• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Famous artists who have been accused of plagiarism

jw5

Loyal
1652891622466.png

Famous artists who have been accused of plagiarism​

Copyright infringement in the music industry can be tricky. While some songs accidentally sound like others, many hit tracks we know have actually used samples or riffs from older records without attributing proper credit, which can get artists in legal trouble. Is imitation truly the sincerest form of flattery? Many musicians don't seem to think so...
Ed Sheeran has been embroiled in a legal battle against Grime artist Sami Switch (Sami Chokri) since 2018. Chokri accused Sheeran of plagiarising his song 'Oh Why' in the 2017 hit 'Shape of You.' Rather than settling, as many artists do to save time and money, Sheeran went to court and fought his case over several years. On April 6, Sheeran posted a video to Instagram confirming that he had finally won. The judge ruled that he had "neither deliberately nor subconsciously copied" Chokri's song. Sheeran was pleased with the result but wanted to share his thoughts on the issue of copyright infringement.
" I feel like claims like this are way too common now and have become a culture where a claim is made with the idea that a settlement will be cheaper than taking it to court," he began. "Even if there's no base for the claim, it's really damaging to the songwriting industry," as "there's only so many notes and very few chords used in pop music." He pointed out that there are 22,000 new songs added to Spotify every day and that there are only 12 notes in music. "This really does have to end," he concluded. "Hopefully, we can all get back to writing songs rather than having to prove that we can write them."

jw5

Loyal
1652965432918.png

Dua Lipa - 'Levitating'​

Dua Lipa's fame soared with the release of her album 'Future Nostalgia,' but now she's being accused of plagiarizing one of its hit songs. Florida reggae band Artikal Sound System filed a copyright infringement suit against the British pop star claiming she ripped off the catchy tune from their own 2017 song, 'Live Your Life', TMZ reports. According to the docs, the band alleges that Dua and her team heard their track before 2020, which is when they started writing 'Levitating,' and then copied it. In addition to Dua, Artikal Sound System has named Warner Records and others as defendants, and they're asking for any profits they may have made off of 'Levitating,' plus damages. While there aren't any specific musical references laid out in their claim, it's clear upon listening to the two songs that at least the chorus sounds near identical...

jw5

Loyal
1652965504439.png

Dua Lipa - 'Levitating'​

The singer was then hit with a second copyright infringement suit over the same song, but this time by songwriters L. Russell Brown and Sandy Linzer, who claim that she ripped off their "signature melody" from their 1979 disco song 'Wiggle and Giggle All Night' and and the 1980 Miguel Bosé song 'Don Diablo,' to which they also own the copyright, People reports.

jw5

Loyal
1652968881164.png

Sam Smith - 'Dancing With a Stranger'​

Songwriters Jordan Vincent, Christopher Miranda and Rosco Banlaoi have accused Sam Smith and Normani, along with a list of names, of stealing the core from their 2015 track 'Dancing With Strangers' for the hit 2019 song 'Dancing With a Stranger.' The suit claims the hook, chorus, lyrics, and musical composition "are all the same," Pride reports. The lawsuit seeks compensation for the damages Vincent has suffered from Universal Music Group, Sony Music Group, and EMI Music Publishing.

jw5

Loyal
1652973025005.png

Madonna vs. Tory Lanez​

Madonna publicly called out rapper Tory Lanez for illegally sampling her music on his album 'Alone at Prom.' She claimed that he used her song 'Into The Groove' on the track 'Pluto’s Last Comet' without permission. This came to light when Madonna commented on an Instagram post where he was promoting the album. She wrote "Read your messages [for] illegal usage of my song get into the groove!", suggesting that he had already been contacted about it and hadn't responded. Lanez was already in legal trouble after allegedly shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the foot in 2020.

jw5

Loyal
1653052665290.png

Courtney Love vs. Olivia Rodrigo​

In the summer of 2021, Courtney Love called out Olivia Rodrigo for allegedly copying her 'Hole' album cover. On Facebook, Love wrote, "I've informed her I await her flowers [and] note . I sure hope it's long . Does Disney teach kids reading and writing ? God knows. Let's see . Yes this is rude. Rage inducing ? Honey if I had a dollar for [every time] this happens ? I'd be real rich !" When a commenter criticized her for getting upset, she had more to say...

jw5

Loyal
1653052690057.png

Courtney Love vs. Olivia Rodrigo​

The grunge rocker replied, "Stealing an original idea and not asking permission is rude. There's no way to be elegant about it . I'm not angry . It happens all the time to me . And he really I'm very gracious or say nothing . But this was bad form . That's not bullying or bomb throwing . This persons music has nothing to do with my life . Possibly never will . It was rude And I gave every right to stick up for my work . Don't gatekeep me ! I'm honorable as f--k to my fellow artists , and I expect the same."

jw5

Loyal
1653057452836.png

Childish Gambino - 'This Is America'​

Donald Glover, who goes by the stage name Childish Gambino, has been accused of plagiarism for his song 'This Is America,' for the second time. Glover was accused of plagiarism by the rapper Jase Harley a few years ago, but it didn't come to much. Now the rapper Kidd Wes is suing Glover for alleged copyright infringement, claiming that 'This Is America' is "glaringly" similar to a song he himself released two years prior. Kidd Wes is seeking a trial and damages.

jw5

Loyal
1653060759619.png

Travis Scott - 'No Bystanders'​

Three 6 Mafia’s DJ Paul has sued the rapper in a lawsuit which claims that the 'Astroworld' song copied a portion of Three 6 Mafia’s 1997 song 'Tear Da Club Up.' DJ Paul is seeking US$20 million in damages.

jw5

Loyal
1653063071543.png

Ed Sheeran - 'Thinking Out Loud'​

Sheeran was sued twice, with the lawsuits saying that he copied parts of Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get It On' for his Grammy-winning song. Ed Townsend, the coauthor of the song with Gaye, is behind one of the lawsuits. A US judge has stated that there are "substantial similarities."

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 146409

Ed Sheeran - 'Thinking Out Loud'​

Sheeran was sued twice, with the lawsuits saying that he copied parts of Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get It On' for his Grammy-winning song. Ed Townsend, the coauthor of the song with Gaye, is behind one of the lawsuits. A US judge has stated that there are "substantial similarities."

Movies from Japan copied over to Thailand and Hong Kong. Hong Kong movies copied to USA. Nothing new. Only milking the weak.

jw5

Loyal
1653139368575.png

Juice WRLD - 'Lucid Dreams'​

Sting threatened to sue the rapper due to his sampling of his 1993 song 'Shape of My Heart,' even though he is getting 85% of the royalties, according to some now deleted tweets. He used Sting's guitar riff on his track 'Lucid Dreams.'

jw5

Loyal
1653142663151.png

Nicki Minaj - 'Sorry'​

Tracy Chapman sued Nicki Minaj over using a sample from her song 'Baby Can I Hold You' in Minaj's track 'Sorry.' She claimed that Minaj asked for permission to use the sample multiple times after the song was already recorded, but Chapman denied the request. Despite this, Minaj gave it to a DJ at a New York station to be played on his show.

jw5

Loyal
1653143863072.png

Daft Punk and The Weeknd - ‘Starboy’​

Singer Yasminah sued the artists for at least US$5 million, claiming they lifted material from her 2009 song 'Hooyo' for their hit tune 'Starboy.'

jw5

Loyal
1653153874958.png

Miley Cyrus - ‘We Can't Stop’​

In March of 2018, Jamaican musician Flourgon filed a lawsuit against Miley Cyrus, claiming her song 'We Can't Stop' was "substantially similar" to his 1998 tune 'We Run Things.'

jw5

Loyal
1653228988511.png

Ed Sheeran, Faith Hill & Tim McGraw - ‘The Rest of Our Life’​

Country music star Jasmine Rae sued Sheeran, saying the song he wrote for Hill and McGraw was almost a copy of her track 'When I Found You.'

jw5

Loyal
1653232058318.png

Meghan Trainor - ‘All About That Bass’​

Trainor's smash hit was allegedly pulled from South Korean pop band Koyote's song 'Happy Mode,' according to one of the songwriters.

jw5

Loyal
1653238780949.png

The Beatles - ‘Come Together’​

The band was also hit with a suit from legendary rock star Chuck Berry in 1973, who claimed the single borrowed both lines and melodies from his song 'You Can't Catch Me.'

jw5

Loyal
1653315774636.png

Rod Stewart - ‘Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?’​

Rod Stewart's incredibly popular hit apparently used the hook from Jorge Ben's 1976 song 'Taj Mahal.' They reached a settlement and Stewart agreed to donate some of the proceeds to charity.

jw5

Loyal
1653321235363.png

Radiohead - ‘Creep’​

Radiohead's classic anthem was the reason why the band ended up in court after being sued by the Hollies, who claimed the song took from their 1973 tune 'The Air I Breathe.' Tom Yorke eventually admitted he was "inspired" by it and now they all share royalties.