• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Floodwater drainage in Sinkapore oredi gone case ! More sorry cummin'......

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately that would defeat the whole purpose of marina barrage.

After all it is very hard to predict particular intensity of rainfall. As such we would be pumping out water every other day in anticipation of heavy rain.

Point is that Gov like to build profitable infra. Roads = more ERP and more car (COE). MRT expansion = more revenues and more property revenues from sale of property near MRT stations.

But building bigger longkang takes up valuable land, cost a lot of $$ and have zero return on investments

The one thing we do agree on is that lowering of the water level and earlier activation of gates / pumps at MB might help.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry, we DO NOT agree on "most of the points". And I, too, begin to understand the venom directed at you.

We disagree, for instance, on how the weather has changed. You contend that episodes of rain now tend to be much heavier and thus cannot be handled by the norms of the PUB which have been around for a long time. I said the intensity of the rain has not changed much and should have been handled by pre 2007 norms.

I also said that the MB has created a NEW situation which has caused the inundation. By implication, it is the main cause of much of the flooding. You seem to think it is only minor.

The one thing we do agree on is that lowering of the water level and earlier activation of gates / pumps at MB might help.

Finally, the big difference is that while you try to propagate the impression of a capable government making a few mistakes, I believe this has been a government demanding of its civil servants Tamerlane projects in Samarkand.

I pointed out 3 things, increase rain, working drainage system and Marina Barrage.
  1. We disagree on the increase rainfall
  2. We agreed Marina Barrage maybe a factor you deeming it was the main factor while I said it was part of it
  3. We agreed that the drainage system works. U claiming this would not have happened if the Marina Barrage while I claim it cannot handle sudden increase in rainfall hence we agree but have different interpretation.

2 out of 3 is most points.

And just because I did not mention any damning words doesn't mean I give out the picture of a capable government. Especially since I mention NOTHING about the government. I was trying to be objective and not to politicize the whole issue

Your assessment is the Marina Barrage was the main cause of the floods, that the water was not flowing coz it was held up by the barrage. A simple lowering of the water level would solve the issue. This at worst came down to a calculation mistake by the engineers involved.

While my assessment of the whole situation is that the climate is changing, NO ONE noticed it and we continue to use an outdated model for the last few years and is still continuing to use the same model. Translation, we've been wasting millions of dollars building canals and drains for the last few years and are still doing so and on top of that the Marina Barrage was built based on a very flawed and outdated model.

If anything my assessment of the situation was vastly more damning then yours

I am getting tired of this shoot first shoot again and shoot some more until it sticks branding. Just because I dun spend all my life scolding the ruling party and fantasizing their downfall doesn't mean I am a supporter of the party. Isn't this a forum to exchange ideas and opinions. Whatever happened to Free speech so many of you claim to want so much. Whatever. Think whatever U want, getting tired of being flame. I'll stick with the Chit Chat area and avoid this section for a while

Last edited:

dankos

No long winded assessment from me like that fat ass charlatan dog. My assessment is simple: whoever that jumps in n say no amt of engineering could hav prevented the flood here much like the lionel dog defending style is obviously a pap dog.

Fuck u fat ass.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
No long winded assessment from me like that fat ass charlatan dog. My assessment is simple: whoever that jumps in n say no amt of engineering could hav prevented the flood here much like the lionel dog defending style is obviously a pap dog.

Fuck u fat ass.

That fat fuck want you to come out with a solution...

Got one?

youtalkcock

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That fat fuck want you to come out with a solution...

Got one?

You cheebye dog. Who is paid to solve these problems??? Your PAP masters are paid astronomical salaries only to come up with sentences on TV beginning with "i think" which is a joke. :biggrin:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think whatever U want, getting tired of being flame. I'll stick with the Chit Chat area and avoid this section for a while

Oy ah pui. you have been flamed like a burger king patty for as long as anyone can remember. going anywhere won't make any difference.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your claims of CPF minimum sum increasing 6% over 8 years and 3 floods in 10 years only serves to show what a sly weasel you are. Stop trying to snake and say we have not understood your point. CharAzn, everything he claims, must check and double check. Full of misleading claims.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. what an expensive concrete tank man?
2. with so many heavy-top expensive sheep blah away.
3. yet still flooded!
4. call it retribution or what.

lianbeng says, "they messed with Mother Nature, now Nature takes revenge and messes with them lor - what a mess!":biggrin:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Freedom Of Speech

That was a draft entry I was planning to post in my blog. I just posted it here first. If U can find a PAP handbook on this let me know. Next time I just copy and paste from there.

U pple want free speech and opinions and when someone post something which ISN'T condemning PAP(nothing in my article that praise them either), he gets flamed. :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Handbook ? They have got handbooks ? So, I assume that you are a non-PAP.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Freedom Of Speech

ORBA’s executive director Steven Goh described the latest flood as a sort of ‘deja vu’ for the businesses there:
“It’s kind of like an anniversary for us. It happened last year on June 16, almost (around) the same time. This has caused a big concern because… we suspect the problem’s been transferred from the downstream of Orchard Road to the upstream of Orchard Road where Tanglin Mall and Forum are located”.
let tourism board start a orchard flood festival “乌节路淹水节” during june together with GSS. let those angmo shop around on a boat like Venice in the middle of flooded orchard rd with some free gift floating around.

anyway, although there is almost a yr since last yr. but by Chinese Calender, it miss by a day! last year Orchard road was flooded on 端午节, this year was one day before 端午节!!! :biggrin: i think 屈原must be crying in the heaven on how our gov and pap 卖国 like last time his 楚国, by implementing all the wrong policies that lead to 亡国!:mad::oIo:

showthread.php

Attachments

• 2i1jnf9.jpg
    2i1jnf9.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Lucian Darth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Freedom Of Speech

ORBA’s executive director Steven Goh described the latest flood as a sort of ‘deja vu’ for the businesses there:
“It’s kind of like an anniversary for us. It happened last year on June 16, almost (around) the same time. This has caused a big concern because… we suspect the problem’s been transferred from the downstream of Orchard Road to the upstream of Orchard Road where Tanglin Mall and Forum are located”.
let tourism board start a orchard flood festival “乌节路淹水节” during june together with GSS. let those angmo shop around on a boat like Venice in the middle of flooded orchard rd with some free gift floating around.

anyway, although there is almost a yr since last yr. but by Chinese Calender, it miss by a day! last year Orchard road was flooded on 端午节, this year was one day before 端午节!!! :biggrin: i think 屈原must be crying in the heaven on how our gov and pap 卖国 like last time his 楚国, by implementing all the wrong policies that lead to 亡国!:mad::oIo:

View attachment 1896

Good one bro! Creative ideas, esp the Orchard Flood Festival in conjunction with GSS! Ahahahahaha! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Shd post this on VB's fb or send email to him. Since he is a half breed, he shd knw who is Quyuan!:eek::eek::eek:

dankos

My opinion on this.

Drainage System: A lot of pple have been condemning the drainage system claiming it doesn't work. I beg to defer. We have frequent heavy rains and only having 3 serious floods in the last decade proves that it is adequate for most situation. The fact that the floods subside within a short period of time after the rain stops is further proves that the system is doing it's job. We have to put things in perspective, the rains during the Orchard flooding and yesterday's Central area flooding was due to an extraordinary amounts of rainfall within a short period of time. Something which no human engineering in the world could account for given the lack of precedence.

fat ass,

you fucking pui cheebye really damn stupid. now in another thread u said 3 floods in last 2 years. here u said 3 floods in last decade. :oIo::oIo:

stupid fat ass cannot even decide if its 3 floods in last 2 or 10 years:oIo::oIo: simple thing u dunno, can trust your grandmother story type analysis? :oIo::oIo:

Z

Zombie

Unfortunately that would defeat the whole purpose of marina barrage.

It is not wise to depend on the marina barrage to adjust the water level in preventing flood; because of the large water surface area with many river sources, a lot more water has to be pumped out for each cm drop in water depth. This means there will be a large time lag, and the officials must be able to predict heavy rainfall in advance.

Solution:
Since water in city goes through Rochor Canal and Singapore River, build intermediate flood gate with water level sensor and powerful pumps for each routes. The capacity of the pumps should be based on the worst case scenarios.

Therefore:

During normal times (even in light rain), flood gate stays open..

During heavy rain, the water level in these two routes will go up fast. The flood gate is closed and pumps activated to transfer water from the upstream to the downstream.

The idea is to pump most water from the upstream to the downstream (without breaking the bank of downstream), so as to allow more rainwater at the upstream to flow easily into the drains and thus reduce flooding. The reaction time is greatly reduced.

The marina barrage can lower its flood gate to let water out when the sea tide is low. No need to waste energy pumping water out to sea, unless the water level is too high. The water level of reservoir can be better maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
屈原

屈原(前339?~前278?)战国末期楚国人,杰出的政治家和爱国诗人。名平,字原。楚武王熊通之子屈瑕的后代。丹阳(今湖北秭归)人。

生平 屈原一生经历了楚威王、楚怀王、楚襄王三个时期,而主要活动于楚怀王时期。这个时期正是中国即将实现大一统的前夕,“横则秦帝,纵则楚王。”屈原因出身贵族,又明于治乱,娴于辞令,故而早年深受楚怀王的宠信,位为左徒、三闾大夫。屈原为实现楚国的统一大业,对内积极辅佐怀王变法图强,对外坚决主张联齐抗秦,使楚国一度出现了一个国富兵强、威震诸侯的局面。但是由于在内政外交上屈原与楚国腐朽贵族集团发生了尖锐的矛盾,由于上官大夫等人的嫉妒,屈原后来遭到群小的诬陷和楚怀王的疏远。

怀王十五年(前304),张仪由秦至楚,以重全收买靳尚、子兰、郑袖等人充当内奸,同时以“献商於之地六百里”诱骗怀王,致使齐楚断交。怀王受骗后恼羞成怒,两度向秦出兵,均遭惨败,于是屈原奉命出使齐国重修齐楚旧好。此间张仪又一次由秦至楚,进行瓦解齐楚联盟的活动,使齐楚联盟未能成功。怀王二十四年,秦楚黄棘之盟,楚国彻底投入了秦的怀抱。屈原亦被逐出郢都,到了汉北。

怀王三十年,屈原回到郢都。同年,秦约怀王武关相会,怀王遂被秦扣留,最终客死秦国,楚襄王即位后继续实施投降政策,屈原再次被逐出郢都,流放江南,辗转流离于沅、湘二水之间。楚襄王二十一年(公元前278),秦将白起攻破郢都,屈原悲愤难捱,遂自沉汩罗江,以身殉了自己的政治理想。</pre>

Lucian Darth

Alfrescian
Loyal
屈原

屈原(前339?~前278?)战国末期楚国人,杰出的政治家和爱国诗人。名平,字原。楚武王熊通之子屈瑕的后代。丹阳(今湖北秭归)人。

生平 屈原一生经历了楚威王、楚怀王、楚襄王三个时期,而主要活动于楚怀王时期。这个时期正是中国即将实现大一统的前夕,“横则秦帝,纵则楚王。”屈原因出身贵族,又明于治乱,娴于辞令,故而早年深受楚怀王的宠信,位为左徒、三闾大夫。屈原为实现楚国的统一大业,对内积极辅佐怀王变法图强,对外坚决主张联齐抗秦,使楚国一度出现了一个国富兵强、威震诸侯的局面。但是由于在内政外交上屈原与楚国腐朽贵族集团发生了尖锐的矛盾,由于上官大夫等人的嫉妒,屈原后来遭到群小的诬陷和楚怀王的疏远。

怀王十五年(前304),张仪由秦至楚,以重全收买靳尚、子兰、郑袖等人充当内奸,同时以“献商於之地六百里”诱骗怀王,致使齐楚断交。怀王受骗后恼羞成怒,两度向秦出兵,均遭惨败,于是屈原奉命出使齐国重修齐楚旧好。此间张仪又一次由秦至楚,进行瓦解齐楚联盟的活动,使齐楚联盟未能成功。怀王二十四年,秦楚黄棘之盟,楚国彻底投入了秦的怀抱。屈原亦被逐出郢都,到了汉北。

怀王三十年,屈原回到郢都。同年,秦约怀王武关相会,怀王遂被秦扣留,最终客死秦国,楚襄王即位后继续实施投降政策,屈原再次被逐出郢都,流放江南,辗转流离于沅、湘二水之间。楚襄王二十一年(公元前278),秦将白起攻破郢都,屈原悲愤难捱,遂自沉汩罗江,以身殉了自己的政治理想。</pre>

Yah yah yah, hopefully after VB learnt this story he would feel so ashame to be alive that he drown himself in the flood to redeem his wrongdoings.