• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dramatic Rescue - 16th Floor Singapore May bank building

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kcsiLtwI2SI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

An amazing rescue effort, on the sixteenth floor, witnessed by over 50 office workers on the ground, was captured on film as the drama unfolded in the heart of Singapore's business district.
Two Chinese men cleaning windows in a gondola became trapped when one of the cables supporting the cleaning unit became entangled, leaving the two men dangling at an angle. With their lives in danger and the More.. very real fear the other cable could snap, a rescue team was dispatched to save the men from a fatal plunge to the bottom of the Maybank Tower.
The skyscraper on Battery Road in Raffles Place is in the center of Singapore's downtown business district. The world-famous district features some of the tallest buildings in Asia.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rather SILLY and UNNECESSARY it seems.

They have to do that way?

What I think they need to do is just to open the window NEAREST to the Gondola. Pass rope for the trapped workers to hinge their safety belts and help them into the NEAREST WINDOW. The whole building is full of glass windows, the nearest is just beside the Gondola, less than 1 meter away.

Why the SCDF have to use 2 other windows both are several meters away from the Gondola?

I think they just went according to their standard textbook rescue practice.
:rolleyes:

But at least they never fucked up.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very lucky a certain BG's already into politics, otherwise the fear of casualties is even more real. Remember the Eniwetok.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you know that ?:confused:

Every glass pane is a window but not all are meant to be easily opened. SCDF ought to be trained to open them all. Break them if necessary to safe people. Especially when there is a fire and someone is trapped inside.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal

What I think they need to do is just to open the window NEAREST to the Gondola. Pass rope for the trapped workers to hinge their safety belts and help them into the NEAREST WINDOW. The whole building is full of glass windows, the nearest is just beside the Gondola, less than 1 meter away.

Why the SCDF have to use 2 other windows both are several meters away from the Gondola?

motomafia: That's I think. Can't they just BREAK the window next to the guy and pull him in......takes less than 30 seconds instead of risking both lives. Is the SDF trying to take this opportunity to show off their skills?

Life is more important than the cost of the window right?

Another of those unnecessary wayang from Singapore.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not all windows in a skyscraper can be opened. Most are permanently attached while those that can be opened are usually designated as "Fireman's Access".

A similar incident happened in New York some years back and the NYFD carefully broke the glass window just next to the gondola. But then again in Singapore, human life is generally cheaper.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
motomafia: That's I think. Can't they just BREAK the window next to the guy and pull him in......takes less than 30 seconds instead of risking both lives. Is the SDF trying to take this opportunity to show off their skills?

Life is more important than the cost of the window right?

Another of those unnecessary wayang from Singapore.

Yah. I agree.

The Gondola cables are anchored on the roof. So they can also swing easy left-right. That means casting a rope from the nearest fire access window to the men to have them tied to Gondola, is possible. Then pull Gondola towards fire access window to haul them in.

The fire access windows are the easiest to open. They are usually in-line when looking at them from outside of building, from top down they are lined up in a vertical line. Looking at the 2 fire access windows opened by SCDF there is one in between the 2. That is the nearest.

The other (non-fire-access) windows needs tools to open.

When Gondola cables get tangled, usually strong wind & aging (curly) cables twist themselves together. That means they can not go up/down. Some other times their motor / pulleys jam the fuck on them. Also caused the men to be stuck. But in these cases Gondola can still be pulled to the side.

When the anchor point is so far up in the roof, pulling the Gondola to the side by few meters won't incline the thing to a very steep angle. Unless the point the workers got stuck is not too far from roof, then you won't have too much length to pull it to any side, before the thing tilt until the men inside want to fall off.

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not all windows in a skyscraper can be opened. Most are permanently attached while those that can be opened are usually designated as "Fireman's Access".

A similar incident happened in New York some years back and the NYFD carefully broke the glass window just next to the gondola. But then again in Singapore, human life is generally cheaper.

Tools needed to open the non-fire access windows.
:wink:

SCDF should be trained and equipped to do so.

Their more important function is to save people out from burning buildings where people got trapped.

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
there was one incidence reported similar but happen in a lift where a boy trapped during our sg blackout that time... the fireman came but cannot open the lift , reason told not given permission to open must wait till owner to bring key . lol ...then boy pannic parent complain also no use :mad: