• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

forget to vote, you are barred for life till appeal granted

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't vote? Here is what will happen
Those who do not vote will be struck off electoral register
By Cheryl Ong
sun6.jpg

VALID REASONS

According to the Elections Department, it is compulsory for eligible citizens to vote in presidential elections or parliamentary elections, if their constituencies are contested.

A registration officer will remove the names of those who do not show up on Polling Day from the certified register of electors of the constituencies they belong to.

Those struck off the list cannot vote at any subsequent presidential or parliamentary election. They are also barred from being candidates in any subsequent presidential or parliamentary election.

Those who want to be put back on the list must approach the registration officer with an explanation. They can submit their applications online at the Elections Department website, at its Prinsep Link office or at any community club.

After every general election, the Elections Department typically sends out letters to non-voters informing them that they may apply for their names to be restored.

If there was no valid reason for a voter not voting, the department will impose a $50 fine, which needs to be paid before the voter can be reinstated. Valid reasons for not voting include working overseas at the time of the poll, studying overseas, being on an overseas vacation planned before the polls, being ill, or delivering a baby.

Documents must be produced to support such claims, such as a passport or letter from the school, or a medical certificate.

A voter cannot submit an application to be reinstated once a writ of election has been issued for his constituency.

Most people know that voting is compulsory in Singapore, but some have no idea what happens to them if they miss the general election.

The question is looming large since one likely date for Polling Day that has been cited by pundits is April 30, which falls on a long weekend when more people are expected to be out of the country.

This year's election will also see more seats contested by the opposition. This means that more voters could be caught out by their holiday plans.

Indeed, travel agencies here say that April and May are usually peak travel periods because of the Labour Day break, with a general spike of 20 per cent in travel demand to places such as Hong Kong, Thailand and Vietnam.

This is why at least one of them, CTC Travel, has found it necessary to advise its customers on the dos and don'ts if they did miss their chance to vote.

'Way back in February, CTC Travel already prepared a list of commonly asked questions related to the impending General Election,' said a spokesman.

This included a list of valid reasons for not voting, which can incidentally be found on the Elections Department website.

For example, people who had made travel plans before Polling Day is announced will be struck off the electoral register of eligible voters for the next election if they do not show up to vote, but they can apply to get their names put back.

Those without valid reasons will need to pay $50 to regain the right to vote at the next elections.

Travel consultant Melissa Tan, 22, is planning a three-day trip to Kuala Lumpur on April 30 and thought she might be fined if she did not vote.

'I guess I was expecting a bit more,' said Ms Tan, when told that she would have a valid reason if she was on holiday on Polling Day.

'If the elections do take place on the 30th, I'm not really sure what would happen to me. I know it's compulsory to vote, but it's my first election,' she said.

Mr Chua Soon Yiak, 55, an Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officer, will also be in Australia with his family on April 30.

Said the East Coast GRC resident: 'All I know is I would be disqualified from voting if I am overseas on Polling Day, and I have to go to the Elections Department to re-apply. But I was not sure about the fines.'

According to the Elections Department, it is compulsory for all eligible citizens to cast their vote at the presidential elections or parliamentary elections, if their constituency is contested.

There is no provision in the law to exempt any voter.

Those who are eligible and do not vote are not only struck off the register, but are also disqualified from running as candidates in future elections.

People who want to be put back on the list must approach the Registration Officer with an explanation.

At the last General Election in May 2006, 72,000 voters were struck off the rolls for not turning up at the polling booths.

Since then, 60,000 Singaporeans have applied to have their names restored, according to the Elections Department.

Those that haven't will have to make haste. Restorations cannot be made once the writ of election, which is expected soon, is issued.

[email protected]

Additional reporting by Elgin Toh