• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

E-scooters to be banned from Singapore footpaths from Nov 5

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I have two PMDs and they are a joy to ride and have saved me a ton of money.

I intend to upgrade to a Dualtron Thunder after Xmas this year in order to get better range as I am currently restricted to 70km max. The Dualtron has a range of 110km which will be perfect for an inter-city commute.

The ban in Singapore is definitely temporary as it is only a matter of time before the authorities realise that the rest of the world is moving ahead while Singapore is stuck in the past.

Cars and cities were never a good mix to begin with and as more and more cities ban cars from the streets the PMD will become the de facto mode of transport.

The problem is you can't have fast moving things sharing the same pathways as people on foot. Collisions. Just common sense.

This is why you dont see marathons being organized on footpaths. Collisions.

PMDs need their own pathways.

We have seen that people have started using PMDs on roads. Collisions. But this time PMD users die.

People on PMDs collide with pedestrians - pedestrians die and PMD user also gets hurt.

There is a reason why people need a licence to drive a car. It can be a weapon.

I have never understood why people don't need a licence to ride a bicycle or a PMD. They should. Unless you are using it for very recreational purposes in very secluded places.

As a doctor I have seen 2 patients (one a roller blader the other a cyclist) who collided. The inline skater had intracranial hemorhhage and pelvic fractures and femure fractures. The cyclist has spine injuries.

Man is NOT made to go faster than their legs can carry.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
MV5BMTUwMzc1NjIzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODUyMTIxMTE@._V1_.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The problem is you can't have fast moving things sharing the same pathways as people on foot. Collisions. Just common sense.

This is why you dont see marathons being organized on footpaths. Collisions.

PMDs need their own pathways.

We have seen that people have started using PMDs on roads. Collisions. But this time PMD users die.

People on PMDs collide with pedestrians - pedestrians die and PMD user also gets hurt.

There is a reason why people need a licence to drive a car. It can be a weapon.

I have never understood why people don't need a licence to ride a bicycle or a PMD. They should. Unless you are using it for very recreational purposes in very secluded places.

As a doctor I have seen 2 patients (one a roller blader the other a cyclist) who collided. The inline skater had intracranial hemorhhage and pelvic fractures and femure fractures. The cyclist has spine injuries.

Man is NOT made to go faster than their legs can carry.

Did you not have the honor of treating those injured in CAR accidents or signing their death certificates.

The elephant in the room is the automobile but legislators turn a blind eye because they're drivers too and no politician would want to pass any legislation that affects themselves adversely in any shape or form.

https://settlementlenders.com/2017/02/car-accident-facts-and-figures-in-canada/

Why driving in Canada is a challenge?
Canada can be a tricky place to drive a car, especially during the winter months when we have blizzards and hailstorms on a regular basis. According to this report, there is a 3.1% to 4.7% rise in car accident cases in the months of December and January and a rise of almost 49% in insurance claims.
Settlement Lenders, one of the best lending companies in Canada, is the biggest name when it comes to providing advances in the face of personal injury incidents. We too, see a rise in settlement loan applications during this period.

According to this report, there was an estimated 7.92 million registered passenger vehicles in Canada at the end of 2016 and is increasing at a frenetic pace every day. The same report cites The Canadian Transportation Safety Board estimates there are 160,000 car accidents occurring each year in Canada and 2,800 to 2,900 result in deaths. In the same report, it has been observed with concern that almost 2.8% of the drivers in rural communities use cell phones while driving and almost 5.9% of urban drivers also use mobile phones while driving. This has increased the number of collisions where distraction was cited as the cause by a whopping 17% over a 5-year period.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I have two PMDs and they are a joy to ride and have saved me a ton of money.

I intend to upgrade to a Dualtron Thunder after Xmas this year in order to get better range as I am currently restricted to 70km max. The Dualtron has a range of 110km which will be perfect for an inter-city commute.

The ban in Singapore is definitely temporary as it is only a matter of time before the authorities realise that the rest of the world is moving ahead while Singapore is stuck in the past.

Cars and cities were never a good mix to begin with and as more and more cities ban cars from the streets the PMD will become the de facto mode of transport.
Where you are, the infrastructure and the lower population density are more conducive to PMD usage. Also, I believe PMD users there are more law abiding. It is the persistent anti-social and reckless behaviour of PMD riders here that made the govt ban them from pathways.

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now it's the "cooling-off period"...even on 1st Jan 2020...it's still the "catch me if you can" mentality..so many footpaths everywhere...