• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Elderly woman in Johor dies after eating puffer fish, husband in ICU

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elderly woman in Johor dies after eating puffer fish, husband in ICU​

Elderly woman in Johor dies after eating puffer fish, husband in ICU

Puffer fish sold at a wet market. (File photo: iStock)
29 Mar 2023 12:00PM (Updated: 29 Mar 2023 12:00PM)
:;
www.channelnewsasia.com

JOHOR BAHRU: An 83-year-old woman in Kluang, Johor has died after eating puffer fish while her husband is still being treated in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
According to state news agency Bernama, Johor Health and Unity Committee chairman Ling Tian Soon in a statement on Tuesday (Mar 28) said that the couple had bought the fish from an online seller on Facebook.
He said that it was the couple’s first time consuming puffer fish.
According to Mr Ling, the couple ate the fish at around 3pm on Saturday before the elderly woman started shivering and experiencing shortness of breath.
Her husband displayed the same symptoms an hour later.
"The couple was taken to the Enche' Besar Hajjah Khalsom Hospital, Kluang by their children who live separately before the wife was pronounced dead at 7pm the same day,” Mr Ling was quoted as saying by Bernama.
He added that their case has been classified as “food poisoning caused by puffer fish”.
"In fact, the cause of death is given as 'food poisoning with neurological manifestation resulting in respiratory failure with cardiac dysrhythmia possibly due to ciguatera toxin or tetradotoxin ingestion' from the puffer fish," he reportedly said.
Mr Ling added that no new report has been received regarding the case and that all the fish sold on that date has been taken by the District Health Office (PKD) for analysis.
"A total of 15 kilogrammes of the puffer fish were sold to four customers in Chamek and Paloh, including one in Yong Peng on that day.
"Apart from the couple, the other customers have not eaten their puffer fish yet,” Mr Ling was quoted as saying by Malay Mail.
According to him, further investigation found that the fresh puffer fish was obtained from fishermen in Endau, Mersing before being taken by wholesalers to be processed in Batu Pahat and then distributed to customers based on orders.
"I would like to remind the people of Johor to be careful in choosing food especially if it has risks," he said.
Despite the poisonous nature of puffer fish, it is a delicacy in several countries and regions in Asia, including the Malaysian state of Sarawak.
In 2017, local media reported that the Malaysian Health Ministry was considering a regulation to make the sale of pufferfish illegal unless it has been made safe first by “qualified persons”.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), puffer fish contain the deadly toxin tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin that may cause severe illness or death. The health agency said that the toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking or freezing.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
m&ds know nothing about preparing fugu. They should just stick with eating those smelly catfish.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
About time they made selling it illegal without preparation permits so that public is protected and a whole new industry is created.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Elderly woman who died did not know she was eating poisonous fish​

March 29, 2023 @ 9:59pm

user posted image

KLUANG: Octogenarian Lim Siew Guan, who died after eating puffer fish at Kampung Chamek, Paloh, on Saturday, had no idea that the fish she prepared was poisonous.

According to the victim's daughter, Ng Ai Lee, 51, her father, Eng Kuai Sin @ Ng Chuan Sing, 84, bought the fish from a peddler who sells from a van that comes to his old folks' home.

She said her family was sad and regrets that the seller did not inform her father, a regular customer, that the fish he bought was poisonous.

"This is the first time my father had bought this type of fish. When my brother brought my parents to the hospital, my father told him that he did not know the fish he bought was puffer fish and was poisonous.

"This is the first time my parents ate puffer fish. They would not have taken it for fun because they are careful and health-conscious people.

"I contacted the seller before my mother passed away, and it's true that my father has been buying fish from this seller roughly once a week.

"The seller said that he has been selling puffer fish all this while and his customers have been okay. The seller also said that the poisoning could be due to other food or my parents' health," she said when contacted.

Ng said her mother was buried in a Chinese cemetery near their house today, while her father still lay unconscious in the intensive care unit (ICU) at Enche' Besar Hajjah Khalsom Hospital, here.

"I hope the authorities will take appropriate action so that no one else will become a casualty because the sale of poisonous fish is not regulated.

"An earlier statement that said my father bought the fish via Facebook is not true. Right now my family is facing a difficult time and we don't know what actions to take, other than make a police report.

"However, we hope that the authorities will do right by my parents who fell victim to the irresponsibility of the fish seller, who would risk other people's lives for their own benefit," she said.

Previously, the media reported that an elderly woman died while her husband was being treated in the ICU after eating puffer fish on Saturday.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2023/03/...-poisonous-fish