• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2016

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Poland 1-1 Portugal (3-5 on pens): Quaresma sends Seleccao into semi-finals

22584332c84181d310f038a495f02504dec5937a.jpg

Getty

Despite first half goals from Robert Lewandowski and Renato Sanches, it took a penalty shootout to separate the sides, with the Seleccao coming out on top

Portugal booked their place in the semi-finals of Euro 2016 on Thursday as they beat Poland 5-3 on penalties.

The game got off to a bright start with Robert Lewandowski and Renato Sanches finding the net in the first half, but the sides could not be separated again after two hours of play.

With the game resorting to penalties, it was Quaresma who proved the hero, converting the definitive spot kick to send his side into the last four.

It took just two minutes for the deadlock to be broken, with Poland getting off to the brighter start as the ball was cut back to Lewandowski who comfortably slotted in his first goal of the tournament.

Portugal pulled level shortly after the half-hour mark as Nani backheeled to Renato Sanches who powered it home with the aide of a deflection.

However, with Poland focusing on defence from then on, the game faded out, with the second half finishing goalless and the game heading into extra time.

Cristiano Ronaldo passed up an opportunity early in extra-time, and neither side could find the breakthrough, meaning a penalty shootout was needed to separate the two.

And it came down to Quaresma to make the difference, converting from the spot to take advantage of Jakub Blaszczykowski's miss to book a place for his side in the semi-finals.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Del Bosque to resign from Spain job

Oli Platt

JRxUnb0.jpg

Getty Images

The experienced coach will bring his hugely successful spell with the national team to an end when his contract expires next month after their defeat to Italy

Vicente del Bosque has confirmed he will not continue as Spain coach following their last-16 exit from Euro 2016.

The reigning European champions were beaten by Italy on Monday to end their chances of winning a third consecutive continental title.

Del Bosque also guided La Roja to victory at the 2010 World Cup having taken over following Luis Aragones' winning Euro 2008 campaign.

"Without a doubt, I have no intention to remain as coach, but you have to be discreet," Del Bosque told radio station RNE.

"No matter what the result of the Euros, I had no doubt about what my future would be."

A report by Spanish newspaper Marca claimed former Sevilla and Athletic coach Joaquin Caparros is set to succeed Del Bosque.

"I would be excited to manage the national team, any Spanish coach would be honoured to take this job," Caparros said.

"But I hope Vicente stays, he is the best coach possible."

DeBruyne

Alfrescian
Loyal

Williams banking on 'band of brothers' to stop Hazard

Joe Wright

cYXSzhh.jpg

Getty Images

The Swansea defender says Wales must call on their strong team ethic to keep Belgium's star men under wraps, knowing victory for Chris Coleman's side will secure a semi-final spot

Wales captain Ashley Williams has described his team-mates as a "band of brothers" and called on them to halt the threat posed by Eden Hazard on Friday.

The Chelsea forward will lead out Belgium in Lille – where he made his professional debut – against Wales in the quarter-final of Euro 2016.

Swansea centre-back Williams is accustomed to facing the likes of Hazard, Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku in the Premier League.

But the 31-year-old has urged Wales to use their redoubtable team spirit to keep the attacking threat of Marc Wilmots' side at bay.

"He's one of the best players in world, he can make things happen, has excellent balance, scores goals, creates goals," he said of Hazard.

"I have played against him lots of times in the Premier League, but it's not just him. Belgium have quality across the board, across the team, so we will not pay too much attention to him, but keep an eye on him and try and nullify him and the whole team really.

"Lukaku knows me and I know him. He is very strong and powerful, he can score goals. I will still do my research on him this evening, but I know what he's about. It would be great to get a clean sheet against a player like that with all the attributes he has.

"I think that our spirit is massively important and saw us through a lot of tough times. We have grown up together and when times are hard, we stick together. I heard Chris Gunter say it's unbreakable and he's right: it's a band of brothers and we trust each other on and off the pitch."

Williams paid tribute to the Wales medical staff for helping him to recover in time from a shoulder injury that he sustained in the win over Northern Ireland in Paris.

Coach Chris Coleman is delighted to have the defender available for selection and praised his qualities as captain in a squad full of strong individual characters.

"I'm probably old-fashioned, but you need leaders, plural," he said. "We have a really good dressing room, a real good bunch of lads.

"We've found ourselves in a great position, but it wasn't always like that. We had some tough times, some dark days, and that's when you learn about people – and Ashley has never disappointed.

"He is a great credit to us, a great captain of this country, it's a great honour for him to be captain and he plays with great pride.

"We have great players and you need someone with a strong character to lead them. There's also [Gareth] Bale, Rambo [Aaron Ramsey], Joe Allen is quieter, but leads in different way, Chris Gunter has 70-odd caps and he's still only 26.

"I'm probably old-fashioned, but I think it's extremely important to have someone that leads the group."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vertonghen to miss rest of Euro 2016 due to torn ankle ligaments

Peter Hanson

vUvK1or.jpg

Getty Images

Belgium have received a blow ahead of their quarter-final clash with Wales, with the Spurs defender ruled out for the rest of the tournament after suffering an injury in training

Belgium head coach Marc Wilmots has confirmed the Jan Vertonghen will play no further part in the remainder of their Euro 2016 campaign after he sustained torn ankle ligaments in training and is facing six to eight weeks out.

The Tottenham defender, who has predominantly featured at left-back throughout the tournament in France, sustained the injury during training ahead of Belgium's quarter-final tie against Wales on Friday.

Vertonghen's absence is a blow to Wilmots, who is already without suspended Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen.

"I blew the whistle to stop training and he turned his ankle as he brought the ball down," Wilmots told reporters on Thursday.

"He had a scan here and he has torn two or three external ligaments, which mean his Euros are over.

"It's a sporting tragedy for him - I won't say it's a real tragedy. He was completely fit mentally and physically but fate decided that on this particular movement, that he would do 10,000 times his ligaments would tear.

"He was our vice-captain and we've got Thomas Vermaelen, who's banned. But we've got alternatives. We face a tricky fixture but the players have been with us for four years.

"We have options there. We're thinking forward, to the future. We've got 19 players fit and ready to play and we have to try to get into the last four."

Asked about a timescale for Vertonghen's return, Wilmots added: "Based on our forecast it should be between six and eight weeks.

"He suffered the same injury before and it took about that long to recover. But it depends on his rehabilitation.

"We've been in touch with [Tottenham head coach Mauricio] Pochettino and the Tottenham doctor."

Belgium, who have been without injured captain Vincent Kompany in France, had been expected to shift Vertonghen into the centre to partner club-mate Toby Alderweireld with Jordan Lukaku coming in at left-back.

However, Vertonghen's absence may now hand an opportunity to 21-year-old Jason Denayer when Belgium face Wales in Lille.

Conte

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte: Germany the most complete side in the world

By Jon Fisher in Bordeaux

zFvgQSi.jpg

Getty Images

The 46-year-old says his team must be "absolutely extraordinary" if they are to beat Joachim Low's side on Saturday and progress to the last four of the tournament

Italy coach Antonio Conte has hailed Germany as "the most complete side in the world" ahead of their quarter-final clash at Euro 2016 on Saturday.

Conte's men were trounced 4-1 by Germany in a friendly in March and the soon-to-be Chelsea manager is a huge admirer of the world champions.

He said: "We are playing a very strong team. I think they're better than Spain at this moment in time. They have everything that a strong side needs, technical ability, talent, physical power, organisation, tactical set-up ... they are the most complete side in the world.

"They are in a very good period with a lot of strong players."

Conte insisted his team has improved since that friendly defeat just over three months ago and says he is enjoying defying the critics who wrote Italy off prior to the tournament.

"If we were to go back a month, this game would not have been a contest for a number of people looking at the sides, but now we are here on the eve of a quarter-final.

"We started our journey at the European Championship with little credibility, not just from the Italian media but also the international media. Everyone thought it was dark days for the Italian game but we are showing that, through hard work and organisation, and 23 players who are working hard, that we could do something extraordinary against Spain.

"On Saturday we will have to do something absolutely extraordinary.

"We have made significant progress since the friendly, we learned a great deal. It was a resounding defeat for us but that will give us greater stimulation to see if the gap has got bigger or smaller."

Despite talking up Germany at every opportunity, Conte made it clear his players would not be intimidated at facing such quality opposition.

"I don't know if I'd have preferred being at home as opposed to being stressed," he joked.

"I don't need to keep an eye on stressing them out, there are more serious problems than emotional stress.

"We view Germany as by far and away the best side in the world but I don't want to stress my players out from this perspective.

"We've studied the opposition as it will be a different match to the Spain game. We're well aware of our strengths and weaknesses, as we are those of the opposition."

Conte refused to state whether midfielder Daniele De Rossi had recovered from injury but acknowledged any starter had to be "120 per cent fit for games like this" and also dismissed suggestions the fact Italy have 11 players on a yellow card suspension would be a hindrance.

"It shouldn't be a concern for my players because there is no tomorrow for the losers so bookings and suspensions are the last things on our mind," he said.

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Low not surprised by impressive Italy

Jon Fisher in Bordeaux

ZEu2M6l.jpg

Getty Images

The Azzurri's run to the quarter-finals comes as no surprise to the World Cup-winning coach Joachim Low, and he warned his side to be wary of their all-round quality

Joachim Low had a suspicion Germany would meet Italy in the Euro 2016 knockout stages after the world champions thrashed Antonio Conte's men 4-1 in March.

Italy were comprehensively beaten in that friendly in Munich but Low is not surprised Conte has managed to transform the Azzurri from seemingly rank outsiders into genuine title contenders in just over three months.

"I thought it back then because the Italians recover from a loss like that, they are not influenced by it," he said of the prospect of the teams meeting at the competition following that eye-catching result.

"We know the Italians, they grow as a unit at tournaments like this. They have got very good players, several of whom know each other from playing together at Juventus.

"Friendlies are not decisive games, we've seen that a couple of times in preparation games. In 2014 we did many things wrong [shortly before they won the World Cup] but the most important thing is what happens in a tournament."

Germany have yet to concede in their four games at Euro 2016 and Low is hoping for another efficient performance in Bordeaux.

"We have analysed Italy and seen their other games," he said. "They don't have only defensive qualities, they have good solutions in attack as well.

"Their side has great quality and, for us, it will be a balance between defence and attack. We must not commit mistakes and we must take our chances when they come as we may not get as many as we did against Northern Ireland."

After a week of analysis, Low claims his players are well drilled and know what to expect.

"It's about details," he said. "We will talk to the players on Saturday but they are already aware of what is going to happen. We have ideas but there are many mechanisms in our game that are automatic.

"We are confident because we know our strengths but it is about the opposition as well. We must consider our own game but also the opposition's.

"The players are very relaxed but when we get to this stage before a game the tension rises. Every game we know could be the last. The side has worked with a lot of concentration but there have also been moments of relaxation, so it's all about balance."

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon: It would be offensive to compare myself to Neuer

By Jon Fisher in Bordeaux

q5sCLND.jpg

Getty Images

The Juventus goalkeeper says he has no intention of disrespecting his opposite number ahead of the quarter-final clash with Joachim Low's world champions on Saturday

Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon insists there will be no inferiority complex when he comes up against Germany's Manuel Neuer, a goalkeeper he once described as "better than him", on Saturday.

Buffon and Neuer will be at opposite ends of the pitch when Italy take on the world champions in the Euro 2016 quarter-finals and the Juventus veteran is relishing the prospect.

"I said Neuer is better than me, because in the end it may be true," he said. "It's not something that bothers me or demeans me or what I am. I am well aware of what I have been, what I am now, and where I will be in two years. It makes me feel very calm.

"It would be offensive to compare him to a 38-year-old goalkeeper. It seems normal to give this kind of answer as, over the last four or five years, he has shown himself to be an outstanding goalkeeper in every aspect."

Buffon concedes it will be a tough test for Antonio Conte's men in Bordeaux and feels they will be "pushed to the limit".

He added: "There is no other route other than to try to keep on improving as much as possible to give ourselves the chance to go through and keep dreaming.

"When you look at the side we face we know just how difficult it will be. It's a match where there will be blood, sweat and tears and the emotional and physical aspect will be pushed to the limit but we are well aware of that and that's important going into the match.

"Of course you have belief when you are midway through a tournament, be it a World Cup or European Championship, and you have beaten Belgium, Sweden and Spain.

"We have great awareness of what we're doing and we have great belief."

Buffon has twice played against Germany in semi-finals, at the World Cup in 2006 and Euro 2012, with Italy emerging victorious on both occasions. Indeed, Germany have never beaten the Azzurri at a major tournament.

Comparing those games to Saturday's encounter, he said: "There was more anxiety in 2006. It was the semis of the World Cup against the host nation and we also had the burden that we wanted to prove something to all the foreign-based Italians.

"That definitely had an impact the day before the game.

"We weren't the favourites in 2012 and we needed to come up with something special to reach the final and achieve something historic.

"As for Saturday's game, there are a number of parallels with Euro 2012, certainly on paper, and the gap could be even more significant as, since then, they have won the World Cup."

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Iceland at a standstill for Euros, but tourism thrives

AFP on July 2, 2016, 4:22 am

5776b631abf5a_21899d0ef0811fc9fee86c4b2902a27316714a7e-1bnddhh.jpg

Reykjavik (AFP) - With a large part of its population in France for the Euro 2016, Iceland has pretty much come to a standstill except for its tourism sector, which is booming.

Ahead of Iceland's historic quarter-final match on Sunday against host France, estimates vary on how many Icelanders have travelled to France, ranging from 10,000 to 50,000.

Whatever the number, it's a large part of the 330,000-strong population, depriving the North Atlantic island of a good share of its labour force.

With flights from Iceland to France fully-booked, every Icelander seems to have a story about friends' odysseys to reach Paris: one is taking a plane to London via Berlin and catching the Eurostar, another is flying to Amsterdam and renting a car...

Fans are spending lots of time and money to join their national heroes -- leaving jobs at home unattended.

But football fever has not affected the tourism sector, in peak season now.

Foreign visitors continue to flood to the island, drawn by the awe-inspiring nature that resembles a lunar landscape with its black lava fields, impressive ready-to-blow volcanoes and mythical geysers.

"We're a small company with 15 employees, and six have left for France. So we're managing, we're dealing with it. It's the same for a lot of people," a French travel agent in Reykjavik, Sebastien Tranchand, told AFP.

Foreigners who booked trips here long before the Euro 2016 are thrilled to arrive at this serendipitous moment, enjoying the upbeat mood and party atmosphere.

"There's an interest from tourists in football. Particularly men, who ask questions. But it's small talk, they (really) came for the Icelandic nature," said Anna Karolina Gestsdottir of tourism company Around Iceland.

"I'm not sure that we've had more tourists thanks to the Euro. June-July is a busy time anyway. Everything is fully booked," she said.

- Whale watching as consolation -

The tourism industry is omnipresent in Iceland. In central Reykjavik, you get the impression its the only industry in town, with little Icelandic heard on the streets in this early summer period.

Over the years, apartments have increasingly been converted into more-profitable apartment hotels, to the dismay of young Icelanders who don't own their own homes.

In the future, Iceland's new football fame may draw even more tourists.

International media outlets have rarely written as much about the country as now, and photos of its enthusiastic players and fans are turning into great publicity.

"People don't know Iceland. For them it's a distant place in the middle of the Arctic -- and that's what they're looking for," said Sebastien Tranchand.

"This will not bring us fewer tourists, that's for sure," said tour guide Ivar Hauksson who watched Iceland eliminate Austria from the Euros with Austrian tourists.

Iceland beat Austria 2-1 in extra time and "it was a little tense."

A company that organises whale watching tours in the Atlantic even took advantage of the football frenzy to do a little free advertising: it offered English players free tickets as a consolation prize if they were to lose to Iceland.

And lose they did, defeated 2-1 in the last 16. But none of the England players have taken up the whale watching offer yet.

"They are welcome anytime!" said Gudbjartur Jonsson.

The country had a record 1.3 million foreign tourists in 2015, the lion's share from the US and Britain, compared to 1.0 million the previous year.

This year is expected to be another record year, with an increase of 30 percent forecast.

Some wonder whether the rising numbers of tourists is sustainable for the island's pristine ecosystem. But that's an issue Icelandic footballers only see from afar -- they all play abroad.

Pelle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Florenzi believes in-form Italy are feared

Stefan Coerts

5VAxqek.jpg

Getty Images

Ahead of the Azzurri's quarter-final showdown with Germany, the Roma full-back praised his team-mates for their efforts and said other teams are now scared of Antonio Conte's men

Alessandro Florenzi believes all teams at Euro 2016 fear facing Italy due to their impressive performances in France.

Antonio Conte's men surprised with a 2-0 win over Belgium in the group stages, before shocking Spain by the same scoreline in the round of 16.

They now face world champions Germany in the quarter-finals and versatile wing-back Florenzi hopes they can replicate their performance from the Spain match.

"I think everyone is a little scared of Italy right now," Florenzi told the official UEFA website.

"We have proven to be a good team, one that never gives up.

"We are happy that other teams fear us, because that means we have been playing well.

"I hope we continue to do so and approach our next game just like we did in the round of 16 game against Spain."

Italy have never lost to Germany at a major tournament, beating them 2-1 when they last locked horns in the semi-finals at Euro 2012.

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lloris calls for mental strength to see off Iceland

Dom Farrell at Stade de France

9uaPA6M.jpg

Getty Images

Some teams playing more attractive football have been sent home from Euro 2016, a fact not lost on the goalkeeper before Les Bleus take on the minnows

Hugo Lloris believes Wales' shock quarter-final win over Belgium offers a timely reminder to France that reputations count for little at Euro 2016.

The hosts conclude the last-eight stage at Stade de France on Sunday against major tournament debutants Iceland, who sensationally dumped England out during the previous round.

Wales, also newcomers to the European Championship, fell behind to a superb Radja Nainggolan strike in Lille on Friday but goals from captain Ashley Williams, Hal Robson-Kanu and Sam Vokes completed a remarkable and deserved 3-1 comeback victory.

"We didn't need to see the Wales result to be wary of every team in the competition," France captain Lloris told a pre-match news conference.

"There have been surprises from the outset of this tournament. It's not enough to just be a top side to make it into the top four.

"The sides who have played the best football are not necessarily in the competition anymore. I think now it is about the team mindset. A team's mental strength can make the difference and we must focus on that against Iceland."

A theme of France's campaign has been sluggish starts preceding stirring and successful finishes.

Antoine Griezmann's second-half brace during the last-16 clash with the Republic of Ireland overturned a 1-0 deficit, brought about by Robbie Brady's second-minute penalty.

Asked why his team only seem to perform with their backs to the wall, Tottenham goalkeeper Lloris joked: "That's very French, I would say."

He added: "From my side of things it's not a great problem to not have a great start to the match. What is important is achieving the result you want.

"What does bother me is having [a] spoke between our wheels through a lack of aggressiveness. That's what led to the penalty [against Ireland] and could be a problem for the team.

"Conceding within a couple of minutes could be terminal for the team's chances. So far we are able to bounce back, but it is better to avoid that."

Lloris played alongside Gylfi Sigurdsson for two seasons at Tottenham and is fully aware of the qualities possessed by Iceland's midfield dangerman.

"He's a lovely individual, he's got great values and I really believe he's a great player," Lloris said.

"Unfortunately, the fact that he's Icelandic means he isn't so well known in France, but he is very highly rated on the other side of the channel

"He had a great season with Swansea City, he can score goals with either foot and puts in some great balls from set-pieces.

"Iceland is not a one-man team with Gylfi Sigurdsson, but he is very important to the team."

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deschamps: Iceland are not just long-throw merchants

By Kris Voakes

69qF6xe.jpg

Gettyimages

The Nordic minnows have shocked many with their ability from throw-ins, but the France coach insists they have more to their armoury that just that ahead of Sunday's quarter-final

Didier Deschamps says his France side will not treat Iceland as a bunch of long-throw experts when the two sides meet in Sunday’s Euro 2016 quarter-final.

The Nordic nation progressed to the last eight by virtue of a shock 2-1 victory over England in Nice on Monday, with their first goal coming as a result of one such throw.

But while many have praised the minnows for their expertly choreographed routines Deschamps insists they have much more to their game.

“We’ve worked on things, but we know Iceland are not here by chance. They have not stolen their place here, and they are not just about the long throws it’s just that they have more throw-ins than corners so they make the most of it,” the France coach told a pre-match press conference.

“But they have a number of other attributes about their play, they don’t just loft the ball forward they also most the ball swiftly around the deck. They have players of athletic power but they have [Johann] Gudmundsson, [Birkir] Bjarnason and [Gylfi] Sigurdsson who are very technically gifted. What’s important is really making sure we are up to the challenge.”

Deschamps will be forced into a defensive change to the France side which saw off the Republic of Ireland in their round of 16 encounter due to the suspension of Adil Rami.

But while Barcelona-bound Samuel Umtiti has been tipped for an international debut, Deschamps has not ruled out calling upon Manchester City’s Eliaquim Mangala instead.

“Do you want me to tell you Eliaquim Mangala’s attributes too or are you not bothered?!” he joked when asked about the Lyon defender’s qualities.

“Samuel has a lot of experience because he has already played in the Champions League with Lyon and was an under-21 champion with France. He’s very strong in the challenge, is technically gifted with the first pass out of defence and is worthy of being an international player as well as earning a potentially big move.”

The clash with Iceland takes place on Sunday at the Stade de France, with the winners facing Germany or Italy in Thursday’s second semi-final.

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;ai8g5_erZfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8g5_erZfE[/video]

Germany vs Italy 1-1 All Goals - Penalty (6-5) EXTENDED Highlights (ENGLISH)

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;SIwYGgNw5eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwYGgNw5eE[/video]

Germany vs Italy 1-1 (6-5) FULL Penalty Shootout

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;q0LXjLq5VvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0LXjLq5VvU[/video]

One of the worst penalty kicks ever. Zaza Awful Penalty vs Germany EURO 2016

[video=youtube;tQJST8Cx-ag]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQJST8Cx-ag[/video]

Germany vs Italy 1-1 All Goals & Highlights Euro 2016

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=dailymotion;x4ig837]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ig837_france-5-2-iceland-hd-all-goals-highlights-03-07-2016-hd_sport[/video]

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...d-hd-all-goals-highlights-03-07-2016-hd_sport

France 5-2 Iceland HD All Goals & Highlights (English)

[video=youtube;G1O7G8_Z1II]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1O7G8_Z1II[/video]

France 5-2 Iceland Goals and Highlights (ENGLISH) - EURO 2016 Quarter Finals

Last edited:

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Germany 1-1 Italy: (AET 6-5 penalties): Die Mannschaft into last four after crazy shootout

By Chris Myson

Y4B3ShV.jpg

Getty Images

Jonas Hector scored the decisive spot-kick as Joachim Low's men booked their place in the semi-finals of Euro 2016 following a 1-1 draw after extra time in Bordeaux on Saturday

Germany won a dramatic penalty shootout 6-5 to book their place in the Euro 2016 semi-finals and send Italy crashing out in Bordeaux.

After 120 minutes of action ended in a 1-1 draw, Jonas Hector netted the winning spot-kick after seven players failed to convert in an unbelievable sequence of penalties on Saturday.

Simone Zaza, Graziano Pelle, Leonardo Bonucci and Matteo Darmian all missed for Germany, who saw Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil and captain Bastian Schweinsteiger also fluff their lines.

Ozil looked to have put Germany on course for victory in normal time, but Bonucci's late penalty – after a handball from Jerome Boateng – ensured the game progressed to extra time and then spot-kicks.

The thrilling win helped Germany gain a measure of revenge for a run of eight consecutive defeats to the Azzurri in major tournaments, including a semi-final loss four years ago at Euro 2012.

World champions Germany are now the first team to make the last four at six consecutive major tournaments.

Joachim Low's side will face either hosts France or Iceland in Marseille next Thursday when they will bid to make a record seventh European Championship final, although Mats Hummels will miss the match through suspension after picking up a booking against Italy.

Germany switched to three at the back with Benedikt Howedes replacing Julian Draxler, but they suffered a blow when Sami Khedira limped off after only 16 minutes as skipper Schweinsteiger came on to replace him.

Schweinsteiger, whose outing saw him equal Miroslav Klose's European appearance record at major tournaments, had a goal disallowed for shoving Mattia De Sciglio to the ground before getting on the end of Hummels' cross and planting a header beyond Gianluigi Buffon.

Germany had the best chance of a quiet first half when Muller scuffed a presentable opportunity straight at Buffon, and the Bayern Munich man was denied by a flying Alessandro Florenzi on the goal-line shortly after the interval.

But the breakthrough did arrive with 25 minutes remaining when Mario Gomez slipped a pass through to Jonas Hector down the left and his cross deflected off Bonucci, allowing Ozil to stab home from eight yards for his first goal of the tournament.

Italy stayed in the game when a magnificent reaction save from Buffon prevented Giorgio Chiellini's tackle on Gomez from flying into the net, but Boateng gave them a lifeline after 77 minutes.

Boateng inexplicably raised his hands to block a Chiellini flick and referee Viktor Kassai immediately pointed to the spot.

Bonucci had not scored for his country since September 2014, but he confidently found the bottom-right corner from the spot despite Neuer guessing correctly as he conceded for the first time in the competition.

Germany substitute Draxler came closest to finding an extra-time goal when his flick narrowly missed the target before he over-hit a pass when he could have released Muller on the break a few moments later.

After both teams scored their first spot-kicks thanks to Lorenzo Insigne and Toni Kroos respectively, unbelievable drama ensued.

Zaza had been brought on in the final seconds of extra time to take a penalty, but he blazed over after a bizarre run-up, before being relieved to see Buffon immediately save from Muller.

Andrea Barzagli's successful conversion was then followed by Ozil striking the post, but, astonishingly, Pelle tamely struck wide to allow Draxler to level the shoot-out.

Bonucci was then thwarted impressively by Neuer, giving Schweinsteiger the chance to seal victory, only for the midfielder to incredibly shoot way over as the first five penalties ended with the score level at 2-2.

Emanuele Giaccherini, Hummels, Marco Parolo, Joshua Kimmich, De Sciglio and Boateng all held their nerve as tension reached breaking point.

But Darmian, Italy's ninth taker, was soon thwarted by Neuer and Hector stepped up to score low under Buffon - who left the pitch in tears - and send Germany's players wild.

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

France 5-2 Iceland: Giroud at the double as hosts set up semi-final clash with Germany

By Nicholas McGee

S55P6IF.jpg

PROSHOTS

The Arsenal striker scored twice with Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and Antoine Griezmann also on the scoresheet as Didier Deschamps's men cruised into the last four of the tournament

France surged into the semi-finals of Euro 2016 as they ended Iceland's fairytale run in brutal fashion with a 5-2 win at the Stade de France on Sunday.

Iceland stunned the football world by coming from behind to beat England 2-1 in the last 16, but were run ragged by France, Didier Deschamps' side easing through to book a last-four meeting with Germany in Marseille on Thursday.

Blaise Matuidi set up Olivier Giroud for the opener and the floodgates quickly opened, France 4-0 up by half-time. Paul Pogba answered some of his critics by heading in France's second and fine finishes from Dimitri Payet and Antoine Griezmann had them in complete command by the interval.

Debutants Iceland restored some pride through Kolbeinn Sigthorsson's close-range finish before Giroud added his second of the night for France, who head to the Stade Velodrome to take on the world champions with significant momentum. Birkir Bjarnason pulled another back with eight minutes left, but the damage had long since been done.

The rout began in the 12th minute by Giroud's second goal of the tournament.

Matuidi clipped a well-weighted ball into the path of the Arsenal striker, who finished superbly as he fired through the legs of Iceland goalkeeper Hannes Halldorsson.

Against England Iceland responded almost immediately to falling behind, but France refused to allow them a route back into the game and the hosts' advantage was doubled eight minutes later through Pogba's towering header.

The midfielder has been criticised for his performances at the tournament, but demonstrated his athleticism as he rose highest to thump Griezmann's corner home.

Undeterred, Iceland went close to halving the deficit, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson narrowly turning over after latching on to Kolbeinn Sigthorsson's flick-on from a long throw.

A Gylfi Sigurdsson free-kick almost surprised Hugo Lloris, but any hope of a remarkable Iceland turnaround was extinguished in a devastating spell shortly before half-time.

Payet continued his excellent tournament by arrowing a strike into the bottom-right corner from the edge of the area to make it 3-0.

And Griezmann piled on further misery for Iceland as he was slipped through on goal, netting France's fourth with a sublime lob over a helpless Halldorsson.

Sigthorsson turned in Sigurdsson's near-post ball in 11 minutes after the restart, yet that was only brief respite for Iceland as Halldorsson was caught in two minds, allowing Giroud to divert a Payet free-kick into the net.

Sverrir Ingason drew a stunning save from Lloris before Bjarnason gave the Iceland fans one final reason to cheer by nodding in Ari Skulason's cross, but it is France who take another step towards a first major tournament triumph in 16 years.

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Germany were superior but lucky against Italy - Low

By Dejan Kalinic

iw5eWKB.jpg

Getty Images

The coach feels Die Mannschaft should have sealed their spot in the Euro 2016 semi-finals in normal time in a very tactical game against the Azzurri on Saturday

Germany coach Joachim Low insisted his team deserved their win over Italy in the Euro 2016 quarter-finals on Saturday, but feels they should have wrapped it up in normal time.

Jonas Hector netted the winning spot-kick after Manuel Neuer made two saves as Low's men claimed a 6-5 shoot-out victory after a 1-1 draw in Bordeaux.

They may have needed penalties, but Low felt Germany were unquestionably the better of the two teams.

"It was a game on a very high tactical level from both sides," he said.

"I think we were superior. The Italians' strength was in the centre and we did well to contain them. I didn't think they would score but the penalty was unfortunate.

"Of course it was lucky in the end but through the game we were superior, we had two or three more chances than them.

"We could have won the game when Mario Gomez was alone in front of Buffon but he saved very well."

Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil and Bastian Schweinsteiger failed to convert their penalties, but Neuer managed to keep out efforts from Leonardo Bonucci and Matteo Darmian.

Low said he had little say in who took Germany's spot-kicks, but praised the likes of Hector, 26, and Joshua Kimmich, 21, who scored theirs.

"I did not have any influence. The first five decided quite quickly and then you have to let players choose depending on their feelings," he said.

"We have some good penalty takers even though we missed some.

"What was positive was that the youngsters Hector and Kimmich stepped forward and, in such an atmosphere, that they kept calm."

Low had a much bigger say during the 120 minutes, opting for a back three to try and counter Antonio Conte's men.

It seemingly paid off as Ozil gave his side the lead in the 65th minute, only for Jerome Boateng to handle in the area to concede a penalty that Bonucci converted.

Explaining his formation, Low said being tactically flexible had been a focus for his team since their 2014 World Cup win.

"After the World Cup it was apparent we had to change a little bit otherwise the opposition would know us too well," he said.

"We have trained with it and used it in March against Italy so it wasn't such a big change for the side.

"France will be different opposition, I will have to see how to play that match, or Iceland of course."

Pogba

Alfrescian
Loyal

'We were lacking power and energy' - Sigurdsson frustrated with Iceland's first half performance

Dom Farrell at the Stade de France

ottao6x.jpg

Getty Images

The Nordic side were unable to find the intensity of their earlier Euro 2016 displays during the first half against Les Bleus, said the midfielder

Gylfi Sigurdsson conceded Iceland's Euro 2016 heroics caught up with them as they bowed out with a 5-2 quarter-final defeat to France at the Stade de France.

Lars Lagerback and Heimir Hallgrimsson named the same XI that secured draws with Portugal and Hungary before sensationally beating Austria and England, but tackling the hosts at the national stadium proved a bridge too far.

Olivier Giroud latched on to Blaise Matuidi's lofted pass to break the deadlock after 12 minutes and Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and the superb Antoine Griezmann were all on hand to conclude a bruising opening 45 minutes for Iceland.

Giroud completed his brace during the second half but Kolbeinn Sigthorsson and Birkir Bjarnason ensured Icelandic pride remained intact by getting on the scoresheet.

"We were lacking a bit of power, a bit of energy during the first half. It was not the usual Icelandic performance," Sigurdsson said. "It was all about restoring some pride and giving the fans and the people back home a performance during the second half.

"France were 4-0 up at half-time and probably thinking about the next game, resting themselves and making sure they didn't get injured.

"I'm not worried about winning the second half. We lost the game."

The Swansea City midfielder added: "The way we played the first four games - playing very physically with high energy and defending really well - all of the games were played to the last second.

"We were hanging on in a few of the games, England and Austria. We never really had a game where we were 3-0 up and cruising so we could make some changes to rest players.

"I think that probably played in France's favour because they have got a very big squad, had some good results and could rest some players.

"Apart from how good technically they were tonight, I think they had a lot more energy."

Iceland's fans contributed to a scintillating atmosphere in Saint-Denis, regularly launching into their now customary "Viking" chant.

Despite enjoying a resounding victory, France's players had long left the field by the time Sigurdsson and his team-mates finished soaking up the acclaim from a vocal travelling contingent.

"That was the thing with all of the games - the fans have been incredible," he said. "The scenes from back home have been amazing.

"If I wasn't here I would probably want to be back home watching the games with the fans.

"Even though we lost they were celebrating and cheering us on. Those are the things you will remember for the rest of your life."