- Joined
- Aug 6, 2008
- Messages
- 1,727
- Points
- 0
News @ AsiaOne
Ex-ISA detainee from S'pore to sue M'sian government next
Singapore was still part of Malaysia when Michael Fernandez was arrested in 1964. -AsiaOne
Tue, Dec 28, 2010
AsiaOne
SINGAPORE - Ex-ISA detainee Michael Fernandez now has plans to sue the Malaysian government.
This comes right on the heels of his previous filing of writs against Singapore's Attorney-General for "severe physical and mental torture, humiliation and loss of income" during his detention from 1964 to 1973.
The writ will be filed with the Malaysian High Court by this week and will name Malaysia's Attorney-General and the Malaysian government as defendants.
Singapore was still part of Malaysian when Fernandez was detained in 1964.
Fernandez' lawyer, M.Ravi, said that complaints have also been lodged with the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia and with the Malaysian representative to the Asean Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights.
A spokesperson for Singapore's Attorney-General's Chambers confirmed that the AGC had been served the writ. It has eight days to indicate whether it will contest the suit.
Copyright ©2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise
NetRatings SiteCensus
Ex-ISA detainee from S'pore to sue M'sian government next
Singapore was still part of Malaysia when Michael Fernandez was arrested in 1964. -AsiaOne
Tue, Dec 28, 2010
AsiaOne
SINGAPORE - Ex-ISA detainee Michael Fernandez now has plans to sue the Malaysian government.
This comes right on the heels of his previous filing of writs against Singapore's Attorney-General for "severe physical and mental torture, humiliation and loss of income" during his detention from 1964 to 1973.
The writ will be filed with the Malaysian High Court by this week and will name Malaysia's Attorney-General and the Malaysian government as defendants.
Singapore was still part of Malaysian when Fernandez was detained in 1964.
Fernandez' lawyer, M.Ravi, said that complaints have also been lodged with the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia and with the Malaysian representative to the Asean Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights.
A spokesperson for Singapore's Attorney-General's Chambers confirmed that the AGC had been served the writ. It has eight days to indicate whether it will contest the suit.
Copyright ©2010 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise
NetRatings SiteCensus