• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Does anyone else think TKL has a bit of an ego problem?

sharingan83

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's written quite a few posts on his blog about the alleged smears. E.g.,

http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/06/smear-campaign-in-sammyboy-forum.html
http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/06/malicious-smear.html
http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/06/smear-in-blog.html

Now he's personally on Sammyboy defending his name.

Doesn't this strike you as someone who is rather narcissistic? From what others have written about TKL, these actions serve as another datapoint that seems to re-affirm what others have said.

You don't see TCB posting on this blog about smears WRT to the marxists conspiracy? Nor do you see TT reacting to all the negative comments (there have been quite a lot) about him. Why TKL so special must defend sia..

This is the internet, there will ALWAYS be trolls and negative comments. But how you choose to deal with them is another matter...

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...if tkl is really in this forum playing music to the cows......
then he must be more kuku than kukubird...
hahaha...we may really end up with a kuku president.

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is as good as you can get with those who stay with the establishment. All you can say is this mediocre has a bit of heart. The rest of the character flaws are within the bell curve of inbreeding selection of the PAP.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"A bit of an ego problem"?

I was in the same industry has he was for a couple of years. And even in that short time I've heard of him being a compulsive publicity seeker. I won't be voting for him.

And for the record... this is NOT a smear ok?

thefarside

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is spending too much time rebutting things said online. You cannot win every argument. With his background where he used to be boss (even today in his ventures) it would be hard for him to swallow and agree to disagree.

He forgot that he also has considerable goodwill from his work on minibonds so the things floating around the net is not all negative. Even here there are supporters willing to defend him. This is unlike the lightning party where nobody had anything good to say about them on the net and they had to put a few hundred people to write nice things about them across all the forums to influence public opinion.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
He forgot that he also has considerable goodwill from his work on minibonds so the things floating around the net is not all negative. Even here there are supporters willing to defend him.

TKL should not dignify any smears against him.

It will only inflame matters.

It is far better to let the people decide.

Besides, the points made against him are flimsy at best:
(1) he is not selected to be MP
(2) he wants 100,000 signatures and now he stand without such signatures
(3) he got a WP member to collect forms for him
(4) he did not talk about minibonds when he was in NTUC
(5) he does not understand the President's role

Why should anyone wants to use these reasons with such great vehemence and venom to discredit TKL?

Why should any of these reasons invalidate him? Or cast doubts on his integrity? Why should he even bother to reply to them? Be cool :cool:

One of the purposes of the President is to provide a counter to the ruling party of the day. Thus the first rule is that he/she must not be from the ruling party. But all of them were from the PAP.

So the second rule is that he/she must not be endorsed by the ruling party. Dr Tony Tan appears to have a number of affirmations. I am not sure if it amount to endorsement but certainly his standing for President is not viewed negatively.

This leaves only Tan Kin Lian and Tan Cheng Bock.

Take your pick of these two. They fulfill the spirit and intention of the Presidential Election - to provide a person of last resort to the ruling party in terms of the Reserve.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So the second rule is that he/she must not be endorsed by the ruling party. Dr Tony Tan appears to have a number of affirmations. I am not sure if it amount to endorsement but certainly his standing for President is not viewed negatively.

This leaves only Tan Kin Lian and Tan Cheng Bock.

Take your pick of these two. They fulfill the spirit and intention of the Presidential Election - to provide a person of last resort to the ruling party in terms of the Reserve.

I'm choosing the lesser of the three evils

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm choosing the lesser of the three evils

Ok. The main thing is that the purpose of a President must be fulfilled - to provide a counter to the ruling party's dominance especially in respect to the Reserve.

If Tan Cheng Bock is your man, vote for him.

If Tan Kian Lian, then give your vote.

Much as I like Dr Tony Tan, he will need to show that he can and is willing to provide a counter to the ruling PAP like what Ong Teng Cheong did.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
abit of an ego??!!...big understatement bro...this piece of shit TKL appears to hv a super duper up sized ego...i cant believe that this chap has even the gall n audacity to even consider running for PE...on second tots even "consider" may be incorrect since TKL appears to be soo "reluctant" to run in the first place...this coming fm a chap who tried to launch a 100K petition to run for PE n ended up wif less than 2k of signatures...hohohohohohohoho

jw5

Loyal
abit of an ego??!!...big understatement bro...this piece of shit TKL appears to hv a super duper up sized ego...i cant believe that this chap has even the gall n audacity to even consider running for PE...on second tots even "consider" may be incorrect since TKL appears to be soo "reluctant" to run in the first place...this coming fm a chap who tried to launch a 100K petition to run for PE n ended up wif less than 2k of signatures...hohohohohohohoho

As bro Windsor said, if he's so reluctant to run, it wouldn't be surprising if people are also reluctant to vote for him.

Mwahahahahaha! :biggrin:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should anyone wants to use these reasons with such great vehemence and venom to discredit TKL?

hahaha....the reason is simple.......the demi god has spoken......
for whatever reason, he has a personal agenda.....which he cleverly disguised as a self righteous gentleman.
for sure some pple have an axe to grind or genuine personal unpleasant encounter with tkl.
this is understandable.......
however i can see many are simply jumping into bandwagon as it is fashionable thing with the demi god stoking the flame.

bearpaws

Alfrescian
Loyal
righteous or not, disguise or not, most of the people who vote against the PAP just want change.
amongst the 2 candidates not favoured by the PAP this round, TKL is more likely the one who will create change.
look at the opposition parties in the recent elections---many are no angels either. but people still vote for them---for change

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...He has achieved much with hard work and common sense but he has one unfulfilled desire: "I want to have a PhD. I want to be Dr Tan Kin Lian! It's a test."

Of what?

"Of whether I can make it."... "Tan Kin Lian, 'Just catch me the rat' 147th Prostitute Press, 30 August 1992

I first dealt with TKL about 15 -20 years ago (can't recall exactly when) in soc.culture.singapore before Sam started Sammyboy forum.

What struck me then about TKL was his acute vanity and peacockish narcissm. His seemingly unquenchable thirst for the spotlight and desperate craving for the limelight were as constant as they were shameless.

I can't recall exactly his stupid answer when he was questioned on the ethics of him as CEO of NTUC spending $600, 000 of the cooperative's money on politically partisan RCs for their noticeboards in the 90s. He gave some stupid, forgettable reason/s just as he used to give vacuous replies and just as he used to parrot and vomit out the same, tired PAP's position on nearly every issue that he chose to argue about or comment on.

15-20 years later, we have an older but same old, egotistical Tan Kin Lian vomiting out the same trite replies and rubbish he was vomitting out 15-20 years ago.

Nothing has changed.

This answer he gave in his 1992 interview with the Prostitute Press, perhaps, is an honest indication on why he really wants to run for President. It has nothing to do with the trite, silly and inane rubbish he has been throwing up but everything to do with whether he, Tan Kin Lian, can "make it".

Being President would be Tan Kin Lian's personal and ultimate "test" of whether he can "make it".
Last edited by PTADER; 25-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The office of President does not allow change. The essence of the opposition that you see towards TKL is due to his misleading comments about making change. He must have realised that many Singaporeans are not familiar with the role and what it entails.

If a nurse prescribes medication, people will wonder as we were raised from young to differentiate between a nurse and a doctor. Any nurse making any such claims would be considered mad or being a fraud.

Singapore Politics is a moving target and I appreciate that people struggle with roles and affiliations but we must all start to put two and two together.

The Tan Kin Lian Candidacy is an excellent barometer of Singaporean's grasp of local politics or the lack of it. It is telling and it is sad. I blame the state controlled press that has muted open dialogue, discourse and discussion that we are allowed to be misled easily.

There is a chap in this forum who writes well, sounds matured but is upset by upgrading and the CPF minimum sum etc. He has no avenue and seems desperate and he can't afford to rely on establishment and near estblishment figures and so he picks TKL. He is hoping for something drastic. He might be even know that EP cannot do anything but I suspect wild cannon in the form of TKL is an off chance for change.

Having watched TKL for 3 decades, I more or less know what he will likely do in the Office if elected. A Leopard seldom changes it's spot and this is one. If Barisan was in power instead of PAP, he would have been with them for 30 years and the storyboard will follow the same route.

righteous or not, disguise or not, most of the people who vote against the PAP just want change.
amongst the 2 candidates not favoured by the PAP this round, TKL is more likely the one who will create change.
look at the opposition parties in the recent elections---many are no angels either. but people still vote for them---for change

Zenra2OO3

Alfrescian
Loyal
The office of President does not allow change. The essence of the opposition that you see towards TKL is due to his misleading comments about making change. He must have realised that many Singaporeans are not familiar with the role and what it entails.

If a nurse prescribes medication, people will wonder as we were raised from young to differentiate between a nurse and a doctor. Any nurse making any such claims would be considered mad or being a fraud.

Singapore Politics is a moving target and I appreciate that people struggle with roles and affiliations but we must all start to put two and two together.

The Tan Kin Lian Candidacy is an excellent barometer of Singaporean's grasp of local politics or the lack of it. It is telling and it is sad. I blame the state controlled press that has muted open dialogue, discourse and discussion that we are allowed to be misled easily.

There is a chap in this forum who writes well, sounds matured but is upset by upgrading and the CPF minimum sum etc. He has no avenue and seems desperate and he can't afford to rely on establishment and near estblishment figures and so he picks TKL. He is hoping for something drastic. He might be even know that EP cannot do anything but I suspect wild cannon in the form of TKL is an off chance for change.

Having watched TKL for 3 decades, I more or less know what he will likely do in the Office if elected. A Leopard seldom changes it's spot and this is one. If Barisan was in power instead of PAP, he would have been with them for 30 years and the storyboard will follow the same route.

Hi there:

You said:"The Tan Kin Lian Candidacy is an excellent barometer of Singaporean's grasp of local politics or the lack of it. It is telling and it is sad. I blame the state controlled press that has muted open dialogue, discourse and discussion that we are allowed to be misled easily. "

It doesn't really make sense here if TKL is the one the PAP least want as president what with the PM and Ah Goh now supporting Tony. If they least want TKL as president, I think the media machinary would have been in overdrive by then. However, so far, your exposee of TKL is only in this forum. Nowhere has anyone come forward to publicly expose his misdeeds or misadventures.

If TKL is the most unwanted candidate by the PAP, you would reason that the media machinary would chug full steam to expose him at every corner. Then, you will see the state controlled press flashing every flesh of TKL. So in this sense, the state controlled press will work against TKL, and let all and sundry know.

It is either what is published here in SBF is speculation, opinion-based or subjective, or there isn't much dirt to dig, if you consider the fact that the media hawks are on the prowl.

You can rest assured that any details on TKL's life will not be muted...remember that his presidential candidate rival, TT was formerly head honcho of the media machinery.

wunder_monkey

It is not as much that TKL is PAP's least wanted choice as president as he is PAP's least expected-to-win choice as president.

They probably want to keep TKL in the race to split the opposition votes. He is a godsend to the PAP.

Besides, coming down too harshly on any candidates given the current mood of the electorate would only hurt TT's bid. This is also why they have put off officially endorsing their candidate all this while..

The machinery will only go into overdrive if TKL has a reasonable chance of success. He is no threat at the moment. In fact he is an asset to his former masters, unwittingly or not...........