• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Excellent article on depression suffered by a doctor.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I take Cipralex (escitalopram) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion)

I have been doing some reading on anti depressants and was surprised to find that Bupropion is actually a sex enhancer!

Sounds too good to be true. SSRIs are notorious for killing libido but this pill seems to have the opposite effect!

It is currently being prescribed to smokers in NZ (under the trade name Zyban) to help them quit the habit and is being advertised regularly for this purpose.

NZ aims to become a smoke free nation by 2025 and the publicity is being funded by the tax payer. The drug is subsidized too.

petebike

Alfrescian
Loyal
now that u mentioned this.. i feel that i have really let my gal down..
She works in the A&E.. has to do OT almost every day and faces load of complaints and scoldings from unappreciative, many a times non-emergency case patients ..
and as if that isnt bad enough, she has to deal with a very difficult me when she is home.. :( :(

Anyone who is feeling down should avoid watching the documentary series "24 hours at A & E" produced by the BBC. It depresses the hell out of me. It took me a few days to feel normal again.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
now that u mentioned this.. i feel that i have really let my gal down..
She works in the A&E.. has to do OT almost every day and faces load of complaints and scoldings from unappreciative, many a times non-emergency case patients ..
and as if that isnt bad enough, she has to deal with a very difficult me when she is home.. :( :(

Doctors and other medical professionals are amongst the most depressed group on earth because they get to see the worst aspects of human existence.

The most depressing episodes are those which feature elderly souls that are lying in bed just waiting to die. No visitors, no friends, no nothing except the wait to meet ones maker.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Doctors and other medical professionals are amongst the most depressed group on earth because they get to see the worst aspects of human existence.

The most depressing episodes are those which feature elderly souls that are lying in bed just waiting to die. No visitors, no friends, no nothing except the wait to meet ones maker.

sounds like a old folks home to me.

petebike

Alfrescian
Loyal
damx... i see the difficult me going down that road.. my friends, no visitors.. i am not sure what i should do.. :(

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where do the elderly die? The impact of nursing home utilisation on the place of death. Observations from a mortality cohort study in Flanders

Background
Most of the research concerning place of death focuses on terminally ill patients (cancer patients) while the determinants of place of death of the elderly of the general population are not intensively studied. Studies showed the influence of gender, age, social-economical status and living arrangements on the place of death, but a facet not taken into account so far is the influence of the availability of nursing homes.

Results
240 women and 217 men died during the two years study period. Only 22% died at home, while the majority (78%) died in an institutional setting, either a hospital (50%) or a nursing home (28%). Place of death was influenced by individual factors (age and gender) and the availability of a nursing home in the 'own' parish. The chance of in-hospital death was 65% higher for men (95% Confidence Interval [CI]: 14 to 138%; p = 0.008) and decreased by 4% (CI: -5.1% to -2.5%; p < 0.0001) for each year increase in age. Independent of gender and age, the chance of in-hospital death was 41% (CI: -60% to -13%; p = 0.008) lower in locations with a nursing home.

Conclusion
Demographic, but especially social-contextual factors determine where elderly will end their life. The majority of elderly in Flanders die in an institution. Age, gender and living situation are predictors of the place of death but the embedment of a nursing home in the local community seems to be a key predictor.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
sounds like a old folks home to me.

The old folks featured are the ones that ended up in hospital via A & E. They've usually had a fall, a stroke or a heart attack and are connected to a myriad of wires, probes and drips but of course it is all to no avail.

It is very unlikely they will be discharged alive and well. They usually leave in a box.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The old folks featured are the ones that ended up in hospital via A & E. They've usually had a fall, a stroke or a heart attack and are connected to a myriad of wires, probes and drips but of course it is all to no avail.

It is very unlikely they will be discharged alive and well. They usually leave in a box.

No lah. Nowadays with technology we tend to keep them alive much longer. Fall....fix the fracture and get them to rehab units. Stroke, stabilize and rehab. heart attack - if they don't die in the first 24h they usually live with a stent.

These cases are not the depressing ones. Those dying of cancer who keep going to A&E are the ones more depressing. They are going to die. A matter of when. But keep going to ED when there is nothing much anyone can do.

Also the ones with dementia who the family have abandoned.

Or in Singapore where the family wants to go on holiday and cannot find someone to take care of bedridden grandpa, so cook up some story send to ED and then go off on holiday nobody contactable for 2 weeks.

It is also depressing for health care professionals because in the training/school phase they are taught all these ideals of the profession. What is "right" and what is "wrong". Only to find that in the real practice we basically should just do whatever the patient deems is "right". Many take a while to grapple with this. If they get there faster they adapt better. If they hold out to the principles and ideals they suffer more. So I blame the stupid academicians.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
No lah. Nowadays with technology we tend to keep them alive much longer. Fall....fix the fracture and get them to rehab units. Stroke, stabilize and rehab. heart attack - if they don't die in the first 24h they usually live with a stent.

My neighbour's mum fractured her hip. She was in her late 80s. She was in hospital for weeks.... caught pneumonia... came home in a casket.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

These cases are not the depressing ones. Those dying of cancer who keep going to A&E are the ones more depressing. They are going to die. A matter of when. But keep going to ED when there is nothing much anyone can do.

Also the ones with dementia who the family have abandoned.

Or in Singapore where the family wants to go on holiday and cannot find someone to take care of bedridden grandpa, so cook up some story send to ED and then go off on holiday nobody contactable for 2 weeks.

It is also depressing for health care professionals because in the training/school phase they are taught all these ideals of the profession. What is "right" and what is "wrong". Only to find that in the real practice we basically should just do whatever the patient deems is "right". Many take a while to grapple with this. If they get there faster they adapt better. If they hold out to the principles and ideals they suffer more. So I blame the stupid academicians.

can u soylent green them?what purpose do these human beings have left,intrinsic or extrinsically?do people know the state of growing old?what percentage of the population eventually end up dying in nursing homes or hospitals?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rubbish lah! Doctor so rich how can depression? Like that the ah mah ah gong clear your plates in hawker center call what?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11937038

Kyle MacDonald: What's really behind our rising anxiety?

26 Oct, 2017 12:54pm
3 minutes to read

CCSNLP3IZBFGJF5F7YDO77TSY4.jpg

Young people increasingly feel as if external circumstances dictate their lives. Photo / Getty Images
7bd75303-f093-4059-8442-0ddaca370b96.png

By: Kyle MacDonald
Kyle MacDonald is an experienced psychotherapist and regular co-host on the NewstalkZB mental health awareness show The Nutters Club.
[email protected]@kylemacd

All work and no play, makes Jack an anxious boy?

There is little doubt that anxiety levels are increasing, worldwide. And no faster than in children and young people. And despite what Fox News and various websites might want us to believe, for most of us the world is also getting safer, and we're living longer.

So, why are we getting more anxious?

No one knows for sure but some recent research may shed some light on it. Running alongside the increase in anxiety is a change in the level of control children feel they have in their lives. Studies, looking at responses to the same "test" used since 1960 shows over time there has been a dramatic change. The test measures whether we feel we have control over our own lives (internal locus of control), or whether external circumstances control us (external locus of control).

Young people increasingly feel as if external circumstances dictate their lives.

Instagram, how we look, the need to get a good job, good grades, others' approval (or disapproval), parental expectations, are all external factors. And people who feel like their life is controlled by these external factors consistently feel more depressed and more anxious.

People who feel that their life is more within their own (internal) control are on average happier, feel their life has more meaning and, yes, are less anxious.

However, in his recent blogs and book, psychologist and educationalist, Peter Gray takes this one step further. He suggests that this shift, from internal to external goals, is caused by a world dominated by achievement focussed learning, more class time and testing, and less unstructured time, and "play".

Anxiety is largely the enemy of play and creativity. It locks up our mind, and stops enjoyment and engagement with the present moment - or what the happiness researchers call "flow".

While I agree with the idea that our obsession with achievement over creativity, screens over books, and being productive over just "mucking around" is a likely suspect, this view is also a decidedly middle class version.

Because it is also true that there is nothing like poverty and a lack of stable work and housing to make one feel that life is beyond your control.

Related articles:
NEW ZEALAND
Suicidal teen in hotel after lack of beds
21 Apr, 2017 5:00am
4 minutes to read

Not only is this obvious but it also helps to understand how anxiety and depression is seen at higher levels in lower socioeconomic groups - at the same time as it also affects people regardless of their income.

Because while money doesn't make us happy it does give us choices, but doesn't free us completely from the weight of expectations.

And we all need to make more time to play, regardless of our age.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
U see a lot of uni students hv tired faces on way back home.

And more girls are in unis and after uni most are in keyboard jobs in office.

Not depress is stating the obvious.

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Outwardly, his wife and two young sons are his sources of joy. He seems a regular family man when he's with them. What is less apparent is that Mr Mak Kean Loong struggles to feel emotions like happiness.

“In the past few years, I think I’ve never even felt that emotion,” said the bespectacled 38-year-old, who speaks with the numbed air of a tired man.

At first, they all thought he was “just becoming extra introverted”. It was, in fact, his descent into depression. And just a year ago, he came close to leaving them without a husband and father.
"I didn’t tell my wife," he said. "If you want to end your life, why would you tell someone close to you, right?"

“The first part of the process was to bring my boys and my wife out for a good meal, for them to have something to remember me by. I felt nothing but pain.”

He didn't go through with the suicide. But soon after, through a "mutual agreement" with his employer, he quit his job as an infrastructure engineer with a technology firm to focus on his recovery.
And it's that loss of that part of him that sits bitterly.

More at https://www.prolificcrap.com/forum/...epression-working-adults-battle-demons-stigma

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is why I advocate the Soylent Green option....at least they died with dignity

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
https://news.tfionline.com/post/173319329722/how-to-be-happy-in-todays-crazy-world-3-secrets

How To Be Happy In Today’s Crazy World: 3 Secrets From Research

Eric Barker, Barking Up The Wrong Tree, April 24th, 2018.

Sometimes it feels like the world is actively conspiring against your happiness. There are a record number of people on antidepressants. Enough people in Western nations consume–and then excrete–the medications that they’re at detectable levels in the water supply.

From Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression–and the Unexpected Solutions:

Some one in five U.S. adults is taking at least one drug for a psychiatric problem; nearly one in four middle-aged women in the United States is taking antidepressants at any given time… You can’t escape it: when scientists test the water supply of Western countries, they always find it is laced with antidepressants, because so many of us are taking them and excreting them that they simply can’t be filtered out of the water we drink every day.

For the past few decades we’ve lived under the idea that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your noggin. And while that is true for some people, more and more research is showing that our dissatisfaction may be due less to a broken brain and more to a broken life.

You don’t see so rapid a surge in cases of depression because our genetics or grey matter changed overnight. The world has shifted in ways that are detrimental to the psychological needs of the human animal. That persistent feeling of vague dissatisfaction may be a normal response to abnormal circumstances. The canary in the coal mine.

So journalist Johann Hari spent three years on a journey of over forty thousand miles conducting more than 200 interviews with social scientists and psychologists to discover what was wrong with the way we live today that was causing such an explosion of unhappiness.

His excellent book is Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression–and the Unexpected Solutions.

What he found was that while our world has become very technologically connected, all the sources of unhappiness stem from a growing disconnection in other areas of our lives.

Disconnection From Other People: Loneliness is the equivalent of being punched in the face. I mean, literally.

Your stress response to both–the increase in your body’s cortisol level–is the same.

From Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression–and the Unexpected Solutions:

Feeling lonely, it turned out, caused your cortisol levels to absolutely soar–as much as some of the most disturbing things that can ever happen to you. Becoming acutely lonely, the experiment found, was as stressful as experiencing a physical attack. It’s worth repeating. Being deeply lonely seemed to cause as much stress as being punched by a stranger.

And have no illusions, loneliness is an epidemic in the modern world. A few decades ago, the average US citizen reported having three close friends. Since 2004 the most common answer is… Zero.

I can already hear some people crowing: “I might be dissatisfied but how could it be due to loneliness? I’m always around people.”

Turns out there’s a difference between being lonely and feeling lonely. This is why someone who works a job surrounded by people and then goes home to a spouse and children, can spend very little time alone–and yet still feel profoundly lonely.

In his studies, it turned out that feeling lonely was different from simply being alone. Surprisingly, the sensation of loneliness didn’t have much to do with how many people you spoke to every day, or every week. Some of the people in his study who felt most lonely actually talked to lots of people every day. “There’s a relatively low correlation between the objective connections and perceived connections,” he says.

So what do we need to do? To prevent feeling lonely, we must share something with those around us–something meaningful to both you and them. A belief. A cause. An activity. A goal. We need to be “in it together”–not merely together in the middle of a faceless crowd.

As he researched this, John discovered that there was a missing ingredient to loneliness, and to recovering from it. To end loneliness, you need other people–plus something else. You also need, he explained to me, to feel you are sharing something with the other person, or the group, that is meaningful to both of you. You have to be in it together–and “it” can be anything that you both think has meaning and value.

So join a group. Harvard researcher Robert Putnam has studied group activities for decades–everything from bowling leagues to volunteer groups.

Between 1985 and 1994 involvement in community organizations declined by 45%.

Today, people still bowl, but they do it alone. They’re in their own lane, doing their own thing. The collective structure has collapsed. Think about everything else we do to come together–like supporting your kid’s school, say. “In the ten short years between 1985 and 1994” alone, he wrote, “active involvement in community organizations … fell by 45 percent.”

Famed biologist E.O. Wilson once said, “People must belong to a tribe.” Increasingly, we don’t.

Disconnection From Values: Your pursue “intrinsic values” when you do something solely because you love it. You pursue “extrinsic values” when you chase money or status. Being a patriotic soldier is intrinsic; being a mercenary is extrinsic.

The lesson from the research is clear: the more extrinsically motivated you are, the more you feel motivated by money or status, the more depressed and anxious you are.

Twenty-two different studies have, in the years since, found that the more materialistic and extrinsically motivated you become, the more depressed you will be. Twelve different studies found that the more materialistic and extrinsically motivated you become, the more anxious you will be. Similar studies, inspired by Tim’s work and using similar techniques, have now been carried out in Britain, Denmark, Germany, India, South Korea, Russia, Romania, Australia, and Canada–and the results, all over the world, keep coming back the same.

I know some people are jumping to say, “Well, I’m not like that!” But, to a degree, we have all become more extrinsically motivated. We all care, to some degree, what others think of us and technology often amplifies this to toxic levels. Facebook and Instagram have become gladiatorial status tournaments to show off how cool our lives are.

But when we’re counting “likes” on social media, we let others control our self-esteem. And that places your own happiness outside your control. Not good.

And even if you win, you lose. Studies show that the achievement of extrinsic goals–the fancy car and the impressive promotion–bring no lasting happiness. None. Meanwhile, when we pursue intrinsic goals like being a better parent or trying to improve our writing skills so our blog posts don’t suck, we feel much happier and less anxious.

People who achieved their extrinsic goals didn’t experience any increase in day-to-day happiness–none. They spent a huge amount of energy chasing these goals, but when they fulfilled them, they felt the same as they had at the start…. But people who achieved their intrinsic goals did become significantly happier, and less depressed and anxious. You could track the movement. As they worked at it and felt they became (for example) a better friend–not because they wanted anything out of it but because they felt it was a good thing to do–they became more satisfied with life.

You experience “flow” when you’re so involved in something that you lose track of time. You know the old saying: “time flies when you’re having fun.” Flow is a huge contributor to happiness.

And the more focused we are on extrinsic goals like status, the fewer flow states we experience.

But when Tim studied highly materialistic people, he discovered they experience significantly fewer flow states than the rest of us. Why would that be? He seems to have found an explanation. Imagine if, when Tim was playing the piano every day, he kept thinking: Am I the best piano player in Illinois? Are people going to applaud this performance? Am I going to get paid for this? How much?

So what should we do? Yeah, we all have to pay the bills and achieving a decent level of status is a good thing, but we need to start choosing more activities that serve those intrinsic values.

Spending more time with those we love rather than those who can help us get ahead. More time playing the guitar because it’s fun rather than sharpening our Excel skills to get that promotion.

Spend a little more time with people that make you smile and doing the things that make you smile–simply because they make you smile.

So you’re connecting with people and connecting with your intrinsic values. Great. What’s another connection we’re getting less and less of?

Disconnection From Nature: All other things being equal, move closer to nature and you’ll be happier. Move away from nature and you’ll be more depressed.

…the people who moved to green areas saw a big reduction in depression, and the people who moved away from green areas saw a big increase in depression.

Some might say that’s because rural areas have less crime or less pollution or… Wrong.

If you live in the part of a big city with lots of trees, you get happier. Cart yourself over to the section of the city that’s nothing but concrete and you get sadder.

They compared deprived inner-city areas that had some green space to very similar deprived inner-city areas without green space. Everything else–like levels of social connections–was the same. But it turned out there was less stress and despair in the greener neighborhood.

We simply weren’t meant to spend all our time going from cubicle to couch. Feeling happier can be as simple as spending more time in nature.

The research all says that exercise makes us happier. Guess what? When you exercise outdoors the effect is even stronger.

When scientists have compared people who run on treadmills in the gym with people who run in nature, they found that both see a reduction in depression–but it’s higher for the people who run in nature.

So what happens when you make a consistent, concerted effort to be happier?

You fail miserably. No joke. Deliberate efforts to be happier do not work… in the US and UK, that is.

They tracked thousands of people, some of whom had decided to deliberately pursue happiness and some of whom hadn’t. When they compared the results, they found something they had not expected. If you deliberately try to become happy, you will not become happier–if you live in the United States. But if you live in Russia, Japan, or Taiwan, you will become happier.

What’s going on? It’s not that happiness is unachievable or that hard work isn’t rewarded. The issue here is that the US and UK have the most individualistic cultures. And so the efforts people in those countries make are usually individualistic…

But happiness comes from our connections to other people.

And so when we work toward just making ourselves happy as individuals we often fail. But when we work towards the happiness of a group, we usually succeed.

“The more you think happiness is a social thing, the better off you are,” Brett explained to me, summarizing her findings and reams of other social science.

The modern world promotes a culture of “be yourself.” But if you want to be happy, that isn’t always the best idea.

To find more joy, spend a little less time being you and little more time being us.