• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First Stop: Perth Australia

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I decided to start this thread after I received a PM about settling down in this state. My Inbox is running out of space, so I write here.

Singapore settlers think of getting another qualification as part of plans to settle down.

I think Singaporeans are already qualified to take on any jobs here. It is more important to learn to adapt. Put communication skills to practice.

Eg
- Forget about Singapore, you are in a very different country where things may not work - more inconvenient, so stop think how to do things the Singaporean way (well, at least until you are comfortable with Perth way of life)
- Observe how this place works. Eg when driving, drive like a Perth driver. How to survive with 100point ID Check, etc. And very soon, you will build up confidence. :smile:
- It is good to ask, but not all advice are good for you, esp from Singaporean migrants. I past by an Old Chang Kee outlet in a shopping centre near Curtin Uni. Should try one day :smile:

Unless your qualification is not recognised here, getting another qualification just make you feel better but I am not sure if it helps opening doors to employment. It is sometimes better to go to the campus and see their Employment Noticeboard for students/graduates. :smile:

Taking up another degree may be a waste of time because while you are studying, an Indian, Israel, Irish or Chinese migrant would have gained a job and looking out for the next opportunity. At the same time, having found a job means you qualify FASTER for rental, bank loan, etc (eg How long have you worked here?)

Also, people here are not paper qualification crazy so that extra degree may even harm your job prospects if the potential manager you report to has less qualifications. It is more important to show that you can do the work.

To be frank, I find it tougher to settling down here now compared to say ... year 2000. (dotcom/telco maybe)

The main concerns are:
1. Cost of living
2. Accommodation
3. The Strong Aussie dollar
4. Jobs (competition from eastern states & other migrants)

Perth is a more tolerant society and do not have to say Sorry too many times for your mistakes. Don't be stupid like the arrogant Koreans looking for perfection or looking down on others because they are "senior". It does not work here.

But certain industries here are crying out for qualified people. Something we do not see in 2000.

Hope other recent migrants can share to help those with jitters about settling here.

Moving here in May should be fine, it will be colder and the days will get shorter. We are having Exmouth type of strange weather this year, with high humidity, etc. But this is Perth weather, no mountains to protect us. Open to climate change. Al Nina effect.

Getting the Jitters:
1. Perth is full of migrants, the angmo person you talk to may turn out to be a Greek or Italian Australian.
2. Singaporeans are lucky, 15 years ago, it is hard to find decent asian food, now, you can get everything here, at a higher price. But if you earn Aussie $, it should be OK.
3. You are not alone. There are a number of services from govt to community based, that can offer help. You just have find them. (Eg True certified copies - can get it free from the Justice of the Peace at several police stations or legal aid)
4. Perth is build for dumb people. If you have seen the Migration Application Form, you know what I mean.

I have reached a point where I feel more jitters returning to stressful Singapore to visit than living here, esp when filling up forms. Living in laidback Perth makes me a bumpkin! (It is not like Sydney)
(Offensive to Malaysians) I think I will get more jitters if I need to settle in KL than Perth (I can scold very well in Bahasa). I can pay money to smoothen a lot of things, but not driving.

Hope this helps reduce your shakes of making the big move. The earthquake here (touch wood) do not go beyond 4.5 Richter scale, and much lower in Perth metro areas. A lot less frequent. So please don't get jitters :smile:

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for this thread Neddy. Just did my police checks and medicals.. now waiting for the chequered flag.

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
neddy, thank you so much for replying to my queries. never thought you would answer them with a thread!! hehe

What you said makes a lot of sense. It helps to put things in a different perspective. I think this move will be a challenge for me to step out of my comfort zone. I try to tell myself that there are always people who come here with a worse-off circumstances and still manage to survive. This will be also a test of my resilience.

In my recent visits, lotsa people told me about the increased costs of living. Quite worrying esp since with the current exchange rate all my savings will be reduced by almost 30% once it is converted!!

Right now all I can do is to touch up my resume and prepare for the move in two months time. Thanks once again for providing your thoughts!

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks for this thread Neddy. Just did my police checks and medicals.. now waiting for the chequered flag.

Hi ZorrorroZ,

You should see your checkered flag soon.

After you reach your finish line, do you mind telling me how long it takes for your visa to be approved?

A finished line for your PR application marks the start of the REAL watershed moment in your life.

Getting out of your Singapore comfort zone.

Singapore is a good country to live in, that is why you see all the FTs gathering on the island.
But once you have another alternative, you take better control of your destiny.

Like those Singapore PRs who want a better life by knocking on Singapore opportunity door, you will also be doing the same for yourself.

I am in my comfort zone here in Perth. If I want excitement, I can still return to Singapore for a visit. For the fun of it, I may even fly Scoot. :smile: This is what mobility is all about.

Good luck to those heading here.

http://www.facebook.com/OldChangKee.au

Last edited:

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
neddy post something about trolls in cafe forum, i believe it has to do with our resident troll. i hope singapore takes better care of mental cases.

this is a summary of what he wrote:

Psychologist Karyn Krawford believes that trolling may be a sign of mental ill-health.

Ms Krawford said she had done studies which showed the empathy of mental health sufferers decreased for every hour they spent online.

POWER OF THE WEAKLING
Psychologists have long attributed bad behaviour online to "deindividuation" - the feeling people get when they think they are anonymous.

He said a sense of power was important to how people behaved online. "You're far more likely to be a troll if you’re a relative weakling elsewhere," he said."The internet is kind of a Wizard of Oz type setting, where people can feel big, whereas in real-time social setting they can be, well, pissheads frankly."