• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

EDMW thread about "Can Chinese Nationals integrate well into Singapore culture?"

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

radish :​

from my observation, most of chinese or even indian nationals they will prefer stick to their community rather than really mix deeply with locals. angmohs on the other hand are more adventurous, i know a few who really integrated into sg.

china community often call sg 坡县 and various belittling names. they do not place sg in any high status . in their heart china is always number 1 and most of them will want to return to china some day which there is nothing wrong actually bec china is their homeland and never forget they are here to study or to earn money, v v few admire sg, want to join sg and for the rare cases that they prefer to stay permanent in sg its bec they have some push factors back home in china.

firesong :​

abbakonghee said:
Based on the Chinese I know, they can't eat local food.. mainly stick to their Chinese food only
Yes and no. I think some try, but it's not easy to force people to change their diets suddenly. It takes time especially when the flavour profile is not something they are used to. I also know of some PRCs who do make the effort to eat our food and share our culture, and some who have lived her for 2-3 years being quite okay with eating from the hawker centre - though the "safer" choices.

I've lived overseas for a long period before, and from time to time I missed Singaporean flavours and food. It's a sense of familiarity that does take away the loneliness and sense of being foreign.

The ones who I find die die refuse to try local food are more often the Indians than the PRCs.

AZE :​

If chiu ish just talking about food... Some of my PRC colleagues actually lub durians...:o
And don't quite mind local food though most of them would prefer chinese dishes.

As for integrating in other means it depends... Most of those that stayed here for a long time(10-20+yrs), or grew up here integrate ok for the most parts. Some of the younger ones especially those that grew up here from young or from birth actually prefered SG over China.:o

pieface :​

Definitely cannot integrate well. People forget before CECA, PRC was the sore thumb that stood out and everyone was lambasting the tiongs for their behavior.

First of all they will insist on speaking their version of mandarin with an extremely thick accent mix with their own provincial dialect influence over the Singapore version. They also will for some odd reason criticize Singaporean accent when they ownself choose to come here and flee from china. They expect us to conform to them not the other way around.

Secondly they will not mix with Singaporeans, they will always prefer to stick to their own kind aka fellow tiongs. Any place with a huge group of them they will form their own clique and not bother to interact with Singaporeans. Just like our local unis.

So many cases of tiongs acting out like barbarians and screaming at Singaporeans like the simei condo incident or they will just poop, piss or spit everywhere like they do in China,

lyzergnature :​

can

its all in the mind

i know a couple from mainland one

joined us during secondary

they still retain the accent but the vocab and diction they use u can see is very alike sinkie sumore is northeners not hokkien lang or canto yan

its all in the mind lor

got 40+ yo brit also open mouth very alike sinkie

say he spent 10 years here

can la why not

i thot utube got this sisters their family from china but they grow up here their sinkie accent i also hats off to them

Shutterbox :​

those that came in the 2000s, work or study and stay on, generally integrate well
I've got few ex colleagues who are tiongs (from north n south china) came to work in Sg with their family.

we talk cock in mix of china and local slangs.

their kids grow up, take pink IC, go NS, go NUS, etc
they go back china, kids not used to china life.

those who are here for the past few years, not sure if they as willing to be rooted.

iPod Jack :​

Had a prc chinese classmate many years ago... dun like local food, dun like to mix with other races / maybe english poor, had his own views on chinese communist politics... basically from a homogeneous society with only 1 race.

https://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/...ntegrate-well-into-singapore-culture.6575848/

pvtpublic

Alfrescian
Loyal
as long as they leave their little red book and communist ideas at home in China, they will do fine here.