• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

EB-5 Green Card (Investor's greencard)

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a plan to sell my pigeon hole for plus my savings to invest in this green card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa

Does anyone have any suggestion or experience through this way? I think a lot of Singaporeans can purchase million dollar condos, this must be a better option to define our future. I am giving myself 5 years until the kids a little older (no more toddlers) to go down this path.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a plan to sell my pigeon hole for plus my savings to invest in this green card.

Does anyone have any suggestion or experience through this way? I think a lot of Singaporeans can purchase million dollar condos, this must be a better option to define our future. I am giving myself 5 years until the kids a little older (no more toddlers) to go down this path.

I know of one case where a Singaporean went over, bought a apartment building there for 700K USD, created the jobs and collected rent. You can easily invest and safely collect a 15-30% return (depending on location, etc) on your money in the present economy there due to non-bank lending.

I remember his experience was he got the visa, and applied for US citizenship after 4 years 9 months, only thing was he learned one valuable lesson. If you want the US passport you CANNOT AT ANY TIME SPEND MORE THAN 6 MONTHS CONTINUOUS OUTSIDE THE US to qualify. You have to spend something like 30-36 months in the 60 month period period there, can take many trips back but just cannot be more than 6 months.

He got his US passport in the end. I think he spends half his time in SG and half there.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't you apply for the yearly green card lottery. With the investment scheme and the mandatory requirement to provide employment for US citizens, it becomes quite tough if you do not have sufficient buffer capital. Once people are aware that you are buying a business under this category, you will held to ransom.

Many who are determined to get their citizenship never make a profit because the business does not provide enough yield. One of the biggest culprits are PRC migrants who will pay thru the nose for a business to ensure the employment conditions are met.

Just keep trying to apply for a green card lottery.

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its true, I have been applying for the lottery year after year for the past 10 odd years without any luck. Besides, I believe (not confirmed) that the US govt will do away with the lottery in the near future. So if that happens, I will still be back to square one.
I have a condo now that can be sold for around $800,000 plus whatever savings I have, I may not make it to one million, but the startup figure is half a million ($500,000). I think I can go for broke.
My old classmate in the NYC area can be a landing point for us initially....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is, stay firm and committed. You will eventually succeed.

Its true, I have been applying for the lottery year after year for the past 10 odd years without any luck. Besides, I believe (not confirmed) that the US govt will do away with the lottery in the near future. So if that happens, I will still be back to square one.
I have a condo now that can be sold for around $800,000 plus whatever savings I have, I may not make it to one million, but the startup figure is half a million ($500,000). I think I can go for broke.
My old classmate in the NYC area can be a landing point for us initially....

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would you want to migrate to the U.S. when many people are seeking to move out of the U.S.?

Have you actually lived in the U.S.? Do you know what it is actually like in the U.S.?

Many parts of the U.S. have become like third-world countries. The country is in a real state of mess and is spiralling downwards really fast.

If you seek to get out of Singapore, I can understand.

But there are far better options other than the U.S.

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks the issue is not which nation is facing strong headwinds, but which isn't. On the radar it would seem the European crisis will result in a depression, affecting China, Singapore, the entire Western World; hence a global recession much worse, and will last much longer than GFC I. Its likely more bailouts, more political gerrymandering will ensure more debt is created, until the system unravels and the Euro capitulates, with less member states.

So maybe its better to ask oneself where you might want to ride out the coming decade plus of economic difficulty?

Our PAP government has laid plans to continue importing population to manufacture GDP growth. In my opinion this is not a good scenario for Singaporeans. We are losing our share of Singapore and our national identities. The sacrifices we have made are at breaking point, and we deserve better. Singaporeans are blind. They are unaware our export model turned service oriented cannot sustain the economy. They cannot see the China Century will not benefit them when asset prices, overcrowding, and resource depletion is destroying what little we have.

What kind of future is this for our children?

It might be wise to emigrate to a environment where a good quality of life, with stability, a good education, and ample opportunities are abundant. Our Singapore dollar has never been stronger against the Chinese and American currencies. Our dollars can buy more today than at any other time on record, so the opportunity exists to those who are brave enough to migrate.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would you want to migrate to the U.S. when many people are seeking to move out of the U.S.?

Have you actually lived in the U.S.? Do you know what it is actually like in the U.S.?

Many parts of the U.S. have become like third-world countries. The country is in a real state of mess and is spiralling downwards really fast.

Took the words out of my mouth. :wink:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Methinks the issue is not which nation is facing strong headwinds, but which isn't. On the radar it would seem the European crisis will result in a depression, affecting China, Singapore, the entire Western World; hence a global recession much worse, and will last much longer than GFC I. Its likely more bailouts, more political gerrymandering will ensure more debt is created, until the system unravels and the Euro capitulates, with less member states.

So maybe its better to ask oneself where you might want to ride out the coming decade plus of economic difficulty?

Our PAP government has laid plans to continue importing population to manufacture GDP growth. In my opinion this is not a good scenario for Singaporeans. We are losing our share of Singapore and our national identities. The sacrifices we have made are at breaking point, and we deserve better. Singaporeans are blind. They are unaware our export model turned service oriented cannot sustain the economy. They cannot see the China Century will not benefit them when asset prices, overcrowding, and resource depletion is destroying what little we have.

What kind of future is this for our children?

It might be wise to emigrate to a environment where a good quality of life, with stability, a good education, and ample opportunities are abundant. Our Singapore dollar has never been stronger against the Chinese and American currencies. Our dollars can buy more today than at any other time on record, so the opportunity exists to those who are brave enough to migrate.

And pray tell, how good is the quality of life in the US? I'm all ears :rolleyes:

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
And pray tell, how good is the quality of life in the US? I'm all ears :rolleyes:

A better question is: How good is the quality of life in Singapore? Our Quality of Life, standard of living rankings are subject to intense debate. The inevitable conclusion from citizens today is "if Singapore has no future where can my children, family thrive?" You can then consider which foreign country gives you a comparative advantage.

S$ strength vs the weak HK$, Chinese Yuan, Malaysian, Thai, Viet, Indonesian and other emerging world currencies. or the US$, a weakening Euro, and British Pound. A stable political system, cost of living, education, ease of assimilation into a foreign culture are all criterion on the migrants list.

The Canadian Dollar and Australian are commodity based so Singaporeans lose wealth when exchanged into these currencies.

On paper, the very act of emigration can increase your wealth

On this forum its clear to see most emigrants to Australia, for example, have failed to assimilate into the culture there. They behave like Singaporeans and are basically "fish out of the water" there.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
A better question is: How good is the quality of life in Singapore? Our Quality of Life, standard of living rankings are subject to intense debate. The inevitable conclusion from citizens today is "if Singapore has no future where can my children, family thrive?" You can then consider which foreign country gives you a comparative advantage.

S$ strength vs the weak HK$, Chinese Yuan, Malaysian, Thai, Viet, Indonesian and other emerging world currencies. or the US$, a weakening Euro, and British Pound. A stable political system, cost of living, education, ease of assimilation into a foreign culture are all criterion on the migrants list.

The Canadian Dollar and Australian are commodity based so Singaporeans lose wealth when exchanged into these currencies.

On paper, the very act of emigration can increase your wealth

On this forum its clear to see most emigrants to Australia, for example, have failed to assimilate into the culture there. They behave like Singaporeans and are basically "fish out of the water" there.

Most wont emigrate out due to fear, in a comfort zone etc. Australia is the most popular because its the closest and they want to have a safety net in case things dont work out, and they can easily come back.

The number of Singaporeans going there have dropped since they tightened the citizenship requirements it takes 4 years after PR I read and the rise in living costs etc there now are making it harder. I hear some complaints among colleagues that Australia is very expensive now, etc

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most wont emigrate out due to fear, in a comfort zone etc. Australia is the most popular because its the closest and they want to have a safety net in case things dont work out, and they can easily come back.

The number of Singaporeans going there have dropped since they tightened the citizenship requirements it takes 4 years after PR I read and the rise in living costs etc there now are making it harder. I hear some complaints among colleagues that Australia is very expensive now, etc

The trouble with Australia is that everyone think it is the only advanced country doing fine.
The downside is that it is bloody expensive these days. Well-heeled foreigners making a big impact here, trying to avoid being turned into Arab Spring Lambchops, Putin's desserts or Chinese tofu.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why would anyone wanna emigrate to that basket case of a country? :biggrin:

Sound like opportunities to me.
Moving no-brain-required production lines from China to third world US States.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trouble with Australia is that everyone think it is the only advanced country doing fine.
The downside is that it is bloody expensive these days. Well-heeled foreigners making a big impact here, trying to avoid being turned into Arab Spring Lambchops, Putin's desserts or Chinese tofu.

Yes, just like Singapore. Getting very expensive.

But at least in Australia I can admire one thing - on paper. Looking at the passage of the mining tax I can only say that your govt there is going to come out the most fiscally strong in the long haul. Increasing revenues to counter increased costs WHILE you have ultra low GDP to DEBT ratios (a rarity in developed countries these days) means you have the ammunition to face what's ahead well prepared. Yes Australian households are broke, yes there is a deficit, BUT you have low govt debt. And you can pile on alot of debt before investors get nervous. Look at the bond market in Europe its like putting out fires. Italy above 7% again.

Question is when the crap hits the fan is the govt going to unleash a horde of stimulus there?

We think so.

And looking at Europe, the US, is that a good thing?

If not what to do?

Has Keynesian economics failed us? It might be cheaper for all economists to admit the neoclassical model taught in universities and embraced worldwide cannot solve our problems. This truly is history - current economic theory as a science has failed. Time to find a new model.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, just like Singapore. Getting very expensive.

But at least in Australia I can admire one thing - on paper. Looking at the passage of the mining tax I can only say that your govt there is going to come out the most fiscally strong in the long haul. Increasing revenues to counter increased costs WHILE you have ultra low GDP to DEBT ratios (a rarity in developed countries these days) means you have the ammunition to face what's ahead well prepared. Yes Australian households are broke, yes there is a deficit, BUT you have low govt debt. And you can pile on alot of debt before investors get nervous. Look at the bond market in Europe its like putting out fires. Italy above 7% again.

Question is when the crap hits the fan is the govt going to unleash a horde of stimulus there?

We think so.

And looking at Europe, the US, is that a good thing?

If not what to do?

Has Keynesian economics failed us? It might be cheaper for all economists to admit the neoclassical model taught in universities and embraced worldwide cannot solve our problems. This truly is history - current economic theory as a science has failed. Time to find a new model.

It costs $30 to produce iron ore, used to sell at $130 spot, now drop to $100. So you see green $$ eyes wanting profit tax!

Howard returned Australia to AAA ratings. It is very precious.

Good that Aussie household is "broke". It makes the term of trade looks good and the banks will borrow less overseas. Employment figures are good, and my rental yield will go up after Xmas after my agent discover my tenants bought a 5yo BMW.The local rental market vacancy down to <3% :smile:

It will take China recession to bring a private debt crisis. If so, retirement plans will be disrupted because many DIY Super/SMSF are invested in property.

Euro zone better plan smooth exit for Greece and Italy.
It will still be messy.
Greek drachma will devalue > 50% and major haircut for investor.
Italy is in much better shape. Perhaps 20% devalue for lira but give them 2 years to recover.
BUT with the Euro technocrats in charge, it will be a decade of recession keeping them in Euro.

As for Keynesian, it is not working. An Austrian approach is too late. It saves China now (credit tightening) but USA/Europe is too deep into the game. The aggressive surgery will kill the patient. 2 years ago, if Ireland has done an Austrian - save the depositors and kill the banks - it would be out of the woods, but it currently in worse shape than Iceland.

The Irish "save the banks" left blood on German hands. saving Irish banks saved German banks - but as we know by now, The current deepening Euro crisis is also Germany undoing.

As for USA, FDIC brokered "mark to market" policies saved US householders. But nothing is happening on the Too Big to Fail banks. They still mark to book which explain no progress on the mortgage front. Some bankers heads should roll into jail before we see real reform to bring us out of GFC.

The question is which US politicians will bite the hand that feed them.

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
It costs $30 to produce iron ore, used to sell at $130 spot, now drop to $100. So you see green $$ eyes wanting profit tax!

Howard returned Australia to AAA ratings. It is very precious.

Good that Aussie household is "broke". It makes the term of trade looks good and the banks will borrow less overseas. Employment figures are good, and my rental yield will go up after Xmas after my agent discover my tenants bought a 5yo BMW.The local rental market vacancy down to <3% :smile:

It will take China recession to bring a private debt crisis. If so, retirement plans will be disrupted because many DIY Super/SMSF are invested in property.

Euro zone better plan smooth exit for Greece and Italy.
It will still be messy.
Greek drachma will devalue > 50% and major haircut for investor.
Italy is in much better shape. Perhaps 20% devalue for lira but give them 2 years to recover.
BUT with the Euro technocrats in charge, it will be a decade of recession keeping them in Euro.

As for Keynesian, it is not working. An Austrian approach is too late. It saves China now (credit tightening) but USA/Europe is too deep into the game. The aggressive surgery will kill the patient. 2 years ago, if Ireland has done an Austrian - save the depositors and kill the banks - it would be out of the woods, but it currently in worse shape than Iceland.

The Irish "save the banks" left blood on German hands. saving Irish banks saved German banks - but as we know by now, The current deepening Euro crisis is also Germany undoing.

As for USA, FDIC brokered "mark to market" policies saved US householders. But nothing is happening on the Too Big to Fail banks. They still mark to book which explain no progress on the mortgage front. Some bankers heads should roll into jail before we see real reform to bring us out of GFC.

The question is which US politicians will bite the hand that feed them.

Time raise your rents then. More passive income for you.......

We are now doubtful the Eurozone can continue much longer. Is the solution to compact it into Eurobonds? but the German People would have to vote for that, which they will never approve hence Merkel's rejection, and other member states wont be for it. So much selling of bonds in Europe, and assets in China all at once is scary. We are at a global crisis again and we still dont know if its a meltdown or just another recession. Member states cannot afford to pay those yields and leveraging the EFSF is plain stupid.

So yes its back to the Australia School again and the coming deflation in Europe. Debt that cannot be repaid has but one course. Have we not learned anything from debt binges, credit bubbles and past depressions? Shall we thank fiat money, the Keyesians, or both? We still consider gold to be money, despite those who disagree because we think Sarkosy will get his way and print his way out of this mess.

What a bloody mess.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AhSo1 said:
Methinks the issue is not which nation is facing strong headwinds, but which isn't.

If you are thinking of emigrating to the USA, think again. Both the Democrats and Republicans have planned the next 10 years to correct the deficit. On the longer term, the USD will continue to slide with respect to SGD and RMB. This means that whatever SGD that you convert to USD will follow that currency's slide in value. For those wanting to

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fook Seng said:
If you are thinking of emigrating to the USA, think again. Both the Democrats and Republicans have planned the next 10 years to correct the deficit. On the longer term, the USD will continue to slide with respect to SGD and RMB. This means that whatever SGD that you convert to USD will follow that currency's slide in value. For those wanting to

For those wanting to emigrate, please determine what kind of emigrant you are. Are you there to retire? If that is so, the SGD will get you a bigger house but day to day expenses might not be cheaper. Big ticket items could be OK because of the volume which they purchase these things. But with the focus on supporting local industries and blocking Chinese imports, be prepared for substantial increase in pricing for several items. If you are there to make a living, please bear in mind that the unemployment rate is 9 to 10% for the past 3 years with no signs of improving and unless you can make yourself outside the bottom 10% of the population and also better than the next 20 % who do menial work, like cleaners, construction workers etc or you are in the IT industry where the US is still King, you should also consider the retirement route and enjoy your early retirement. If you wish enjoy the freedom of speech in this land of the free, you better wear the hat of a freedom fighter from a third world lowdown country because it gives them the superiority feeling when listening to you. Don't think you will get the same treatment if you are a local Chinese. You will just be another loud talking minority. If this is what you have decided, good luck to you.
If on the hand, you are like me, a Sinkist. Find out what irks you in Sinkland. FT problem, HDB pricing, rail and road congestion, tough education system, political system? Change them. Trust me. This Govt is afraid of losing majority control, they will do everything to get your vote. If none of these get changed, change them.
All the above, I am using only the US as an example but I am sure we can work out similar arguments for other destinations.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those wanting to emigrate, please determine what kind of emigrant you are. Are you there to retire? If that is so, the SGD will get you a bigger house but day to day expenses might not be cheaper. Big ticket items could be OK because of the volume which they purchase these things. But with the focus on supporting local industries and blocking Chinese imports, be prepared for substantial increase in pricing for several items. If you are there to make a living, please bear in mind that the unemployment rate is 9 to 10% for the past 3 years with no signs of improving and unless you can make yourself outside the bottom 10% of the population and also better than the next 20 % who do menial work, like cleaners, construction workers etc or you are in the IT industry where the US is still King, you should also consider the retirement route and enjoy your early retirement. If you wish enjoy the freedom of speech in this land of the free, you better wear the hat of a freedom fighter from a third world lowdown country because it gives them the superiority feeling when listening to you. Don't think you will get the same treatment if you are a local Chinese. You will just be another loud talking minority. If this is what you have decided, good luck to you.
If on the hand, you are like me, a Sinkist. Find out what irks you in Sinkland. FT problem, HDB pricing, rail and road congestion, tough education system, political system? Change them. Trust me. This Govt is afraid of losing majority control, they will do everything to get your vote. If none of these get changed, change them.
All the above, I am using only the US as an example but I am sure we can work out similar arguments for other destinations.

U never try u never know. Emigration doesn't mean it has to be permanent. I met a lot of migrants in Sydney, most of them are not sure if they are going to be here forever, or go back to their home country, or somewhere else. However, at least they have options to choose where to live when they retire.
Singapore is just plain too small, too cramped, too humid, too boring. So, it's not always about the political flaws.