• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Esso station puts water in their in their diesel fuel, damaged customer's car

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The couple spent more than $140,000 on a new Volkswagen Touran TDI 1.6, which they collected on Sept 21.

Three months on, Mr Cheah Khuan Yew, 37, and his wife Jessica, 41, have found themselves saddled with a $28,000 bill.

The engine and fuel system of their car have been ruined as a result of water tainting the diesel in the fuel tank, and has to be replaced.

The couple, who are in the banking industry, are baffled with what could have introduced water into the diesel.

"We were told it's premature ageing. Basically, it's like a three-year-old car with a 10-year-old engine," said Mr Cheah, drawing his own analogy to show the extent of damage.

"It's been almost three months. As a consumer, I buy a car to drive. I'm not buying a risky puzzle,'' he added.

They told The New Paper last Friday that they first noticed the problem just days after they bought the diesel-powered car.

It was meant to replace their seven-year-old second-hand Honda Civic, which they use mostly only on weekends or to take their three children to school.

But after Mr Cheah pumped diesel into the four-day-old car at an Esso service station, things started going awry.

When Mrs Cheah drove the car the next day, she noticed that it "felt funny".

The engine was stuttering, which meant the tachometer would fluctuate even when the engine was left idling.

"I thought it was just a one-off thing. A woman is not so sensitive to car-related things," she said.

But when her husband also noticed the problem, they realised that something was not right.

On Oct 3, the couple sent their seven-seater to the Volkswagen Centre at MacPherson Road, as advised by the staff member manning the Volkswagen Roadside Assistance hotline.

They were told that the car had been damaged, probably due to tainted diesel.

"They said it was not covered (under the warranty). I couldn't believe it. It's a brand new car," Mrs Cheah said, recalling her exchange with the Volkswagen service staff.

An analysis of a sample of the diesel as part of a preliminary test found the water content to be higher than what is allowed in the Euro V standard for diesel.

The car was then sent to the Volkswagen Centre at Alexandra Road for further inspection.

In the interim, Volkswagen loaned the Cheahs a courtesy car.

On four occasions in October and November, Volkswagen hired LKK Auto Consultants to assess the damage to the car. A Volkswagen Group Singapore spokesman confirmed this.

"We have since carried out an investigation on this case and a third party surveyor discovered there was water content in the fuel tank," he said.

In a detailed report, LKK Auto Consultants found that the engine stuttering was due to its low compression of air.

When that happens in a diesel engine, the fuel cannot be ignited and the car stalls.

According to the report, the low compression was a result of damaged parts in the car's engine, likely due to the presence of excess water in the diesel.

"The water content that was contained in the diesel of the motor car was likely due to external factor(s) and unlikely to be a result of manufacturer defect(s)," the report said.

The recommendation was to replace the entire engine and fuel system of the car.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing surprising in Sinkieland any more.

Know of a bugger who had a BMW 5 series decade back reasonably new condition. Service station attendant pump diesel in a petrol car. He was completely speechless when he realized the problem when paying.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They can go to Haad Yai and have their car engine replace with Toyota engine at a fraction of that cost

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Nothing surprising in Sinkieland any more.

Know of a bugger who had a BMW 5 series decade back reasonably new condition. Service station attendant pump diesel in a petrol car. He was completely speechless when he realized the problem when paying.

I am wondering if this happened in this case. Its possible that they were pumping petrol into their diesel car becuase they are so used to it, as their prior car was a petrol powered Honda. And it was the first time they were filling up the Volkswagen. Any way air compression issues is not caused by contaminated fuel. I don't know where they got this consultant from.

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am wondering if this happened in this case. Its possible that they were pumping petrol into their diesel car becuase they are so used to it, as their prior car was a petrol powered Honda. And it was the first time they were filling up the Volkswagen. Any way air compression issues is not caused by contaminated fuel. I don't know where they got this consultant from.
hahaha...different days, same shit....
u really have the IQ of a retard....
they have done workshop inspection and lab analysis and here you can still speculate this and that.....
your ge kiangness is really out of this world.....

the logical question in this case is how did the water got into the car...
if it is introduced from the petrol station, then there should be other cars involved????
so this is the puzzling part..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
water in diesel fuel is a known problem, especially when the gas station fuel tank is buried in the ground where it's near impossible to drain residual water away. water inadvertently collects in tank due to chemical reactions and oxidation. the problem exacerbates with cooler rainy weather when condensation happens, and tank is not sealed tight from moisture. this is especially true in winter. in sg, condensation can still happen in poorly sealed vehicular and station diesel fuel tanks during cooler rainy days. anyway, when you open the cap, moisture will inadvertently sip in. stay away from diesel cars, especially newer models. they are notorious for water problems.

http://www.bellperformance.com/blog...iesel-Fuel-7-Must-Knows-For-Getting-Rid-of-It

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
water in diesel fuel is a known problem, especially when the gas station fuel tank is buried in the ground where it's near impossible to drain residual water away. water inadvertently collects in tank due to chemical reactions and oxidation. the problem exacerbates with cooler rainy weather when condensation happens, and tank is not sealed tight from moisture. this is especially true in winter. in sg, condensation can still happen in poorly sealed vehicular and station diesel fuel tanks during cooler rainy days. anyway, when you open the cap, moisture will inadvertently sip in. stay away from diesel cars, especially newer models. they are notorious for water problems.

http://www.bellperformance.com/blog...iesel-Fuel-7-Must-Knows-For-Getting-Rid-of-It

not imprt if the tank r buried... its steel with glassfibre jacketing. double layer. water detectors also incorporated. chances r low. water may enter engine if the gasket is not properly sealed. having a mic made in china with angmoh badge does not render much credential.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not imprt if the tank r buried... its steel with glassfibre jacketing. double layer. water detectors also incorporated. chances r low. water may enter engine if the gasket is not properly sealed. having a mic made in china with angmoh badge does not render much credential.

sometimes so called "empty" fuel storage tanks are buried with water already in them. most likely due to carelessness in manufacture, storage, transportation, and installation of these storage tanks. i've seen tanks being installed with openings exposed and left to collect rain water and dew in the construction process. banglas and nehs don't care, and sinkie contractors are fucked up.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes so called "empty" fuel storage tanks are buried with water already in them. most likely due to carelessness in manufacture, storage, transportation, and installation of these storage tanks. i've seen tanks being installed with openings exposed and left to collect rain water and dew in the construction process. banglas and nehs don't care, and sinkie contractors are fucked up.

nope. they r cleaned out n there is testing to be done and again there is leak detector. i seriously doubt it's the stations problem since this is an isolated case which dont come well for regularly used pumps to b giving problem to only 1 ride.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is there any way to check for water content before supplying to the petrol stations?
y dey bother? ... dey r not using ze containers ... ze petrol stations shud cheq ... dey r ze 1's selling diesel/petrol ...

y shud petrol stations bother? ... dey r not using ze petrol/diesel ... ze car owners shud cheq demselves ... dey r ze 1's using ze petrol.diesel ... :eek:

Last edited:

parrardee

Alfrescian
Loyal
y dey bother? ... dey r not using ze containers ... ze petrol stations shud cheq ... dey r ze 1's selling diesel/petrol ...

y shud petrol stations bother? ... dey r not using ze petrol/diesel ... ze car owners shud cheq demselves ... dey r ze 1's using ze petrol.diesel ... :eek:

But is there any way for the car owners to check if the suppliers and the petrol station people do not?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nope. they r cleaned out n there is testing to be done and again there is leak detector. i seriously doubt it's the stations problem since this is an isolated case which dont come well for regularly used pumps to b giving problem to only 1 ride.

does sg have an audit and inspection system of check and balance as stringent as that in germany? i doubt. for gas stations, it's voluntary like in the u.s., i think. diesel fuel pumps in the u.s. are notorious for water content.

http://www.sgs.com/en/oil-gas/Asset...ge-Tank-Inspection-Audit-and-Calibration.aspx

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well step one complete. Ruin their reputation . Then complain to the regulator with a letter from Volkswagen . That's how you deal with crooks like esso

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The car owners juz have to wear the cost. The chances of them winning in a lawsuit against the petrol station is close to nill.