• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fake Sinkie Hock Kee Bak Kut Teh's cook sacked

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
19389.jpg

Hock Kee Bak Kut Teh
Jin Hock Food Place
Upper Serangoon Road (junction of Simon Road)

The proprietors of Jin Hock Food Place coffeeshop have sacked its 'mysterious' and proud Bak Kut Teh cook.

The cook had claimed that he worked for the famous Ng Ah Sio Bak Kau Teh for 20 to 30 years, said one of the properietors.

But the popular Bak Kut Teh chain, which is run by the Jumbo group of restaurants, disputed his claim, saying it had never employed him before.

However, the cook was fired earlier this month for other reason - he kept pressing for more payment apparently.

On top of his salary and profit-sharing, he also demanded transport allowance.

"It was too much," said one of the proprietors. "The operating costs were already high and the stall wasn't making much."

Ex-cook demanded Ang Pow

Elevating his status, the cook had portrayed himself as an accomplished chef who needed special treatment.

The proprietor added: "We even gave him an ang pow of $2,800 as demanded to employ him. He had responded to our newspaper ad and told us about his employment history. We only know that he lives in Yishun, but not sure if he is involved in any Bak Kut Teh business elsewhere."

When one of his bosses asked the cook again about his past employment, he 'adjusted' his story. He told the proprietors before his departure that he had worked for the father of Ng Ah Sio's founder, and not the latter. And that he was not afraid to meet him to prove that he was telling the truth.

But the proprietors were not interested to find out the truth.

Said one of them: "If it was really true, then his cooking standard should have been better. Anyway, we have readjusted the recipe and we have more return customers now. I think he used too much salt and MSG last time. We also paid less for our pork supply now. Previously we had let him get the supply for us and it was too expensive."

The ex-cook's Chinese name on the Hock Kee signboard has been covered up

So how does the Bak Kut Teh taste now?

The soup is still tasty but less salty, while the garlic and pepper flavours are balanced. Overall, it still keeps the Teochew style of pork rib soup and a light taste for the tender pork trotters and side dishes like the braised cotton tofu and 'dried' tofu.

I feel the seasoning for the side dishes could be stronger and more interesting. But those on a low-sodium diet are unlikely to complain.

But if you're hankering for just Bak Kut Teh or the kidney-liver soup in Hougang, you should get a satisfying meal there.

Although the coffeeshop reopened not long ago, there are already a few changes.

The ngoh hiang stall had closed shop while the oyster omelette stall operator is relying on a worker to do the cooking most of the time as he has not been well.

The Nonya-style satays at the oyster omelette stall are pretty good while the Wanton Mee stall is doing a better business now.

Also doing better is the Hokkien Mee stall, the most popular unit there.

If you're interested in setting up a stall there, you can contact one of the proprietors at Tel: 98202888.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No more worries about paying premium $ for that BKT fix.Here comes the simpLe DIY soLution :

1 pack of Toa seng kong BKT spice pack =$2
500 gms of fresh pork ribs =$6
2 Litres of water
4-5 cLoves of garLcs with skin-on
BoiL the water with the pack and garLics for haLf hour.Add in the pork ribs and boiL over sLow fire
for another 20 mins.Serve.SprinkLe the soup with pepper if you wish.

bakuteh.jpg

:wink:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about jumbo 珍宝
Anyone came across the fake 香港街珍记 ?
Apparently they copied everything from the signboard right down to the staff uniforms and menu.
I went to hougang for BE rally and saw this stall in a coffeeshop...ordered their famous 三捞河粉....
The dish came looked nothing like the usual, tasted it totally off...
Took a look at the signage realized it's 香港街珍宝记 with the extra 宝 word....wtf blatant copycat!

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall from your previous post, is that look alike stall own by local or hongkie? :biggrin:

Talking about jumbo 珍宝
Anyone came across the fake 香港街珍记 ?
Apparently they copied everything from the signboard right down to the staff uniforms and menu.
I went to hougang for BE rally and saw this stall in a coffeeshop...ordered their famous 三捞河粉....
The dish came looked nothing like the usual, tasted it totally off...
Took a look at the signage realized it's 香港街珍宝记 with the extra 宝 word....wtf blatant copycat!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall from your previous post, is that look alike stall own by local or hongkie? :biggrin:

Oh sorry old man liao forgot I posted before.
No idea local or Honkie owned, the staff looked like Malaysians.
I mean the original 珍记 have enough of franchise stalls liao but standards more or less kept there.
Knn pop out this fake to con those unawares like that do business is the incorrect way.

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro kena such stall sure tu lan and the food no standard i know how piss you are at that point of time :biggrin:
Next time be alert lo :biggrin:

Oh sorry old man liao forgot I posted before.
No idea local or Honkie owned, the staff looked like Malaysians.
I mean the original 珍记 have enough of franchise stalls liao but standards more or less kept there.
Knn pop out this fake to con those unawares like that do business is the incorrect way.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
19389.jpg

Hock Kee Bak Kut Teh
Jin Hock Food Place
Upper Serangoon Road (junction of Simon Road)

The proprietors of Jin Hock Food Place coffeeshop have sacked its 'mysterious' and proud Bak Kut Teh cook.

The cook had claimed that he worked for the famous Ng Ah Sio Bak Kau Teh for 20 to 30 years, said one of the properietors.

But the popular Bak Kut Teh chain, which is run by the Jumbo group of restaurants, disputed his claim, saying it had never employed him before.

However, the cook was fired earlier this month for other reason - he kept pressing for more payment apparently.

On top of his salary and profit-sharing, he also demanded transport allowance.

"It was too much," said one of the proprietors. "The operating costs were already high and the stall wasn't making much."

Ex-cook demanded Ang Pow

Elevating his status, the cook had portrayed himself as an accomplished chef who needed special treatment.

The proprietor added: "We even gave him an ang pow of $2,800 as demanded to employ him. He had responded to our newspaper ad and told us about his employment history. We only know that he lives in Yishun, but not sure if he is involved in any Bak Kut Teh business elsewhere."

When one of his bosses asked the cook again about his past employment, he 'adjusted' his story. He told the proprietors before his departure that he had worked for the father of Ng Ah Sio's founder, and not the latter. And that he was not afraid to meet him to prove that he was telling the truth.

But the proprietors were not interested to find out the truth.

Said one of them: "If it was really true, then his cooking standard should have been better. Anyway, we have readjusted the recipe and we have more return customers now. I think he used too much salt and MSG last time. We also paid less for our pork supply now. Previously we had let him get the supply for us and it was too expensive."

The ex-cook's Chinese name on the Hock Kee signboard has been covered up

So how does the Bak Kut Teh taste now?

The soup is still tasty but less salty, while the garlic and pepper flavours are balanced. Overall, it still keeps the Teochew style of pork rib soup and a light taste for the tender pork trotters and side dishes like the braised cotton tofu and 'dried' tofu.

I feel the seasoning for the side dishes could be stronger and more interesting. But those on a low-sodium diet are unlikely to complain.

But if you're hankering for just Bak Kut Teh or the kidney-liver soup in Hougang, you should get a satisfying meal there.

Although the coffeeshop reopened not long ago, there are already a few changes.

The ngoh hiang stall had closed shop while the oyster omelette stall operator is relying on a worker to do the cooking most of the time as he has not been well.

The Nonya-style satays at the oyster omelette stall are pretty good while the Wanton Mee stall is doing a better business now.

Also doing better is the Hokkien Mee stall, the most popular unit there.

If you're interested in setting up a stall there, you can contact one of the proprietors at Tel: 98202888.

The Hokkien mee stall standard has dropped, in order to have a higher turn over, he may have shortened the cooking time. The fried oyster stall may have been taken over. Problem with singapore hawker food , high rental, lower food quality