• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Eng's Noodles House : Wan Tan Mee Cashier's face not so happy

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This chilli sauce looks like from Nando.

Chilli+noodles.jpg

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
meat eaters really have so much problems , even in getting a service from a meat eating cafe.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
After recommendation from a friend to try it out. It was quite tasty and do really like the super hot chilli. Really numbs the tongue though.
While have gone there quite a few times, have noticed that there is quite a plump lady manning the cashier, not sure it she is the daughter of Mr Ng (the owner, noticed he walks with a limp), that when you gave her a S$50 note to pay for the meal, while it is understandable that normally a cashier will asked whether if the customer have smaller change, but when you say no, immediately the face will turn, become very unhappy. Have notice that quite a few times already.

Even my friends do have the same experience. Was wondering if it is really that diffcult to give change out of S$50 notes.
Perhaps they should change the cashier, or next time before going over there, make sure carry smaller change:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The guys, serving, clearing the tables, definitely are more friendly. That's for sure.
Anyway, still enjoyed the Wantan mee.

Why do you still want to go there when she sho you black face, we are the customer if no small change than ask not black face,

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why do you still want to go there when she sho you black face, we are the customer if no small change than ask not black face,

In fact, cut down going there already. If not for firends and family insistence sometimes to go over, as they enjoy it.
Would not bother at all.

Maybe next time use S$10,000 note.
Let's see what happen:biggrin::biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone here ever patronised them when they were in Duku Rd in the 60s ...their pushcart days.

In those days got plenty of choices lah. :smile: When I think back to the satay stalls at Beach Rd, wanton mee at Koek Rd/China town, Cozy Corner & Mont Dor at Orchard Rd food I remember how much has changed & what the PAP has cost to our food culture.

I remember eating wanton mee in the shop houses at China town where they even had cutting services. Noodles then were very long & sometimes you needed to ask them to use the scissors to cut down the noddles to manageable lengths:biggrin:

That memory has remained with me all these years. Nowadays it's more likely that you need 2 to 3 plates to fill you up:(

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
how about waterloo street?.....did you whack the ah neh meesiam, rojak etc etc.....i remember that even when you were walking by they would try to get you to sit down and makan. Mild touting .

In those days got plenty of choices lah. :smile: When I think back to the satay stalls at Beach Rd, wanton mee at Koek Rd/China town, Cozy Corner & Mont Dor at Orchard Rd food I remember how much has changed & what the PAP has cost to our food culture.

:(

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how about waterloo street?.....did you whack the ah neh meesiam, rojak etc etc.....i remember that even when you were walking by they would try to get you to sit down and makan. Mild touting .

My thought was on Albert Street, near Selegie.
I remember vividly when we used to go for supper after midnight show at Rex Theatre with the family. Always looking forward to watch midnight show (It was on every Saturday)

Stalls lining along Albert street, I still recall the very first stall sells Wan Tan Mee.
I also remember, somewhere at the middle sells Fried Hokkien Mee (Charcoal was used then), taste good too.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
didnt go Albert Street all that often but if i did then i usually went to Fatty Weng's ....liked their fried rice. Now so many Fatty Weng's until dunno which is real

Stalls lining along Albert street, I still recall the very first stall sells Wan Tan Mee.
I also remember, somewhere at the middle sells Fried Hokkien Mee (Charcoal was used then), taste good too.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
didnt go Albert Street all that often but if i did then i usually went to Fatty Weng's ....liked their fried rice. Now so many Fatty Weng's until dunno which is real
The real one at Burlington lah, just opposite SLS, love their Hokkien Mee

Last edited:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, I remember now, Fatty Weng's does have a restaurant along Albert street, somewhere towards the end of the street.
At night, they will have a chi char stall right in front of their restaurant. Air conditioning in restaurant was not the norm then.

Still I think, the hawker fare taste better.
Or perhaps, at that time, Fatty Weng restaurant, was also quite pricey too.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I remember now, Fatty Weng's does have a restaurant along Albert street, somewhere towards the end of the street.
At night, they will have a chi char stall right in front of their restaurant. Air conditioning in restaurant was not the norm then.

0023YNC4FDC3601EE57D2Fl.jpg

Wing Seong Fatty's Restaurant
175 Bencoolen Street
#01-31 Burlington Square
Tel: 63381087

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya quite pricey compared to the other stalls thats why we went only occasionally and usually ordered only the fried rice and a veg dish or two.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes I would go there with friends after visiting the National Library. In those days everyone took the good & cheap food for granted. Also remember eating at Hock Lam Street.

Didn't realise how low the standard of indian rojak had become until recently when I re-discovered an ex-waterloo stall. They are now located at the Albert food court. Their rojak is definitely better than others I've tried.