• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Disgruntled SG investors receive warning not to protest outside DBS HQ

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
EDITORS' Note: Heard that some disgruntled investors who are planning to protest outside DBS HQ has been given warning letters by the police not to do so. Given that DBS had already promised to consider compensating the affected investors, it make no sense for them to break the laws now and get arrested. Let us be patient and wait for the outcome of the independent inquiry. Remember this is Singapore and not Hong Kong. Nobody will cry for you if you end up behind bars. Stay cool and steady.

Some people have been warned by the police against protesting outside DBS’s Shenton Way headquarters. For those who wish to take effective action, I urge that you first master your own emotions before fighting back.

How would breaking the law help you? If even a small group of investors were arrested, it would terrorize the rest into sullen submission. Any attempts at trying to build a case or even to win public opinion would collapse.

Read rest of article here:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/disgruntled-sg-investors-to-protest-outside-dbs-hq/

jw5

Loyal
EDITORS' Note: Heard that some disgruntled investors who are planning to protest outside DBS HQ has been given warning letters by the police not to do so. Given that DBS had already promised to consider compensating the affected investors, it make no sense for them to break the laws now and get arrested. Let us be patient and wait for the outcome of the independent inquiry. Remember this is Singapore and not Hong Kong. Nobody will cry for you if you end up behind bars. Stay cool and steady.

Some people have been warned by the police against protesting outside DBS’s Shenton Way headquarters. For those who wish to take effective action, I urge that you first master your own emotions before fighting back.

How would breaking the law help you? If even a small group of investors were arrested, it would terrorize the rest into sullen submission. Any attempts at trying to build a case or even to win public opinion would collapse.

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/disgruntled-sg-investors-to-protest-outside-dbs-hq/
How did the police know in advance who was planning to protest?

2standards

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any attempts to make the government lose face will be met with broken bones. They have to be crushed at all costs. Be prepared to face the full-battle order riot police battalion.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any attempts to make the government lose face will be met with broken bones. They have to be crushed at all costs. Be prepared to face the full-battle order riot police battalion.

Which lock-up are they going to jail the hundreds or thousands of unhappy people? :confused:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
ask that 75 years old lady go protest, get all the foreign reporters there.

See who dare to arrest her.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They may find TKL responsible for stirring emotions.
Now even TKL may have problem controlling the people.

How can they blame a single person for the unhappiness of many people? :confused:

They may find a scape goat or scare some into behaving, but but the anger will continue to burn until one day it becomes uncontrollable fury. :(

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just let them protest lah.. wtf is wrong with this govt (or in this case, I believe, over-zealous civil servants overreacting to protect their masters). Peaceful protest by probably majority are middle- to old-age folks also scared. It's not like they're extremists or activists. Sibei tulan this type of kia-si attitude :mad:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
KNN like this also get warning. My grand aunty who lost $50K and conned by those charming ladies intends to protest.Die die lor she told me.My cousin who is in the HOme Team got big headache if he were to arrest my grand aunty.She needs a wheel-chair!!!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remembered when i was doing some transactions over the counter and the bank's teller told me, "why not try this? Something like fixed deposit but gives more interest. If you like I get someone to tell you more?" (Implying similarity between a structured product and fixed deposit)

I guess this is where the issue lies - that of misrepresentation.

I remembered a similar case, this time from an insurance company whose agent showed me a comparison of their cash back product against the bank's deposit interest rate. (Implying similarity between an insurance product and savings account)

I guess this is where the buyers fail to do their own thinking.

Whilst it is regrettable that the buyers lose money, it is really their own fault and no one else. They have the option to seek second opinions, stop trusting the banks and insurance companies, do their own research or just stick to good old fashion fixed deposits or LTA bonds. Singapore Government bonds give a good coupon rate and offers a better deal, at least for the foreseeable future.

Instead their greed got the better of them and now they want someone else to foot the bill for them.

As for the misrepresentation, it should be kept to a civil lawsuit against the bank. This is more a reflection of the bank, its attitude to their customers, the integrity of their financial advisers. Certainly not the singapore government or the PAP who did not tell the bank how to market their products.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given that DBS had already promised to consider compensating the affected investors, it make no sense for them to break the laws now and get arrested.

tell that to the grandma and grandpa who have lost their entire "coffin" savings !!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remembered when i was doing some transactions over the counter and the bank's teller told me, "why not try this? Something like fixed deposit but gives more interest. If you like I get someone to tell you more?" (Implying similarity between a structured product and fixed deposit)

I guess this is where the issue lies - that of misrepresentation.

do you think the counter staff dare to say this without the approval from the top?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Riot Police: Hey Mom! Why are you doing here?

..LOL...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not making judgement here.
It depends on what the person had done.
Remember Captain Ryan Goh.

what's wrong with Ryan Goh?

He's merely fighting for the rights of his fellow colleagues.

He should be respected, especially when LKY doesn't like his gut...lol..

Have you ever fought something for somebody other than yourself before?

Z

Zombie

what's wrong with Ryan Goh?

He's merely fighting for the rights of his fellow colleagues.

He should be respected, especially when LKY doesn't like his gut...lol..

Have you ever fought something for somebody other than yourself before?

You are very funny.
Since when did I say Ryan Goh is wrong (or right)?