• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

End game of current 2008 financial meltdown

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Financial Decelerator
Fed Chairman Bernanke has a strategy to stave off another depression, but he can't do it alone.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/09/AR2008100902440_pf.html

Friday, October 10, 2008; A18

A STUDENT of the Great Depression, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke has a strong sense of what caused that calamitous crash, and of what central banks and other government institutions did, or failed to do, to keep it from getting worse. Central to Mr. Bernanke's analysis is the concept of a "financial accelerator." Roughly, this is the idea that a breakdown in the financial system, uncorrected by government, exacerbated what might have otherwise been a relatively mild drop in "real" production.

Applying this lesson, Mr. Bernanke's Fed, in concert with the Treasury and other government agencies, has been pouring liquidity into the system for the past year, with relatively less regard for the long-term balance sheet of the U.S. government. Fed lending to financial institutions now totals $800 billion, Mr. Bernanke said Tuesday. That's not counting past interest rate cuts, the Fed's new plan to buy short-term commercial paper, or the Treasury's $200 billion seizure of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- or the $700 billion rescue plan for distressed financial assets.

This raises a difficult question: At what point, precisely, will it become safe for the Fed to turn off the liquidity tap? But that question must wait for another day. Unless the Fed can engineer a gentle splashdown for the economy, the system could crash so hard that repaying today's emergency borrowing would be the least of our worries. Of course, that assumes that even the wisest policies can prove effective. The International Monetary Fund's gloomy forecast for the first half of next year -- zero or slightly negative growth in the developed world -- is actually relatively optimistic, in that it does assume policy success.

Certainly, we can't accuse Mr. Bernanke of insufficient effort. On Wednesday, he threw yet more liquidity at the problem, in the form of a half-percentage-point cut in the Fed's key interest rate. The novelty this time -- and it was a welcome one -- is that he acted in concert with the central banks of other countries, notably the European Central Bank, which had previously made inflation-fighting its top priority. But with Europe's banking system tottering, the ECB changed course, raising hopes for much-needed continued international policy coordination.

The first opportunity to extend and deepen that coordination comes at an international meeting of finance ministers and central bankers in Washington, beginning today. The mood will be grim, befitting a crisis that Mr. Bernanke has labeled "historic." We hope that, despite understandable feelings in some European countries, the meeting will not turn vindictive with respect to the United States. Yes, the current crisis can be traced to America, thanks to a combination of unwise monetary and regulatory policies that facilitated the subprime mortgage bubble. The root cause, though, lies in the global glut of savings -- the piles of foreign exchange earnings that exporters such as China and the oil-producing states of the Persian Gulf accumulated and then recycled through the financial systems of the developed world. There were no effective international mechanisms for recognizing and managing the risks created by what was, in hindsight, too much easy money. It's good that governments seem to be getting together to deal with today's crisis. Soon, they will have to start devising ways of preventing the next one.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Currently now US is the biggest debtor nation. Everyone is pointing their fingers at them for their excess.US is bankrupt. Short of plunging everyone else into debt and poverty I don't see how that can be solved.

I think the strategy now is plunge the global markets, reduce the paper wealth, and make everyone in the world poor.

Once everyone is poor, no more pointing fingers.

Non listed international banks will take out their horde of gold and start buying up everyone else.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
Currently now US is the biggest debtor nation. Everyone is pointing their fingers at them for their excess.US is bankrupt. Short of plunging everyone else into debt and poverty I don't see how that can be solved.

I think the strategy now is plunge the global markets, reduce the paper wealth, and make everyone in the world poor.

Once everyone is poor, no more pointing fingers.

Non listed international banks will take out their horde of gold and start buying up everyone else.

At the same time, the 700 billion dollar bailout plan is designed to rescue a select group of bankers with insider Washington connections from collapse.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oil price hike was the carrot for the oil producing countries to stick to the dollar despite it depreciating.

But then the oil producing countries were dumping the US dollars.

Oil price fall is the stick for the oil producing countries for dumping the dollar.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Geopolitics is a very complicated game with financial positioning now being incorporated into the reportoire. National interests will prevail in this financial crisis. Let us hope no major conflict arises from this crisis. Bad times, has historically begotten bad relations.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oil price hike was the carrot for the oil producing countries to stick to the dollar despite it depreciating.

But then the oil producing countries were dumping the US dollars.

Oil price fall is the stick for the oil producing countries for dumping the dollar.

That's pretty cool analysis. Btw, is that Jimi Hendrix?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Geopolitics is a very complicated game with financial positioning now being incorporated into the reportoire. National interests will prevail in this financial crisis. Let us hope no major conflict arises from this crisis. Bad times, has historically begotten bad relations.

brother,you very cheem cheem man. how come write so serious here? must be A* scholar type. geopolitics.financing positioning. incorporated into the repertoire.wahlau i got to buy a thick dictionary man! thanks for the new
learning curve.

financing positioning leads to this catastrophic financial debacle meh???

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
brother,you very cheem cheem man. how come write so serious here? must be A* scholar type. geopolitics.financing positioning. incorporated into the repertoire.wahlau i got to buy a thick dictionary man! thanks for the new
learning curve.

financing positioning leads to this catastrophic financial debacle meh???

No it's cool! Continue posting cheem stuff. There's too much crap and irritants on this forum. :smile:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once everyone is poor, no more pointing fingers

If one follow the system blindly then you will fall wildly.

If you take it wisely and know the ins and outs . You be less binded by the system !

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
End game of current 2008 financial meltdown

It's not game over yet....

It will hit ASIA badly in the next year.....when it will be felt directly.

Many will suffer for a year or 2......then just nice for 2011 election...

PAP WILL BLOODY LOOSE BIG TIME!! LOL...

CALLING ALL OPPOSITIONS!! PREPARE FOR THE FINAL BATTLE!!!

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let us hope it can be next year. Many EU countries that were stating their confidence in their own economies and arguing that it is basically a US problem for 3 weeks in September have all retracted their statements now and are sound less and less optimistic by the day, especially Germany, who put on the most confident face in EU.

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
The world burns while singapore still in the golden period.

dont believe me? email my PAP bosses to get the right figure.

in singapore, recession is a lie. We PAP people are more updated. Dont trust the world news, they are trying to do singapore in.

It's not game over yet....

It will hit ASIA badly in the next year.....when it will be felt directly.

Many will suffer for a year or 2......then just nice for 2011 election...

PAP WILL BLOODY LOOSE BIG TIME!! LOL...

CALLING ALL OPPOSITIONS!! PREPARE FOR THE FINAL BATTLE!!!

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are not wrong, moniker Tiu-leh-see-fart! Good show! All the necessary planning has been done long before this crisis began to show its ugly face. We will weather this crisis. For other countries, it could be catastrophic. But if we work together, it will be just another minor bump on the road.

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey comrade,
lets join force to convince the monikers here.
we PAP monikers are better than them.
dont worry,our bosses are not what they think.
66% support us.
we must keep identity secret.
cheers, happy you acknowledge me.
how come makappa moniker not around, we two can hatam him left right cte.

You are not wrong, moniker Tiu-leh-see-fart! Good show! All the necessary planning has been done long before this crisis began to show its ugly face. We will weather this crisis. For other countries, it could be catastrophic. But if we work together, it will be just another minor bump on the road.

newcat

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey comrade,
lets join force to convince the monikers here.
we PAP monikers are better than them.
dont worry,our bosses are not what they think.
66% support us.
we must keep identity secret.
cheers, happy you acknowledge me.
how come makappa moniker not around, we two can hatam him left right cte.

Two idots waiting for their master to save them.

To All brothers, only we can help ourselves at bad times.

Spend wisely and always work smart and hard for the money.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear moniker Tiu-leh-see-fart, I am not sure about you, but I keep my identity in strict confidence. However, my heart to serve this great nation of ours is true and the cause is just! Remember, my fellow moniker, constructive discussions. Let us make a bigger world of this place and Singapore where we all call home!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear moniker Tiu-leh-see-fart, I am not sure about you, but I keep my identity in strict confidence. However, my heart to serve this great nation of ours is true and the cause is just! Remember, my fellow moniker, constructive discussions. Let us make a bigger world of this place and Singapore where we all call home!

so when are you gonna cut these people off some slacks?

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?p=67924#post67924

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont worry sir, i know what you mean-constructive debate---ok ok sure.
we will work together to make singapore a good place for monikers.
We must convince the monikers that PAP is the best Govt in the world.
You also do a very good job here, keep it up.
The rest of us are not so good, nevermind, we take the lead, comrade.
cheers.

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
we are from the same bridage.
not happy is it?

my comrade div-one can debate better than you, try him lah. He can be constructive.

Two idots waiting for their master to save them.

To All brothers, only we can help ourselves at bad times.

Spend wisely and always work smart and hard for the money.