• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Facebook slams Singapore’s POFMA law as “severe”

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Facebook slams Singapore’s POFMA law as “severe” after being ordered to geo-block certain pages
Jewel Stolarchuk

2 minutes

Social media giant Facebook has slammed Singapore’s anti-fake news law, the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA), as “severe” and one that risks stifling the freedom of speech, after it was ordered to geo-block a user’s page last week.

On 27 May, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam issued a correction direction to controversial blogger Alex Tan for publishing falsehoods about POFMA in a post that was published on the National Times Singapore Facebook page that Tan runs. Tan had to put up a warning that his post contained falsehoods but refused to do so.

The POFMA office then issued a Targeted Correction Direction to Facebook, asking the social networking site to block users in Singapore from accessing Tan’s page.
In a statement on Monday (1 June), Facebook said that Singapore’s use of POFMA is “severe” and that it risks stifling free speech. Revealing that the company was “legally compelled” to comply with the Targeted Correction Direction, a Facebook spokesperson said that “blocking orders like this are severe and risk being misused to stifle voices and perspectives on the internet.”

The representative added: “Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right, and we work hard to protect and defend this important civil liberty around the world.”

This is not the first time Facebook has criticised the POFMA law. While other tech giants like Google and Twitter have also expressed concerns about POFMA, the Singapore Government has held that the anti-fake news legislation is important to protect the country from falsehoods that could sow lasting discord among its people.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not the first time Facebook has criticised the POFMA law. While other tech giants like Google and Twitter have also expressed concerns about POFMA, the Singapore Government has held that the anti-fake news legislation is important to protect the country from falsehoods that could sow lasting discord among its people.
My multimillionaire ministers like my mother. When they unreasonable but say do it to protect me. Like my mother, they also take my money keep. Take $100 and give $12 when I need say do me a favour liao. Please ensure my mother long life. Long live PAP, huat ahhhhhh
PAP.gif

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is the same as a request to ban monikers, new monikers can just sprout like mushrooms.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the feeds from facebook are also geolocated anyway. i followed many news source from s'pore and oz, now in oz, a lot of current feeds from oz. when i was back in sg earlier this year, feeds shown were mostly from spore.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
Facebook slams Singapore’s POFMA law as “severe” after being ordered to geo-block certain pages
Jewel Stolarchuk

2 minutes

Social media giant Facebook has slammed Singapore’s anti-fake news law, the Protection from Online Falsehoods and Manipulation Act (POFMA), as “severe” and one that risks stifling the freedom of speech, after it was ordered to geo-block a user’s page last week.

On 27 May, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam issued a correction direction to controversial blogger Alex Tan for publishing falsehoods about POFMA in a post that was published on the National Times Singapore Facebook page that Tan runs. Tan had to put up a warning that his post contained falsehoods but refused to do so.

The POFMA office then issued a Targeted Correction Direction to Facebook, asking the social networking site to block users in Singapore from accessing Tan’s page.
In a statement on Monday (1 June), Facebook said that Singapore’s use of POFMA is “severe” and that it risks stifling free speech. Revealing that the company was “legally compelled” to comply with the Targeted Correction Direction, a Facebook spokesperson said that “blocking orders like this are severe and risk being misused to stifle voices and perspectives on the internet.”

The representative added: “Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right, and we work hard to protect and defend this important civil liberty around the world.”

Actually why giant like Google Twitter Facebook afraid of offending a country with small population market of less 6mil?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Actually why giant like Google Twitter Facebook afraid of offending a country with small population market of less 6mil?

They have an office in Singapore so they are obliged to obey the laws of the country.

Facebook Opens Massive 4-Storey Office At Marina One, Launches Startup Accelerator With IMDA

Melissa Chan
2 years ago

fboffice.jpg

This morning, Facebook opened its new Singapore office.
Located at Marine One, the new office space will house Facebook’s Singapore and regional team.
The opening was graced by Minister for Trade and Industry Chan Chun Sing, Managing Director of the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), Chng Kai Fong, Chief Executive of the IMDA, Tan Kiat How, and Mayor of Central Singapore CDC, Denise Phua.
“Asia Pacific is incredibly important to Facebook. Out of the 2.2 billion people who are on our platform monthly, 894 million are here in Asia Pacific,” said Dan Neary, Vice President of Asia Pacific, Facebook.