• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic News

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes not everyone wants to stay in a big big house. My Singapore property is near to City centre and its a pigeon hole. For the same price I can get a BANGLO in East Ledang with pool to relax.

Singapores are mostly lucky to be staying in HDBs which are heavily subsidied. And the small size makes it so easy to do cleaning. I have to employ 5 chaps to do spring cleaning for my blango in Malaysia but for my HDB flats, I myself spend 5 hours to do it.

For Singaporeans, a lot of factors determine what they will buy. $6k a month salary plus other spouse's similar salary, combined is about S$12k. (Rich by Malaysian standard?!)

With S$12k, can consider SG condo. But also depends if got kids.

Not everyone wants to live in a big house. Actually, there could be more problems. Quite ironic huh! Sometimes "small and cozy" is the in-thing to some people.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inspectors in Malaysia are one of the richest over there.

Basic Salary: RM 3000 a month
Commission: RM 30,000 a month

According the IPG during a press conference today : "swamped with over 40,000 applications from fresh graduates, largely Malays, for 200 inspector positions".
40,000 for 200 posts = only 1 : 200 chance and may means 39,800 fresh graduates will be still be jobless for some time.
Civil services and GLCs are still the main employer for Malays.
Times are not getting better.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Inspectors in Malaysia are one of the richest over there.

Basic Salary: RM 3000 a month
Commission: RM 30,000 a month

Actually inspector is not ordinary mata kia liao, so many chasing a good decent jobs actually is reasonable. How much mata inspector make in sg? Inspector is how many fish bone on shoulder?
Yes not everyone wants to stay in a big big house. My Singapore property is near to City centre and its a pigeon hole. For the same price I can get a BANGLO in East Ledang with pool to relax.

Singapores are mostly lucky to be staying in HDBs which are heavily subsidied. And the small size makes it so easy to do cleaning. I have to employ 5 chaps to do spring cleaning for my blango in Malaysia but for my HDB flats, I myself spend 5 hours to do it.
Not everyone want to stay in big big house. Ask u la, u can only choose one after u fully retire, big banglo in east ledang vs pigeon hole near city centre, which one would u choose?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually inspector is not ordinary mata kia liao, so many chasing a good decent jobs actually is reasonable. How much mata inspector make in sg? Inspector is how many fish bone on shoulder?

Not everyone want to stay in big big house. Ask u la, u can only choose one after u fully retire, big banglo in east ledang vs pigeon hole near city centre, which one would u choose?

Actually all these are Malays, patrotic and looking for secure job. But Malaysian Chinese mostly go for business. Even they start as wage earner, it is in their blood to start business later in life. Earning RM30k per month is not that difficult. It all depend on you want easy or hard life.

I stay big house now. But I can see when I get old at 65, mid size condo will do. That why I just bought a 1389 sq ft unit. When too old, very hard to buy then. So start planning when you are still able.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
No offence to Malaysians but I'm surprised the median income is only RM6,200. Moreover, it's HOUSEHOLD, not single income! That's like S$2,000 only, which is less that what a single, fresh 22 year old diploma holder earns in SG. No wonder many Johoreans want to come to SG to work, and Singaporeans move over to stretch their dollar!

So all those RM700k and above condos and landed houses often discussed here are really the game of SPRs and foreigners only? To sell them off next time, I think can only look for such like-minded, or financially equivalent buyers.

I am slowly beginning to see how limited the secondary market will be in future, what with the huge number of higher priced properties coming on board.

So you were surprised.
And that was the median household income, many are also getting much lesser.
You'll be more surprised to know that the min. wage was just RAISED to RM1,000 this year.
You probably imagine with this pay, you can't even afford to pay for just transportation and food in SG!
But in MY, they can raised a family with it.
So now you finally realized that most of the new condos and higher end properties were targeted at.
With the various restrictions imposed on foreigners on resale and given the low demand from locals such properties, demands from resale should not be a surprise anymore.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you were surprised.
And that was the median household income, many are also getting much lesser.
You'll be more surprised to know that the min. wage was just RAISED to RM1,000 this year.
You probably imagine with this pay, you can't even afford to pay for just transportation and food in SG!
But in MY, they can raised a family with it.
So now you finally realized that most of the new condos and higher end properties were targeted at.
With the various restrictions imposed on foreigners on resale and given the low demand from locals such properties, demands from resale should not be a surprise anymore.

The new condos are targeted at foreigners, Singaporeans and Johoreans who earn SGD.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually all these are Malays, patrotic and looking for secure job. But Malaysian Chinese mostly go for business. Even they start as wage earner, it is in their blood to start business later in life. Earning RM30k per month is not that difficult. It all depend on you want easy or hard life.

I stay big house now. But I can see when I get old at 65, mid size condo will do. That why I just bought a 1389 sq ft unit. When too old, very hard to buy then. So start planning when you are still able.

How do you know when you are old the kids and grandchildren won't move back?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you know when you are old the kids and grandchildren won't move back?

No plans for them to move back. That's why I am going to let go of my landed when I hit 65. Too big to clean up.
They are already co owners of their own units.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are lucky only up to a certain period of time. Usually those who bought their flats before 2005 are "lucky". I think after that, Lee Hsien Loong became greedy and went berserk. Can tell his PAP party looked upon HDB flats as a profit generating housing instead of affordable housing for the masses. They also admitted too many new immigrants without ensuring the infrastructure can cope. That's why many of the flat prices today all shot up beyond the means of the commoners.

I prefer a smaller but still cozy home. I find I can still relax well regardless of the size. For big houses, the cleaning and maintenance kills. I find life is too short to be bothered with such stuffs. Moreover, big homes usually mean we buy more paintings to put up on the wall, antiques, vases, bigger TV, longer sofa... otherwise nothing special. There is a tendency to also hoard lots of rubbish or things we don't need at home!

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, only now I realize..... a bit surprised actually. Never knew the housing that Johor commoners buy are so much cheaper than the new condos and "higher end" properties released in the past few years.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, only now I realize..... a bit surprised actually. Never knew the housing that Johor commoners buy are so much cheaper than the new condos and "higher end" properties released in the past few years.

Yes, low cost housing (size of a 3rm flat in SG) are only about RM40,000 and for average middle income families, above RM250K are considered expensive already.
Actually, in MY, any developer who develop a large private housing estate are requited to allocate portion of the land for low cost housing to assist those low income home buyer.
But we don't see any of the Chinese developers and many in the Iskandar zone doing this, maybe they enjoy "special privileged".

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I stay big house now. But I can see when I get old at 65, mid size condo will do. That why I just bought a 1389 sq ft unit. When too old, very hard to buy then. So start planning when you are still able.[/QUOTE]

:eek: 1389sqft is MID Size??? :biggrin:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

:eek: 1389sqft is MID Size??? :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Cannot afford big one la...have mercy. Malaysians r a poor lot. :smile:

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal

So when you get in, you used too much singapore advance experience? Coz i always feel weird that singaporean investors buy at such high price and want to rent to local. bcoz they feel it is 'cheap', so it extend the feelings to other poor local and think they able to afford too. From the moment they bought it, it is not meant for renting. I believe the last bull run was highly aid by improved traffic promises like hsr or rts will deliver very soon. Coz this will deliver another big group of real users that willing to commute daily.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are lucky only up to a certain period of time. Usually those who bought their flats before 2005 are "lucky". I think after that, Lee Hsien Loong became greedy and went berserk. Can tell his PAP party looked upon HDB flats as a profit generating housing instead of affordable housing for the masses. They also admitted too many new immigrants without ensuring the infrastructure can cope. That's why many of the flat prices today all shot up beyond the means of the commoners.

I prefer a smaller but still cozy home. I find I can still relax well regardless of the size. For big houses, the cleaning and maintenance kills. I find life is too short to be bothered with such stuffs. Moreover, big homes usually mean we buy more paintings to put up on the wall, antiques, vases, bigger TV, longer sofa... otherwise nothing special. There is a tendency to also hoard lots of rubbish or things we don't need at home!

I must be pathetic and also unlucky then. I bought my HDB before 2005, but if I sell now based on the average selling price data from past transactions, what I have to return back to CPF is more than then sales proceeds which means I get nothing from selling the HDB. My CPF will look nice...but that is of no use at all.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have to agree that both SG and JB provided certain ample opportunities for people from both sides.
Middle income Singaporean families can afford to buy big landed properties in JB whereby landed in SG is out of reach.
Middle income Johoreans family who work in SG can afford to buy big landed properties in JB whereby if they stay on to work in JB, they may have to make do with low cost housing.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I must be pathetic and also unlucky then. I bought my HDB before 2005, but if I sell now based on the average selling price data from past transactions, what I have to return back to CPF is more than then sales proceeds which means I get nothing from selling the HDB. My CPF will look nice...but that is of no use at all.

Actually Frodo, it(CPF) might not be of any immediate use/help to u/family at all right now. But it's a fact longevity is increasing.
And cost of living will only go up. So come 65 those monthly payouts will come in handy thou it's easily decades later to bear fruit.
In meantime, those locked up funds will generate decent up to 5% interest pa. Compounded, it can be a decent Retirement Nest egg.
See it as another source of forced savings to give u additional passive income come old age to enjoy your Twilight years.
In meantime eat well & stay active. No health nothing else matters.

:wink:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal

You bought before 2005. So you're lucky! (By my definition). I dare say those who bought their HDB flats then, no matter how jialat, even if you sell now, it is impossible or extremely unlikely you will lose money. You're looking at a 6-figure sum profit.

You've been collecting rental for some time now. That is already money in your pocket. And work out the sums properly. I doubt you will have zero left even if you have to put it back into your CPF.

And remember, although you return money back to your CPF, it is still your money. No choice as the SG government wants everyone to be self-sufficient.