• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First to get Windows 8 in Singapore

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LOL, look there is even a queue for windows 8. An OS no body really want.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-Challenger-W8Upgrade.jpg
From 7pm, there was a separate queue for those who wanted to buy Windows 8. The first 88 members got the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for S$59, as well as a free printer and S$10 voucher.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-Challenger-first-buyer.jpg
The first in line was Mr. Victor Lim (left in photo). This was him receiving Windows 8 Pro from Mr. Ben Tan, COO of Challenger. A long-time Windows user, Mr. Lim will be upgrading from Windows

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-Challenger-Samsung.jpg
The Samsung Experience Corner in Challenger was officially opened at 7:30pm. It too attracted a huge crowd, with many checking out the Samsung ATIV Smart PC and Smart PC Pro, both running Windows 8.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-Challenger.jpg
Over at Funan, the Challenger Members' Night commenced at 6pm. Many items were on discount. Just look at the turnout!

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-consumer-event-first.jpg
At about 5:15pm, the consumer event started. These were the first people in line.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-users.jpg
Interest among consumers seems to be fairly high. We were told that all the 800 or so slots were taken, and Microsoft had to turn away many who had expressed interest in coming to the consumer event.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Win8-NatHo.jpg
Singapogrean actor and singer Nat Ho was also interested to find out more about Windows 8.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2012/10/Samsung-Win8.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Windows 8 Launches in Singapore

Today is October 26, 2012, and it’s arguably the biggest day for Microsoft since the launch of Windows 95 17 years old. Yes, today’s the day people can buy Windows 8 in the stores. But make no mistake, today’s also a big day for PC OEMs. With slumping PC sales, Microsoft’s latest OS couldn’t have come any sooner. Therefore starting today as well, you’ll be greeted with troves of brand-name Windows 8 devices when you step into an IT store. From what we understand, over 50 Windows 8 devices from manufacturers like Asus, Acer, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, LG, Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba will be available at more than 120 IT retail stores, including Challenger, Courts, Harvey Norman, and Newstead. From compact, touch-enabled tablets and lightweight laptops to new-fangled convertible devices and powerful, all-in-one desktops, there's something for everyone.

Here in Singapore, a Windows 8 media event took place in the afternoon of October 25 at Loola’s by Awfully Chocolate at the heart of the Esplanade, which was followed by an invitation-only consumer event later in the evening. On both occasions, attendees got to experience Windows 8 on a variety of new hardware devices. From our observations, many consumers were stumped by the new Start screen and were unsure about the various touch gestures. On the other hand, they also found the new Start screen to be handy after understanding what it can do (such as glancing information quickly from the live tiles). The ability to run desktop apps also allayed some of their fears regarding app compatibility.

We've used Windows 8 on a variety of devices, but never on a 70-inch screen - until now. This is a Sharp PN-L702B interactive display, which was connected to a Lenovo laptop via HDMI.

Speaking of apps, Microsoft has officially opened its Windows Store for Singapore as part of Windows 8 launch. At launch, there are local apps from Channel NewsAsia, The Straits Times, Stomp, NomWhere, Razor TV, Photo Monkey, SG Cab, NomWhere, SG Deal, Wego.com, SingTel, StarHub, Merlion Words, iProperty, and more. While Microsoft was unable to tell us how many apps in total are on the Windows Store, Mr. John Fernandes, Director for Marketing and Operations for Microsoft Singapore, did reveal that they’re working with more than 4,000 developers in Singapore.

Following that, we turned our attention to Funan DigitaLife Mall where Challenger was holding its Members’ Night event. The IT store was the first in Singapore to sell Windows 8 and Windows 8 devices to the public with a midnight opening at 12:01am on October 26. The Members’ Night started at 6pm the previous evening, and to maintain the level of excitement, many items were on sale at discounted prices all the way to 1am for Challenger members. There were also hourly specials between 8 to 11pm. For example, very limited quantities of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 3G tablet and Galaxy S III smartphone were up for grabs at a S$200 discount. Samsung also took the opportunity to unveil its first Samsung Experience Corner in Challenger.

Over at Funan, the Challenger Members' Night commenced at 6pm. Many items were on discount. Just look at the turnout!

The Samsung Experience Corner in Challenger was officially opened at 7:30pm. It too attracted a huge crowd, with many checking out the Samsung ATIV Smart PC and Smart PC Pro, both running Windows 8.

From 7pm, there was a separate queue for those who wanted to buy Windows 8. The first 88 members got the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade for S$59, as well as a free printer and S$10 voucher.

The first in line was Mr. Victor Lim (left in photo). This was him receiving Windows 8 Pro from Mr. Ben Tan, COO of Challenger. A long-time Windows user, Mr. Lim will be upgrading from Windows 7.

If you aren't buying a new Windows 8 device, the other way to get the new OS is to upgrade your existing PC. Through the end of January, consumers currently running PCs with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, are qualified to download Windows 8 Pro for an estimated retail price of S$49.99 from windows.microsoft.com. And eligible Windows 7 PCs purchased between June 2, 2012, and January 31, 2013 in more than 140 countries can download Windows 8 Pro for an estimated retail price of S$17.99 with the Windows Upgrade Offer, available at www.windowsupgradeoffer.com. New Windows 8 licenses can be bought at all leading IT retail stores for S$89.00.

If you want to find out more about Windows 8, such as how to navigate the new Start screen, what are some of the new built-in apps, and many more, check out our fuckwarezone Windows 8 Tech Guide.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The first person who get windows 8 in singapore
victor lim

http://108.166.86.7/146951-victor-lim
original.jpg

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The UK design firm Foolproof has recently conducted a test of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 8, and there are a few issues. 14 people, called "typical users" by Foolproof, were tasked with navigating around Windows 8's new Modern UI for some time and report back on their experience.

The testers were all previous windows users, which one might think would aid in understanding the new version of the OS. However, the drastically different, tile oriented design of Windows 8's user interface is quite new, and ditches the traditional windows environment everyone's familiar with. It seems that this causes somewhat of a learning curve, and the testers report back it's a bit steep.

Windows 8 is tricky, according to sample of "typical users"

Windows 8's new interface

Among the issues they reported back, the users had trouble staring internet explorer, and that they weren't able to discern what text fields were editable when typing emails. In addition, they often felt as if they'd lost access to programs if minimized, as there is no taskbar to organize your open programs. The users did however, admit that the new design was sleek and attractive.

Windows is scheduled for release tomorrow, so you can see for yourself what you think of the operating system. Personally, I find that the "typical windows user" isn't the most computer savvy out there, so this may all be a bit exaggerated.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:biggrin:27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep_203"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&contentId=business/2012/10/25/velshi-tech-focus.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&contentId=business/2012/10/25/velshi-tech-focus.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

cnn.................

jw5

Loyal
kiasu, kiasee, kiabo, kiabor, kiachenghu......................

Unsinkify thyself!!!!! :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have 30 inch LCD with no touch screen, only mouse, why would i want an interface for tablet for my PC. I dun not understand what microsoft trying to sell to us?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
UI expert slams Windows 8’s Modern UI

A user interface (UI) has slammed Microsoft’s Windows 8 Modern UI, claiming the new method for navigating around the company’s latest platform is too convoluted

Yet another complaint has been levelled against Windows 8’s Modern UI. This time it comes from user interface expert Jakob Nielsen, who likens the experience of navigating around Windows 8 to being thrown under a moving vehicle – and not in a good way.

Speaking to Computerworld, Nielson said: ‘I just think when it comes to the traditional customer base, the office computer user, they’re essentially being thrown under the bus.’

That maybe the case but what Microsoft is attempting with Windows 8 does go beyond traditional office usage in that many of the device carrying it have more in common with tablet devices than laptops per se.

We do see Nielson’s point though – Windows 8 is a massive jump to the left from Windows 7, changing pretty much everything.

Test subjects consistently struggled to navigate around the new Windows 8 UI and nearly all struggled when attempting to get from the Start screen to desktop mode, according to the UI expert's tests.

Windows 8 gets officially released on October 26, followed by Windows Phone 8 three days later on October 29.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Microsoft's Got A Big Problem With Windows 8: It's Not Easy For Windows Users To Figure Out

An Early Look At Windows 8 Baffles Consumers
Microsoft has a problem with Windows 8.

We finally got some hands on time with a laptop running a near-final version of the operating system.

Our first impressions bear out what we've seen in demos: the new "Metro" interface (see right) bears no resemblance at all to traditional Windows.

That's fine -- it was designed for tablets, where Windows has never been a good fit.

But unlike the iPad (and iPhone), which were immediately intuitive, Metro is not. A lot of the apps themselves are excellent, but as soon as you get out of the apps and into the "chrome" -- the interface of the actual operating system -- it gets weird.

There are tons of tricks to learn. It's often unclear exactly what you're looking at, and what you're supposed to do with it.

Worst of all, the traditional desktop is buried -- it's just another Metro app -- but there are still some things you can only do from the desktop, and some only from Metro. That means you have to switch between the two interfaces frequently. That's not nearly as smooth as it should be.

It may be possible to build an operating system that works great both on traditional PCs and on touch-screen tablets. But based on my initial impressions, using a final-beta build of Windows 8 on pre-release hardware, this isn't it.

Microsoft will undoubtedly change and improve the operating system over time, and the final release on real hardware may fix some of these problems. But for now, it looks like Apple's Tim Cook is right: this is a toaster grafted on to a refrigerator. Unless some customers actually want two-in-one devices that can work as both a traditional PC and a tablet, it's going to be a very hard sell.

Others seem to agree -- a blog post by Michael Mace called Windows 8 "baffling" and "disturbing", and Harry McCracken in Time Magazine and long-time Windows watcher Paul Thurrott ("everything is flipped upside down") had related complaints.
Examples Of What's Frustrating About Windows 8

Yesterday, Microsoft gave me a loaner laptop (not tablet) with the latest build of Windows 8 on it. It's also got a special trackpad that uses the same touch mechanisms as a Windows 8 touch screen device would -- if you want to zoom out, for instance, you just take two fingers and swipe them outward.

It's a nearly-finished build -- Microsoft is calling it the "Release Preview" -- and Microsoft told me they're basically going to add some new art, a few more apps, localization, and that's it. The final release is expected later this summer. You can download it yourself right here -- it should run on any Windows 7 machine.

I've seen lots of demos of Windows 8, but this is the first time I've gotten any extensive time alone with it. I tried to use it as my main computer last night.

A lot of things about it drove me nuts. Here are some examples:

Moving between apps is harder than it should be. In Windows 8, you can swipe the screen from the left side to see the last thing you were doing -- it works like the back button in a Web browser. That should be good, right? But in practice, it doesn't really work. It's not obvious how many apps you have open, and which apps you've closed. (You have to hover over the lower-left hand corner of the screen to see which apps are open at a given moment.) As a result, swipes take you between some seemingly random assortment of things you've been doing recently. The only reliable way I could find to switch between apps is to go back to the Start screen and open the app I wanted.

What am I looking at? Sometimes, bizarre things seem to happen for no reason. A couple times while using an app, I did something near the top of the screen, and suddenly the app shrunk down to a tiny window that I could drag on a blank purple background. What was this? I never found out, because as soon as I tried to drag it the app went back full screen. Sometimes, a little hand appears when you drag the pointer near the the top of the screen, but it wasn't clear why -- until I figured out that it meant "swipe down from the top to see a new menu with choices." No doubt I would eventually figure all this stuff out. But an iPad user would rightly ask: why should I have to?

On a laptop, there are lots of new "physical" commands, and it's not clear which to use. In Metro, some functions, like opening an app or checking a checkbox, require just a tap. They actually won't work if you press down and click (like you would with a mouse). Others, like grabbing a slider to scroll, require you to click and hold with one finger, then move a second finger. Others require you to tap in a particular part of the screen, or swipe your finger from off the edge of the trackpad onto the trackpad. When you switch to the classic desktop, the functions change -- it's more like a traditional mouse, where you can click or tap. These problems may have been a result of using a laptop with trackpad, rather than a tablet -- but a lot of people are going to be using it this way, so the experience matters.

The differences between Metro and the classic desktop seem jarring and random. The classic desktop is presented as just another Metro app -- open it, and you're in familiar Windows 7 land, with a few useful updates. That's fine. But some functions of Metro still work: for instance, if you swipe from the right, you still get the "charms" that let you search the entire OS, share content, go to the Start menu, and so on. Others do not: if you do a hard click near the bottom, nothing. (In Metro, doing this takes you to useful functions like seeing all available apps, or pinning apps to the start menu.)

The classic desktop is not well integrated with Metro. I wanted to pin MS Paint (which I use to take screenshots) to the Start menu, so I could easily get to it again and again. But even though Paint is a desktop-only app, I couldn't do it from the classic desktop -- I had to go back to the Metro Start screen, figure out how to open all apps (you hover over a spot near the bottom of the screen -- not easy!), then control-click (again, not easy!) and select "pin" from the bottom of the screen.

Desktop apps are hard to find. One of the most common complaints from reviewers of early Windows 8 builds is that Microsoft removed the Start button from the classic desktop. This is indeed a pain. There's no easy way to find which apps are available to run on the desktop. The only way I could figure it out was to go back to the Metro start screen, then swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get the All Apps menu.

Microsoft's Windows team and reviewers who have been living with preview versions of Windows 8 for months will probably have easy answers to all of these questions, or will say that I would eventually be able to figure all this stuff out after living with Windows 8 for a week. Also, some of the bugs and unfinished features may be because this is still a beta version, not shipping product.

But still.

I've been using Windows since 1995. I've been using Macs, on and off, since 1992. I didn't need hands-on guidance or a week's worth of practice the first time I used an iPhone, iPad, Android tablet, or even a Windows Phone.

Imagine the initial reaction of non-technical Windows users who hate thinking about this stuff and just want to get some work done.

But it's not all bad...keep reading to see why.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what the shit , steve balmer trying to sell us?
why would i want full screen everytime? I have a 30 inch monitor, full screen look horrible for work and surfing, also defeat having the advantage of a big screen so you can open more windows.

Consider me not interested in windows 8.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if microsoft going to stop selling windows 7, i would have to buy an OEM win 7 disk as an backup in case in a few years time, i need to build a new computer. No way i am going to windows 8.