• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FairPrice counts on shoppers’ honesty at self-checkout counters when plastic bag charge starts on July 3

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.straitstimes.com

FairPrice counts on shoppers’ honesty at self-checkout counters when plastic bag charge starts on July 3​

SINGAPORE – FairPrice customers will be trusted to scan a barcode to pay five cents for every plastic bag they take at self-checkout counters from July 3, when the mandatory plastic bag charge kicks in for major supermarket chains.

There are no plans to add more staff at self-checkout counters to ensure that customers comply, said FairPrice Group chief sustainability officer Chan Tee Seng.

“For now, we want to focus on making it seamless, easy and not too bureaucratic,” he told reporters after Senior Minister of State for Sustainability and the Environment Amy Khor visited a FairPrice outlet in Bukit Batok West.

“This is why we have decided to implement an honour system. So we will allow customers to scan the barcode themselves. If they’ve taken five bags, then they scan it five times. And we believe that by and large, many of our customers will do the right thing.”

FairPrice is now focused on training front-line staff, such as cashiers, to explain the environmental reason for the plastic bag charge.

Details of how the funds collected from the five-cent charge will be used for environmental or social causes will be made known in about 18 months, said Mr Chan.

Currently, 11 FairPrice outlets charge 20 cents per transaction when plastic bags are requested at the cashier, regardless of how many bags are used. At 178 convenience stores run by FairPrice, including Cheers and FairPrice Xpress outlets, the charge per transaction is 10 cents.

The mandatory charge of five cents per bag, regardless of the size of the bag, will be applied at all the group’s supermarkets as well as convenience stores, where bags can be smaller than those at supermarkets.
FairPrice is also running a pilot at five outlets for customers to donate their excess reusable bags for other customers to use.

In the lead-up to the bag charge in July, environment organisations like Plastic-Lite Singapore and Zero Waste SG have also introduced bag-sharing initiatives at some supermarkets.

Ms Tan Huileng, executive director of Zero Waste SG, said: “The only major problem is when paper bags are donated – they are not water-resistant to hold groceries, especially frozen food.”

Otherwise, they have found that the bag racks do not need much maintenance as people generally keep the bag racks tidy.

Dr Khor reiterated hopes that the bag charge, which is similar to schemes in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Britain, will reduce plastic bag use by 60 per cent to 90 per cent.
About 400 major supermarkets – or two-thirds of all outlets in Singapore – will charge for disposable shopping bags.

Under the Resource Sustainability Act, larger supermarket operators with an annual turnover of more than $100 million fall under the mandate. These include FairPrice, Cold Storage, Giant, Sheng Siong and Prime Supermarket.

Sheng Siong will implement an in-built plastic bag dispenser at self-checkout counters, said a spokesman. Customers press a button on-screen to receive a plastic bag from the dispenser.

This system has so far been implemented at five Sheng Siong outlets, and will be rolled out to more stores in phases.

The supermarket chain will also train its staff and use collaterals to educate customers about the bag charge.

DFI Retail Group – which runs Giant, Cold Storage, CS Fresh, Guardian and 7-Eleven outlets – said it is working closely with its respective partners to ensure a smooth implementation of the bag charge.

All staff will be briefed and trained on the necessary procedures.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...harge-at-fairprice-self-checkouts-from-july-3

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
When they don't charge, shoppers will be honest. When they charge, and without supervision, shoppers will pay for one plastic bag and take 10.
The problem I foresee is confusion at self checkout counters. Usually you finish payment before you pack the stuff that you purchase. If you only pay for 1 bag and your items cannot fit all in, then you want another bag. Then the staff have to come in KPKB at you plus all the people in the self checkout queue...:biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The problem I foresee is confusion at self checkout counters. Usually you finish payment before you pack the stuff that you purchase. If you only pay for 1 bag and your items cannot fit all in, then you want another bag. Then the staff have to come in KPKB at you plus all the people in the self checkout queue...:biggrin:
That's a good point. But don't you worry, just pay for one, then take as many as you want. If staff kpkb, then tell them you failed maths in school, can they pay for maths tuition for you? I intend to use this reason.:thumbsup::biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
That's a good point. But don't you worry, just pay for one, then take as many as you want. If staff kpkb, then tell them you failed maths in school, can they pay for maths tuition for you? I intend to use this reason.:thumbsup::biggrin:
Plus I am an old fart, I will tell them my eyesight is poor, not able to see the bundle of plastic bags I am taking!:biggrin:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some Jiu hu supermarkets not giving plastic bags anymore.they will get you to buy a more robust grocery bags for RM2 or 3 .

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Citizens are not allowed to use bags, but PAP is allowed to chop down more trees and bulldoze every little piece of greeneries available on this island. On top of which, every contructions works thereafter emit more carbons than the number of plastic bags saved. Less plastic bags also mean more unpacked garbage loosely dump down the rubbish chute for Town council to pick up, otherwise the risk of rat infestation. Where is the foresight from such stupid policy made by the most stupid people in parliament? Don't tell me it was that Amy K again

Laguna123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Citizens are not allowed to use bags, but PAP is allowed to chop down more trees and bulldoze every little piece of greeneries available on this island. On top of which, every contructions works thereafter emit more carbons than the number of plastic bags saved. Less plastic bags also mean more unpacked garbage loosely dump down the rubbish chute for Town council to pick up, otherwise the risk of rat infestation. Where is the foresight from such stupid policy made by the most stupid people in parliament? Don't tell me it was that Amy K again
They are a bunch of hypocrite that will only come out with policies to fatten their coffer. :cautious:

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are smart people...
giphy.gif

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No leh the scanning of barcode is optional. You can choose to take a few bags without even scanning the barcode. Most importantly is to pay for the items that you have taken.

"So we will allow customers to scan the barcode themselves."