• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dotard can cry COUP, but Pence and Senators are colluded to pass Impeachment after Congress, and takeover Nigger-White-House! MAGA!

Ang4MohTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dirty Deals and political bargaining is happening between White House VP Pence and Senate to backstabbing and sell Dotard out!

MAGA!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.us...-donald-trump-would-not-be-a-coup?context=amp

News Education Health Money Cars Real Estate Travel

Impeachment Is Not a Coup
Gene Healy • June 12, 2017, at 1:59 p.m.
Even after President Donald Trump's scandal-soaked May, the Democratic Party leadership has been taking pains to tamp down calls for impeachment. Still, it's not every first-term president who fires the FBI director, trolls him about it on Twitter, and admits to sacking him over "this Russia thing," i.e., the Bureau's investigation of the president's campaign – so their efforts have proven unable to curb the base's enthusiasm for a constitutional eviction notice.
"Hysterical critics of President Donald Trump are leaping to impeachment as a way to reverse an election they have yet to accept," the conservative Manchester Union-Leader complains. But some of the president's defenders are every bit as overwrought as the resistance. There's a specter haunting America, they charge: a vast left-wing conspiracy determined to dethrone the Donald. "I fear we're witnessing nothing less than a coup attempt against a lawfully elected government," Dinesh D'Souza warns. Singing from the same hymnal, Gary Bauer, Tom Tancredo, Ben Stein, Lou Dobbs and others have joined the "coup"-crying chorus.
[ READ: Senate Republicans Insult Democracy With Trumpcare Push ]
It's said we're supposed to take Trump "seriously, not literally"; but it's hard to do either with his defenders in this case. Impeachment isn't a "coup," and it doesn't "reverse an election." It's a lawful constitutional procedure that James Madison considered "indispensable" for "defending the Community against the incapacity, negligence or perfidy of the chief Magistrate."

A "coup," per Merriam-Webster, is "a sudden decisive exercise of force in politics; especially: the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group." Impeachment is the process through which the people's elected representatives can remove a federal officer they've determined is unfit for continued service. Its purpose, constitutional scholar Greg Weiner explains, is "prophylactic," not punitive: "to protect the public against his negligence or abuse." Trump's impeachment and removal would replace an elected president with his hand-picked, lawfully elected running mate. Some "coup."

At the 1787 Constitutional Convention, Virginia's George Mason spoke for most of the delegates when he declared himself opposed to "making the Executive the mere creature of the Legislature" by too-frequent resort to the remedy. Impeachment wasn't supposed to be done lightly, but that hardly meant it wasn't to be done at all. North Carolina's Hugh Williamson "thought there was more danger of too much lenity than too much rigour towards the President." Ben Franklin told the assembly that impeachment was the "best way therefore to provide in the Constitution for the regular punishment of the Executive when his misconduct should deserve it, and for his honorable acquittal when he should be unjustly accused."
[ SEE: Editorial Cartoons on Donald Trump ]
In our 228-year constitutional history, only two presidents have been impeached: Andrew Johnson in 1868, and Bill Clinton 130 years later. Count Nixon, who would have been impeached if he hadn't resigned, and it makes three. Would the Framers have considered that too many impeachments – or too few?
One thing that wouldn't have surprised them is the partisan passions stoked by the issue. Use of the remedy, Hamilton predicted in the Federalist Papers, would naturally animate "pre-existing factions" and "enlist all their animosities, partialities, influence and interest on one side or on the other."

During the Clinton impeachment, the fog of partisan warfare was thick enough to blind the president's defenders to advantages they might gain if they "lost." Bill Clinton was practically an Eisenhower Republican, but when his presidency was on the line, liberals fought for him as though he were FDR reincarnated. Yet had Clinton been removed by the Senate in February 1999, or done the decent thing and resigned, Al Gore would have gone into the 2000 election as an incumbent, unencumbered by scandal. Gerald Ford didn't have that advantage in 1976, thanks to his controversial preemptive pardon for Nixon two years before. Even so, Ford came achingly close to beating Carter.
Alternate history is a guessing game: Would President Al Gore have "put our services on red alert and… prevented 9/11" or launched his own, disastrous Iraq War? Who knows? One thing is clear, though: Gore's accession in 1999 would have given the Democrats a shot at holding the presidency for another decade. Under the 22nd Amendment, Gore could have served out the remainder of Clinton's term and been eligible to run twice more in his own right. In retrospect, it wasn't the smartest move for liberals to exhaust themselves defending a president who rarely had their back.
[ PHOTOS: The Big Picture – May 2017 ]
If impeachment becomes a live possibility, the right will probably defend Trump just as doggedly. But if the fight goes to the later rounds, maybe they should consider taking a dive. As conservative pundit Erick Erickson observes, Republicans "reflexively defending" Trump "have no need for him with Mike Pence in the wings."
In the as yet unlikely event we end up with a President Pence, here's some free advice for him going into the 2020 race: Don't pardon your predecessor.

U.S. News & World Report
rankings
Rankings & Research
Colleges, cars, hospitals, doctors ... more
news
News & Opinion
Latest headlines and news you can use
News Education Health Money Cars Real Estate Travel
Copyright 2019 © U.S. News & World Report L.P.

Ang4MohTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/n...impeaching-donald-trump-isn-t-a-coup-k2vsdezs

Bloomberg Opinion
Sorry Republicans, impeachment isn't a coup
2019年11月12日 GMT+8 下午7:42

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Tweet

Email

Get Jonathan Bernstein’s newsletter every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.

I try not to react to every silly piece of partisan spin, but one got to me this week: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said on Fox News that the impeachment of President Donald Trump is a “calculated coup.”

This was similar to the White House line that Democrats are trying to “overturn” the 2016 election, and it was equally nonsensical. If Trump is impeached and removed from office, Hillary Clinton would not become president. Mike Pence, the vice president selected by Trump himself, would. Trump’s staff might well stay put. Gerald Ford retained President Richard Nixon’s chief of staff, Alexander Haig, for weeks in 1974, then eventually replaced him with Donald Rumsfeld, whom Nixon had appointed to a series of positions. Trump’s cabinet would in all likelihood remain in place, along with hundreds of his lower-level nominees.

All the laws that Trump has signed would still be laws. All the judges he has put in place would stay on the federal bench; even those still awaiting confirmation wouldn’t be affected except in the highly unlikely event that Pence withdrew them. Pence might adjust course on some policy questions, but he also could prove better at presidenting than Trump — who has been repeatedly stymied by the bureaucracy, the courts, Congress and more — and thus more effective at advancing Republican priorities.

Perhaps it’s also worth spelling out that attempting to oust the president through lawful procedures simply does not meet the definition of a coup. A coup implies extra-constitutional actions, which impeachment and removal certainly are not. Even a metaphorical coup would presumably involve removing a political party from power. That’s just not happening.
If the White House resorted to such a talking point, I’d say it was badly overwrought. But for McCarthy to do so is much worse. He isn’t just saying that Democrats are mounting a coup; he’s implying that at least 20 Republicans would be in on it, since removing Trump requires a bipartisan supermajority of 67 votes in the Senate. It’s all the more inflammatory since under any plausible scenario in which Trump was removed, the vote would likely have overwhelming support and a solid majority of Republicans behind it. That’s what happened with Nixon in 1974: Although conservative Republicans and most moderates had stuck with the president for months, virtually all of them abandoned him at the end, at which point he resigned.
This impeachment process probably won’t end with Trump’s ouster. But if it does, it will likely look a lot like Nixon’s. Which means that the president’s removal won’t come down to anything that Democrats or even Republican Trump skeptics do. It will only happen if Republicans similar to McCarthy — and probably including McCarthy — decide that the president is unfit for office. Taking McCarthy’s accusation to its logical conclusion thus implies that he himself is in on the coup.
In other words, like many Republican defenses of Donald Trump at this point, it makes no sense. No doubt this is partly because the White House can’t get its act together in the president’s own defense. But it also demonstrates one downside of a loyal partisan press. If politicians know they won’t be challenged to come up with something coherent when talking to Fox News, they won’t try very hard. Will this cost Trump in the impeachment fight? I don’t know for sure. But I wouldn’t bet against it.
1. Julia Marin Hellwege at Mischiefs of Faction on voting and representation in U.S. territories.
2. Geoffrey Gertz at the Monkey Cage on TikTok and national security.
3. Perry Bacon Jr. on electability.
4. Nicole Hemmer argues that Republicans won’t turn against Trump because they’re no longer connected to public opinion. I’m not sure how far this goes. As I’ve said, don’t watch the polling on impeachment or removal; watch Trump’s approval ratings. If they fall significantly, pressure will build on Republicans, and I don’t think anyone knows how things would then play out.
5. My Bloomberg Opinion colleague Justin Fox on the stock market during Trump’s presidency.
6. Lawfare has posted summaries of the House impeachment depositions.
7. Christina Koch and Jessica Meir on their joint spacewalk.
8. And one I missed from last week. I voted! Texas puts constitutional measures approved by the legislature on the November ballot in odd-numbered years, and very few people vote. There were 10 ballot measures, most of them extremely obscure; I think only one of them had any kind of campaign for or against it. Turnout in my county surged up to about … 10%. That’s democracy, I suppose, but not exactly. This year, I’ve participated in three elections and cast 13 votes. It was the ninth Election Day of the four-year cycle, and I’ve now cast 158 votes since November 2016. That’s more than people in some nations cast in a lifetime of showing up for every single election. Here, it’s three year’s worth, averaging three Election Days a year, with plenty more to come in 2020.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe. Also subscribe to Bloomberg All Access and get much, much more. You’ll receive our unmatched global news coverage and two in-depth daily newsletters, the Bloomberg Open and the Bloomberg Close.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Timothy Lavin at [email protected]