• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Females - Employers need to respect maternity leave.

pillowtalk

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those of us who have female friends and/or are husbands, please read on and spread the word. It is not easy being a mother and I think all females deserve their maternity leave without any pressure.

(Read below)

shutterstock_73615780.jpg&h=341&w=600

Have you ever been coerced into doing something?

Coercion traditionally involves using force or threat to get someone to do something, but there exist also “implied” threats.

Last month, over lunch, I met with a lady who’s expecting a baby. She’s excited at the prospect of being a mother, but she shared with me something that was troubling her at work.

“My boss wants me to reduce my maternity leave…she thinks that our business would have an eventful few months and that my participation would be ‘beneficial’…” says my friend.

The boss suggested that my friend shorten the leave, or to return to work a day each week. Of course, being politically correct about it all – the boss did say that it is “her choice”, however the non-verbal and body languages say otherwise.

My dear female friends – if you ever faced with something like this, please speak up about it. In Singapore where the laws are strict, employers are unlikely to break the law and deny you your statutory rights. However, they can use emotional/peer pressure to cause you to give up the same rights.

These “requests” are never razor-clear as to what flouts a law and what doesn’t. But when in doubt, say “no” first – your employer cannot disagree. If you feel that you are victimised after that, there are avenues for you to seek redress.

I am no medical professional but an informed read on medical journals will tell you why maternity leave is so important, for instance:

Maternity leave reduces infant mortality
Short maternity leaves are associated with postpartum depression
Paid maternity leave helps low-waged families
(If you’re interested in reading more about these, have a read here: Why Maternity Leave is Important | BlogHer)

But honestly, if you’re an employer and you’re asking your pregnant employee to return to work, do you really want to be held responsible for anything untoward that may happen to her or her child?

Where can you seek help?

So where would you go to seek help if you feel that you’re being victimised or coerced into sacrificing your maternity leave? If you’re a member of a Union, speak with your union leaders first. If you’re in a large company, speak with your HR Manager. If not, go to the Ministry of Manpower and file a complaint.

Singapore is a land where love, birth and babies are scarce. The policies are designed to protect mother and child.

And please, no amount of money, no promotion, no amount of corporate power will ever replace your health, your life and the life of the child you’re carrying.

Source: Respect the Maternity Leave | Five Stars And a Moon

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If employers discriminate against Sporean males who have to do reservist then why should anyone be surprised about the problems females face when they are expecting:confused:

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I know of a lady who worked very hard for her company. The moment she announced to her boss that she was pregnant, her special assignment and work was curtailed and eventually she was asked to take no pay leave because the company was "not doing well". Eventually they asked her to leave because there was no longer any work for her. She left without any benefits.

Then she applied for a job and got in. She went for the interview and was told to wait for the final confirmation. She was so excited and waited in anticipation. The employer called her and told her it is better for her to stay at home to look after her baby.

She was so fed up and she gave up looking for a job. Stay at home and look after her baby - still inside her stomach!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It comes down to whether one is viewed as an economic unit or a human being. In Canada, maternity leave lasts for a whole year. Fully paid.

Cheers!

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know of a lady who worked very hard for her company. The moment she announced to her boss that she was pregnant, her special assignment and work was curtailed and eventually she was asked to take no pay leave because the company was "not doing well". Eventually they asked her to leave because there was no longer any work for her. She left without any benefits.

Then she applied for a job and got in. She went for the interview and was told to wait for the final confirmation. She was so excited and waited in anticipation. The employer called her and told her it is better for her to stay at home to look after her baby.

She was so fed up and she gave up looking for a job. Stay at home and look after her baby - still inside her stomach!

So isn't all these behavior of employer quoted by you , a product of the PaP philosophy?

Productivity with a zealous pursuit of economic benefit and nothing else matter.

Of course being a Sinkie bitch yourself, now it seem you are fighting for women's right and even shooting yourself in your feet and biting your PaP Master's hand on this matter does not seem to conform to your usual views about Sinkie domestic issues.

Of couse your next moronic reply if any will be contrary to what you just expressed without linking the root cause is all PAP created.

You should get your head checked to see whether it was perviously struck by a lightning bolt or not. hahahahaha

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wont hire just married women or those at the age where they want to have kids. It cost my biz too much n i dont work for my employees. They not productive they get shown the door. Easy as tat. Dont forget its not just maternity leave. B4 they go on leave.sure mc here n there. N have to careful as if the preggy injure herself at work etc. Sure alot of headaches so my cost goes up more. Anyway dont the pappies give out generous baby bonus?

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So isn't all these behavior of employer quoted by you , a product of the PaP philosophy?

Productivity with a zealous pursuit of economic benefit and nothing else matter.

Of course being a Sinkie bitch yourself, now it seem you are fighting for women's right and even shooting yourself in your feet and biting your PaP Master's hand on this matter does not seem to conform to your usual views about Sinkie domestic issues.

Of couse your next moronic reply if any will be contrary to what you just expressed without linking the root cause is all PAP created.

You should get your head checked to see whether it was perviously struck by a lightning bolt or not. hahahahaha

I would have respected your views on maternity leave and the conduct of employers.

But you irritated me by your bloody fucking nonsense about my master and the lightninb bolt!

I say fuck you!!! If you can't discuss an important issue without fucking the forummer, then you should not be respected , let alone be heard at all. It's just an utter waste of your fucking dead brain! Understand you moron!! Now go and repent and stop calling me lightning bolt !

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I wont hire just married women or those at the age where they want to have kids. It cost my biz too much n i dont work for my employees. They not productive they get shown the door. Easy as tat. Dont forget its not just maternity leave. B4 they go on leave.sure mc here n there. N have to careful as if the preggy injure herself at work etc. Sure alot of headaches so my cost goes up more. Anyway dont the pappies give out generous baby bonus?

Good economic sense. In the end, you will work yourself as your company will be black-listed. YOu can then retire graciously and spend your time in SBF being the great hypocrite here. Thank you for being a selfish employer. All women workers will hate you.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These women workers who hate me can go get Fucked...but of course tat is how they got pregnant in the 1st place. So they are truely fucked.

Good economic sense. In the end, you will work yourself as your company will be black-listed. YOu can then retire graciously and spend your time in SBF being the great hypocrite here. Thank you for being a selfish employer. All women workers will hate you.

Last edited:

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
why any woman will vote pap is beyond me. first to be discriminated is the dumb mat. next its woman. pregnant? fire them. you didnt want union or worker protection. so why should anyone give a damn?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
i advocate a proper nursing room for mothers to express their milk in a clean environment. always firm in this belief since the old Delphi days.

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the government should take firm action to punish employers like HYPOCRITE who discriminated against women employees who are pregnant - just to save cost. Disgraceful Mr Hypocrite!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
say a female PM and she got pregnant, can she take maternal leave too?

In the older days, not many women in the work force and see no shortage of workers to take over her job.

These days women take top jobs, decision making one some more, and perhaps too many in the workforce today making it difficult for employer to let go one for so long, and she is making extra money for her family not really need the income to support her family.

So how?

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
say a female PM and she got pregnant, can she take maternal leave too?

In the older days, not many women in the work force and see no shortage of workers to take over her job.

These days women take top jobs, decision making one some more, and perhaps too many in the workforce today making it difficult for employer to let go one for so long, and she is making extra money for her family not really need the income to support her family.

So how?

unless the spouse is earning big money, a woman has to work to support the family
a two income family is a must now to survive, unless theres is a big shift in the economic landscape which is unlikely...this is the price we pay for developing too fast....the cost of living is escalating like hell, esp medical cost.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
If employers discriminate against Sporean males who have to do reservist then why should anyone be surprised about the problems females face when they are expecting:confused:

yes.my employer always give me the dirtiest look when ever i say i am away for 3 weeks ict.
my job is a 1 man show.
where to find temporary repalcement.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
male:
1 year 52 week.
1 week 5 day
260 working days.

11 public holiday.
14 MC days
14 leaves
15 days ICT

balance sheet : 206 working day
so to speak..20% of the productive is affected.

can some kind soul calculate the female?

Last edited: