• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Mahathir : Democracy has its limits

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does it feel having the freedom and power to impose your own rules? Any idea why so many have sacrificed their lives, fighting for democracy?

I've relatives who went off the track under the strict, "disciplined" control of their parents too. If only their parents were more understanding of the growing pains of their children rather than to persist in the archaic Chinese belief of children being the property of parents, the tragedy in their family would have been averted. I'm sorry but your dogmatic faith in the exceptionalism of authority is not supported by reality. :rolleyes:

Do you think 28 million Malaysians are so dumb that they need a Dr Mahathir or a Lee Kuan Yew to dictate their lives? Lee Kuan Yew's ignorance and incompetence have been exposed so many times. Only brainwashed sinkies like you would worship him as some kinda demigod. :rolleyes:

Indeed. Just look at the number of human beings that governments had killed in the 20th century when they did their own thing unrestrained: 60 million in the USSR, 5 million Jews during the Holocaust, 34 million during Mao Zedong's reign. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are no atrocities and blood shed in undemocratic North Korea and China today. Democracy doesn't kill. Violent people do. Do you want me to enumerate every single peaceful transition to democracy for the past 100 years? :rolleyes:

I don't know about you but I would demand more from the world highest paid politicians than policies that are less than ideal and the mere freedom to use the internet. :rolleyes:

The residents of liberal democracies such as Switzerland, Germany, Norway can do the same too. What's your point? :rolleyes:

Guidance? That would be too democratic. No, what we need are know-it-all fathers telling children what to do. Fathers know best. :rolleyes:

Seems like my rhetoric is too subtle for the Sinkie mind. :biggrin:

Cruxx, rather presumptious of you to think that I am a Singaporean ( or in your words a derogatory phase "SINKIE" Do you so dislike the Singaporean as to degrade them. What have they done to you to deserve such dislike, putting it mildly.)

I am apolitical. Have been always. I leave politics to the politically inclined or politicians. I have views like you, but would rather have a civilized discussion rather than impose my views or opinions on other..... Something imparted to me by my father.

There are many forms of democracy. Yes I've read of the many sacrifices made in the name of Democracy. Achieving it is something else. However in the "older Democracies" that you mentioned, were also arrived at with cost in lives and sufferings and they have their set of problems currently.....

North Korea and China are not Democracies But Authoritarian regimes so no need for snide comments. They're run by a group of individuals who ARE allowed to continue their brutish rule. When the people have had "enough" of their rule and decided that enough is enough, we will see a revolution as in the so called "Arab Spring" it overthrew the "dictators", in the process countless of lives lost and maimed. Innocence most of them, only wanting a better way of life. But do they really know what "Democracy" is? They have only traded one form of Dictatorship with another!! The dictatorship clings to power through their policies of bribery, in the general sense, a way of life that the general populace wants until more is wanted and when that is not attainable, general dissension arise at the perceived "lack of opportunity" to better themselves!!

Yes I do agree with you that certain Chinese families are very strict. I am sorry to say, there is no manual that comes with bring up children.... I wish there is and given to me when my kids were born. We would Definetly have an easier time being up our kids. But in saying that though I am strict with my kids I temper that with listening to them and then deciding on whether it is good for them. If I feel it's something that I feel uncomfortable with, I explain to them why I disallow what they wanted and point out the possible consequences of their actions. That I would term "guided democracy":p NOT "........dogmatic faith in the exceptionalism of authority.." You cannot place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the parent. The child also bears the responsibility. The tragedy also happen as the child felt that the child wanted to assert their own authority and do the things that the child wanted to do not knowing of the consequences. Possibly a chat as to the consequences may have made a diffences... Please don't get me wrong, I am not second guessing anyone or judging. An opinion only.
There must be some sort of authority in order to hold back chaos. Lack of authority or perception of the lack of authority allows chaos to flourish. 10 - 15 years ago, I could drive on the roads and even the PIE, and still enjoy the drive. Try that today, I've experience drivers driving on the right lane of a two lane per direction road at a speed that is much slower than the left lane and having to pass that person on the left lane rather than the opposite way. Back then the slower traffic drive in the left lane and if on the right lane would move to the left lane when a faster moving vehicle was behind. Now, not a chance..... Couldn't give a damn. I personally witness a driver not willing to give way to an Ambulance with lights flashing..... Even so on the Expressway, "Sunday drive" in the right most/overtaking lane. If approching the slow vehicle, would not bother to move to the left lane to allow the faster vehicle to pass. If LTA or the TP were more visible and/or made their presence felt. This sort of incident's would be rare. Lack of authority, so populace decide to behave the way they want to!!!! Slow deterioration into chaos......

To demand what is YOUR right is a lame excuse. The vote is every 5 years, if the incumbent party was doing such a piss poor job of running the country, then the people would collectively votes them out and any viable replacement. The question is, is there a viable alternative, if not, is there truly an effort made to get a viable alternative or just a collection of individuals who sprout attractive alternatives but no idea on how to get the results! It's not enough to gripe about it, want a change do something about.
How much Internet freedom would you want, mind when you let the "genie" out of the bottle you can't put it back! Currently, I believe you can post political discussion on the Internet without much fear of repercussion, only make sure that don't libel anyone. Post scurrilous and libelous crap, then the poster deserves the consequences!!!

Cruxx, are you a parent! I use to think that way until I became a parent!!! Believe me parenthood gives you a whole new perspective to life and what's right or wrong. All I want to do, as I am sure most fathers/parent only want to protect their child. Believe you me my kids take priority over everything in my/our lives as I am sure most parents. You'd be surprise that in most, NOT All, instances they do know best. They went through life, experienced it and are trying to make sure the child doesn't make the same mistakes. Don't take my word for it....

Rhetoric!! When you write something that could be deemed as libellous, as in Singapore, not so in Malaysia, you should be prepared, unless you have incontrovertible proof. Do you....... Father knows best:biggrin:

This discussion could go on...... There is always two sides to a discussion. We both, as I am sure, others here have there own views. Peace to you....

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of dumbfuck analogy is this?

Pap or the govt of the day is not my father.
They did not give me life or give birth to me.
My father's house belongs to him, Singapore does not belong to the govt of the day...she belongs to me and my fellow Singaporeans.
The govt is chosen by the people to lead us, if they cannot lead then we will replace them with others who can. They are not our father neither are we their children.
Get this into your brain washed mind if you can.

Is this the way an intelligent discussion is conducted. As you pointed out it's an analogy. You are right, Singapore does not belong to the govt. of the day. Are you doing something about it, instead of spouting expletive. You are so angry, BUT what at, time to stand back and rethink. Unhappy with the way things are being done, then do something about it. Peace to you .

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder whether it was the right thing to do when late Suharto was overthrown in the name of reformasi? Yes, we all know his childens were corrupted here and tere. But look at it this way. During Late Suharto reign was better or now? Yes, the indonesians got their "freedom" now. But are they happy? Look at the Rupiahs...and millions are presently jobless.

The problem with indonesia is they mixed politics with religion not to mention extremism. I dont think you should be too quick to judge. Democracy does not mature overnight. Even the Americans fought a civil war and took hundreds of years to get to where they are today.

GagakHitam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although some of his views are absurd, I have to agree with the Maverick this time. The concept of democracy is an idealistic one. We have seen so called big democratic nations collapse or degenerate into worse forms because they believe in it too much. The mould may not be the right fit for everyone.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder... is he paid to do such talks...

Of course! If you pay well enough, you can even make him endorse ponzi schemes :biggrin:

0.jpg

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although some of his views are absurd, I have to agree with the Maverick this time. The concept of democracy is an idealistic one. We have seen so called big democratic nations collapse or degenerate into worse forms because they believe in it too much. The mould may not be the right fit for everyone.

The concept of wealth is an idealistic one. We have seen so called wealthy countries collapse or degenerate into worse forms because they believe in it too much. The mould may not be the right fit for everyone. Money is the root of all evil. Therefore, you must give me all your money to rid yourself of evil. Power to the people has resulted in much bloodshed in the past. Therefore, you must give up your power and freedom to the government to prevent bloodshed. :rolleyes:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Read Ha-Joon Chang

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No truer words spoken.

Down size to the family unit, would you allow your child to tell you what they would like you to do rather then you being the parent, guiding them to do the right things!!!!!

That is a child... you make this fuck up comparsion.

you mean treating people like a child? that is so bloody third world way of thinking.. now i know why you are a sinkie.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Democracy sucks but so does North Korea.

No one is faultless. Human Rights is a fantasy, not a reality.

Gopalan Nair, why hasnt your President Obama closed Guantanamo? Is that not as abusive as Operation Cold Store?