• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign cars win market share in PRC

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Proton sells well in their its home country. Actually, very well despite its low reputation and late entry into the market.

Cheers!

Proton sell well in Malaysia because there is a 300% import tax on all foreign cars. If u take out the COE, some cars models are cheaper here than Malaysia. My JB friend just brought a 8yo Honda stream for RM100k. Not sure he got BS on the price but if that true, it is much expensive than here. Of course over the long term, his is more economical as he can drive till it broke.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Proton to me is a Mitsubishi with another badge and according to my associates in our northern neighbour, it is Mahathir's project and its business was designed to channel money away from the Chinese who till the arrival of Proton, dominated the car market in Malaysia. Whatever it is, it is very commonly used by all races in the federation. Being a home based product, it enjoys "home ground protection", which is understandable. For Malaysians, cars, whether Proton or other makes, are not cheap, except when seen by Singaporeans, in which case, every other country's cars are damn cheap.

Cheers!

Proton sell well in Malaysia because there is a 300% import tax on all foreign cars. If u take out the COE, some cars models are cheaper here than Malaysia. My JB friend just brought a 8yo Honda stream for RM100k. Not sure he got BS on the price but if that true, it is much expensive than here. Of course over the long term, his is more economical as he can drive till it broke.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i was told in Ah Tiong land now,,,the rich tiongs will avoide the domestic BMWs,,,if drive must drive Made in Kraut Land ones,,if drive made in ah tiong lands one very luigi.

One other thing I realise in singapore, u drive van or BMW etc,,,u still go hawker centre and eat,,and u despite what car you drivem u still fight for parking lot like everyone else. Look at bukit Timah hawker centre, 1/2 the cars there are luxury cars,,,and i thought all the rich will go restaurants and eat and have valet parking,,,

For a little island, Sg has a large ratio of exotic supercars. Even for the regular commuter, the proportion of luxury brands is tilted in favour of the more expensive brands. In my parking lot, the are definitely more BMWs and Volvos than Camrys and Accords. But one would think China is different. Having a domestic car industry, one would expect local brands to dominate, but that is somehow not true from the report.

Cheers!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
China cars really cannot make it. The engine sounded like it running out of engine oil and going to drop down anytime soon.

Anyway I think quite a number of these European brands will be acquired by china like what happen to Volvo and MG rover. Dong feng recently acquired 14% stake in Peugeot -Citroen.

Peugeot signs rescue deal with China's Dongfeng Motor