• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Even the Swiss question their military service

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
11 January 2011 Last updated at 01:18 GMT
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12083427

BBC News, Bern

Some Swiss feel that the country's military strategy is no longer relevant in the 21st Century Continue reading the main story
Related stories
Germany calls up last conscripts
Swiss Muslim life in wake of minaret ban
Country profile: Switzerland
Switzerland's conscription army is facing an uncertain future, amid calls for compulsory military service to be abolished, and political pressure to keep defence costs down.

Neutral Switzerland requires every able-bodied man to serve in the army, starting with a five-month stint at age 19 or 20, with annual refresher courses lasting several weeks for the next 10 years, and more for officers.

This large army (currently 180,000 men for a population of 7.5 million) is designed solely to defend Switzerland. It will only ever be used in self-defence, and will never fight outside Swiss territory.

During World War II and the Cold War the military thinking was that, should an invasion happen, tens of thousands of infantry would sacrifice themselves defending Switzerland's borders, perhaps even only for a short time, while the rest would withdraw into vast bunkers in the Alps, from where they would fight on.

In the 21st Century, when Switzerland is on good terms with all its neighbours, such a strategy seems irrelevant and outdated to many young Swiss. Germany is already well on its way towards scrapping conscription.

Nevertheless, young men cannot avoid the call-up, and an estimated 8,000 began their first five-month stint this winter.

Reality check

Conditions can be quite a shock for those used to warm, single rooms, televisions and games consoles. New recruits often sleep 45 to a room, and each minute they are awake is planned for them.

A typical day might involve weapons training, target practice, field manoeuvres and first aid classes. All of it, including meals, takes place outside, whatever the temperature. Days are often rounded off with a 25km (15.5 miles) hike with full kit.

"I think a conscription army has a lot of benefits," said training officer Urs Halter. "They get physically fit here, we do a lot of sports. They learn to complete precise tasks within a given time frame.

Officer Urs Halter believes conscription has many benefits for recruits But fitness training and bonding exercises do not add up to a military strategy, and this is not lost on the new recruits, who question the need to serve in the army.

"Like everyone else I'm only here because I have to be," said one young man. "I don't see a war for Switzerland, I don't like all this stuff, all this shooting, I don't think Switzerland needs an army."

"I don't like the gun," added another. "I don't think I'll ever shoot anyone, and if someone told me to do that I would run, and throw my gun away."

This is certainly not what their commanding officers want to hear, but the views of the recruits reflect a modern reality. A government cannot ask young people to give up months of their lives without providing a compelling reason for them to do so.

The Swiss government now faces a triple challenge: defining the threat to modern day Switzerland, persuading young men that serving in the military is worthwhile, and keeping the costs of national defence within reason.

The current budget is around 4.3bn Swiss francs ($4.5bn; £2.9bn) a year, and parliament has suggested it should not go any higher - a blow to the Swiss air force, which had been lobbying for new fighter jets.

Referendum

Switzerland's militia army was regarded for decades by most Swiss as an untouchable national institution.

Requiring all men to serve was seen as fair and democratic, and as a useful way of uniting a country of three different cultures and languages.

Retired army officer Jean-Jacques Britt is one who has fond memories of those times.

"In the Swiss constitution it says every Swiss man has to go into the army," he explained.

"And it became like a social glue, everybody had something in common with the next man, the street sweeper with the bank director, everybody had been through the same school, and this is disappearing, this social glue, and a lot of people regret that," he said.

Young Swiss men have compulsory military service in their sights But the younger generation do not share those regrets. At Zurich University students in a hurry to find jobs in a difficult financial climate see military service as an unwelcome obstacle.

History student and anti-conscription campaigner Adrian Feller says his own spell in the army convinced him it was a thing of the past.

"We just hung around, we shot at targets, we were driven in tanks through the valleys, there was nothing useful for myself and nothing useful for my country."

Adrian and others are now trying to collect the 100,000 signatures needed to hold a nationwide referendum on abolishing conscription, and they think they have a good chance of success.

A recent opinion poll showed that compulsory military service is now supported by just 43% of the population, and among those under 40 the figure is even lower.

The Swiss government knows it must find alternatives, but changing such an enormous national institution will take time.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha...we have it better:

A typical day might involve weapons training, target practice, field manoeuvres and first aid classes. All of it, including meals, takes place outside, whatever the temperature. Days are often rounded off with a 25km (15.5 miles) hike with full kit.

===

25km road march in Singapore...wonder how many will geng MC and seek MP's help to siam. Whatever temperature for Swiss ...Singapore? Cat 1 cancel training rest in bunk...ho seh...

===

The Swiss government now faces a triple challenge: defining the threat to modern day Switzerland, persuading young men that serving in the military is worthwhile, and keeping the costs of national defence within reason.

====

SG has no budget problem...the only problem and the biggest one yet - persuading young men that serving is worthwhile...

And seriously, Switzerland, a declared neutral country, mountaineous and landlocked is of no strategic value ...except maybe as an important waypoint from A to B...but thats to it...

If my geography is correct, Switzerland can be bypassed...if she can remain untouched during WW1 and WW2...i supposed no one takes interest...

It became a playground for spies....thats exciting.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
haha...we have it better:

===

25km road march in Singapore...wonder how many will geng MC and seek MP's help to siam. Whatever temperature for Swiss ...Singapore? Cat 1 cancel training rest in bunk...ho seh...

===

====

SG has no budget problem...the only problem and the biggest one yet - persuading young men that serving is worthwhile...

And seriously, Switzerland, a declared neutral country, mountaineous and landlocked is of no strategic value ...except maybe as an important waypoint from A to B...but thats to it...

If my geography is correct, Switzerland can be bypassed...if she can remain untouched during WW1 and WW2...i supposed no one takes interest...

It became a playground for spies....thats exciting.

Spring Singapore SHOULD market this country as a "Spy Hub" which already is one but not officially. The big big embassies sitting along Tanglin are expensive spy control centres anyway

glock

Alfrescian
Loyal
if switzerland not surrounded by mountain and have neighbour as malaysia and indonesia and nearby is cambodia and vietnam and myanmar , will they be having this question???

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
if switzerland not surrounded by mountain and have neighbour as malaysia and indonesia and nearby is cambodia and vietnam and myanmar , will they be having this question???

If Swiss is surrounded by these people, they will lagi scrap NS. Because the weapons nowsadays will shred you to pieces within seconds while NS slaves are waiting to rush in the hot sun, while the real commander actually ordered the rush for 5 hours later.

Fuck lah, with the WMD these days, unless you got a super large army like China and India, a super cramp Singapore will be flatten in a matter of an hour. Got army got fuck use?! You will be fucked even before you see enemy!