• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[FOR SAMMYBOY FORUM PARENTS] YOUR KID(s) MAY WANT TO BE A SMARTPHONE

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Elementary school student’s “wish to become a smartphone” breaks Japanese internet’s heart
soranews24.com

smartphone wish

Get ready to break out the tissues for this one.

Now I know what you’re thinking: “A kid wishing to be a smartphone? What’s sad about that? It sounds hilarious!” Trust me, I thought the same thing too.

Then I read the story that’s been trending online in Japan, and, well, let’s just say that my vision is a little blurry as I type these words.

In the interest of not giving anything away, let’s get right into the story, translated here:

‘One night after a woman and her husband finished dinner, they sat down exhausted in the living room together.
The woman was an elementary school teacher, and she had to finish grading assignments she’d set for her students, which was to write about something they wished for. Her husband joined her on the couch with his smartphone in hand, finally able to relax after a long day.
Just when the woman thought she’d finished correcting the final essay, she noticed another one that she’d apparently forgotten. This is what it read:
“My wish is to become a smartphone. It’s my wish because my mom and dad really love their smartphones.
My mom and dad only pay attention to their phones, and sometimes they forget all about me.
When my my mom and dad come home tired from work, they spend time with their phones, not me. Even when my mom or dad is doing something important, if their phone even rings just once, they pick it up right away. But they don’t do that for me, even if I’m crying.
My mom and dad play games on their phone, not with me. When they’re talking with someone on the phone, even if I’m excited about something and want to tell them, they just shush me and tell me to go away.
So that’s why my wish is to be a smartphone. Because then maybe my parents would love me as much as their phones.”
The woman read the essay in tears. Her husband asked what was the matter, and she showed him the essay. He quickly read it then asked her which student had written such a sad essay.
It was then that the woman realized where this “extra” essay had come from; it had been slipped in there without her noticing.
“It wasn’t one of my students who wrote it,” the woman answered. “It was our son.”‘
Aaaand I need another box of tissues. Even if the story is a little too convenient and potentially not even true, that doesn’t make it any less impactful as a piece of fiction.

Sometimes parents underestimate how observant their kids can be. Kids notice when they’re being ignored in favor of other things, even moreso when the ones ignoring them are their parents. And they notice when their mom is correcting papers and they have a perfect opportunity to try to get through to her.

Here’s what Japanese netizens had to say after their hearts recovered from such an intense wringing:
“Well, this applies to pretty much every modern parent.”
“I- I’m not crying! Those water droplets on my smartphone are just my background!"
“This hits close to home, except for my parents it was TV.”
“I feel for the kid. Everywhere I go, I see parents ignoring their kids and their eyes on their phones.”
“Parents need to remember that simply sharing the same space isn’t enough. Kids need interaction to know that they are loved.”
Agreed on all points!

Even if parents aren’t actively trying to hurt their children or don’t realize what they’re doing, their apathy can leave scars that will stay with the kids for the rest of their lives.

So even if this story is just something someone wrote and shared online to make a point, if it helps even one person out there realize that they should put down the phone for a second and hang out with their kid, then I call it a success.

Source: Gunosy via My Game News Flash
Featured/top image: Flickr/Miki Yoshihito

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Have you been eating out lately?

9 out of 10 families/couples that I observed have this common factor- both parents and children glued to their mobile devices, or couples both tapping away at their phones...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have you been eating out lately?

9 out of 10 families/couples that I observed have this common factor- both parents and children glued to their mobile devices, or couples both tapping away at their phones...
that phenomenon is not confined to sinkies. it's happening everywhere in every culture and society with a decent tech infrastructure.
1569175672404.png

1569175691030.png

1569175711378.png

1569175731301.png

1569175775407.png

1569175794627.png

1569175813622.png

1569175854286.png

1569175889742.png

this one takes the cake and the turkey award as it's thanksgiving.
1569175835445.png

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
It happened to me last week when I was out for a family dinner. While waiting for our meal, out of the five of us, I was the only one not staring into my cellphone. So I asked, do you all really need to use your phones now? Can't your social media wait? Can't your game wait? Can't your email wait? And one by one, they put their phones away. They may have done so because I am the patriarch and paying for dinner. But whatever!:rolleyes: Anyway, I believe cellphones are a crutch, a shield they use to shut others out and to demarcate personal space. A most anti-social behaviour, and I find it sickening. Some say it's a sign of the times. The sad thing is it is true and there's nothing we can do about it.:frown:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It happened to me last week when I was out for a family dinner. While waiting for our meal, out of the five of us, I was the only one not staring into my cellphone. So I asked, do you all really need to use your phones now? Can't your social media wait? Can't your game wait? Can't your email wait? And one by one, they put their phones away. They may have done so because I am the patriarch and paying for dinner. But whatever!:rolleyes: Anyway, I believe cellphones are a crutch, a shield they use to shut others out and to demarcate personal space. A most anti-social behaviour, and I find it sickening. Some say it's a sign of the times. The sad thing is it is true and there's nothing we can do about it.:frown:
good! threaten to cut off their inheritance and see if they dare next time.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
good! threaten to cut off their inheritance and see if they dare next time.
By the time we reach 2030, no one will talk to another during dinner. :biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
today's "art" of conversation is in the text exchanges of dueling emojis. :barefoot::alien::ninja::whistling::laugh:
Last time no data, can only sms. Play and challenge who can type fastest. Now with data, all message or WhatsApp Wechat Facebook, Insta. :biggrin:

So what's the next trend?