sell them. Will keep them as don't take much space. Only the 2 ten coins condition very bad and I don't want to damage them by cleaning them.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not looking to sell them. Will keep them as don't take much space. Only the 2 ten coins condition very bad and I don't want to damage them by cleaning them.

Just keep the old coins for memories.. For me I used to keep 2 King George coins inside my wallet for good luck sake..

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It dun worth much, my mom had them also,
Now I inherited them, old notes also have.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It dun worth much, my mom had them also,
Now I inherited them, old notes also have.

They not mine, she has loads of old notes and coins. Old folks like to keep old stuffs. I was getting her to reorganize her stuffs, at least know what is being keep where. At least I have an idea what she has.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes those square coins they are not worth much. Probably because many were circulated then.
Unless you got something higher in value (rarer) or earlier in date (before 1920s at least)...
For reference I found some old coin dated before 1900s some years back....got them valued only about few hundred dollars....mind you they were in close to mint condition.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes those square coins they are not worth much. Probably because many were circulated then.
Unless you got something higher in value (rarer) or earlier in date (before 1920s at least)...
For reference I found some old coin dated before 1900s some years back....got them valued only about few hundred dollars....mind you they were in close to mint condition.

Unless you are talking about, the silver coins or gold sovereign, anything in circulation is not much of a value, except for sentimental value, for they belong to a time..when your grand..somebody uses them daily.....back 5cts bigger than a "bullock cart " wheel...ha ha ha nowadays..5cts..few want them.

Again, unless, the coins are un-circulated coins, kept in pristine condition, common coins are useless to the numismatic dealer or the numismatic...so are the currency notes....

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Coins dating back before 1900s very rare and special.. Its better to just keep them..