• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Disappointed with former isa detainee ho kwon ping wanting to keep isa

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]DISAPPOINTED WITH FORMER ISA DETAINEE HO KWON PING WANTING TO KEEP ISA[/h]
Post date:
7 Feb 2015 - 5:44pm

I attended Ho Kwon Ping’s inaugural IPS lecture, where Ho spoke about the future of Singapore, the PAP and even the notorious Internal Security Act or ISA for short. I came to the lecture with high hopes as Ho was a former detainee under the ISA who made good in life despite his detention. Surely he would have some enlightening advice to give to aspiring human rights activists in Singapore.

I was wrong, and left the lecture sorely disappointed and disillusioned.

Ho Kwon Ping is a former journalist turned successful hotelier. A former political activist in his younger days, Ho was detained under ISA in 1977, along with lawyer G Raman, another journalist Arun Senkutuvan, and a list of other “Marxist accomplices”. The government charged Ho with writing pro-Communist articles in the magazine Far Eastern Economic Review.

In his lecture, Ho Kwon Ping did not call for the abolishment of the ISA. Instead, he suggested reducing the initial detention period to one year and putting in more rigorous checks and balances for the subsequent period. He justified the use of the ISA in view of the threat to national security that Islamic radicalisation poses to the world today.

For all his talk about checks and balances for the ISA, Ho has refused to address the biggest rot in Singapore politics: The rule of law in Singapore is a mockery, because the ISA, despite all the checks and balances, still allows for the detention of political opponents and social activists without an open trial.

I was literally floored when Ho uttered the line: “The removal of the power of preventive detention could lead to more dangers”.
I shared the anger and indignance in Mr Chew Kheng Chuan’s comments during the Q&A session when Mr Chew said that the ISA has been “absolutely abused” in Singapore’s history and that the power of preventive detention would always be exploited by governments for their own benefit.

For every day that the oppressive ISA remains in place, Singapore civil society members, welfare volunteers, including members of the press, will continue to live in fear of the repressive PAP regime, who have shown in history that they will use this law without hesitation to silence its critics.

I watched the film, “To Singapore With Love”, by making my way to Johor since it was banned from screening in Singapore. If you are not familiar, the film maker Tan Pin Pin made the film to profile the lives and hopes of 9 political exiles, who escaped from Singapore after the government attempted to detain them under ISA for holding differing political views.

By refusing to demand for the abolishing of the ISA, Ho has turned his back on all of his former leftist allies and ideals. He must have forgotten the pain and humiliation of detention, a fate that he shares with numerous other Singaporean political detainees and exiles, whose only crimes were to speak up for the good of society.
Ho does not speak for my generation today.

We will continue to speak out bravely against injustice and the ISA. We won’t forget the sacrifices of leaders and activists in the past. Most importantly, we won’t back down without a fight. Even Malaysia has recently abolished its own ISA. We will work for the day when Singapore abolishes this outdated and brutal piece of colonial history.

Denny
* Denny is an undergraduate from Yale-NUS.

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
This idiot Ho Cock Pink talks as if detention without trial is the one and only way to deal with Islamic extremist and the latter is a greater danger, which it clearly is not, than unfettered government power over private citizens in the name of threats to public security. He is a mere businessman and can be forgiven for his ignorance and bias in favour of "stability" in the interest of good business. What has the Law Society to say about this? Its President Thio Useless would focus more on disciplining errant lawyers instead of fulfilling its proper role of guiding and informing the Sinkie public on what the law is, what it should be and what it must never be? Bunch of useless morons.

Ho Cock Pink should read the below carefully and tell me which part he does not understand:

The Internal Security Act (ISA), which allows for detention without trial, is inconsistent with the fundamental human rights as articulated in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights signed by 167 countries. To remind one and all, former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, while he was an opposition member in the Legislative Assembly in 1955, spoke out against the Preservation of Public Security Bill (later to be renamed as the ISA), saying:

“What he [then-Chief Minister David Marshall] is seeking to do in the name of democracy is to curtail a fundamental liberty and the most fundamental of them all – freedom from arrest and punishment without having violated a specific provision of the law and being convicted for it”.

He even goes on to say:

“Of course the Chief Minister [Marshall] has not given his assurance to me personally that I would not suffer under these Regulations – but we all believe, at least we all should believe, that as long as his Government is in control, conscientiously, scrupulously, and honestly working these rules and regulations, no one will be penalised or made to suffer who does not deserve to be penalised or made to suffer. But he has not said what would happen if, in fact, these special powers were not used with the same scrupulous care and regard for human values as they are”.

These words are recorded in the Hansard (i.e. Parliamentary reports) for posterity and you can view the complete speech on Parliament’s website.

Well, we now know what could and DID happen if these special powers were “not used with the same scrupulous care and regard for human values as they are”.

What is the Catholic Church’s view of unjust laws? Well, at paragraph 398, the Compendium has this to say:

"Authority must enact just laws, that is, laws that correspond to the dignity of the human person and to what is required by right reason. Human law is law insofar as it corresponds to right reason and therefore is derived from the eternal law. When, however, a law is contrary to reason, it is called an unjust law; in such a case it ceases to be law and becomes instead an act of violence. Authority that governs according to reason places citizens in a relationship not so much of subjection to another person as of obedience to the moral order and, therefore, to God himself who is its ultimate source. Whoever refuses to obey an authority that is acting in accordance with the moral order “resists what God has appointed” (Rom 13:2). Analogously, whenever public authority — which has its foundation in human nature and belongs to the order pre-ordained by God — fails to seek the common good, it abandons its proper purpose and so delegitimises itself."

.............. Do you have in Singapore public authority which fails to seek the common good? Is such an authority legitimate? More to the point – is the ISA an unjust law?

The Church condemns detention without trial and the use of torture at paragraph 404 in the following terms:

"The activity of offices charged with establishing criminal responsibility, which is always personal in character, must strive to be a meticulous search for truth and must be conducted in full respect for the dignity and rights of the human person; this means guaranteeing the rights of the guilty as well as those of the innocent. The juridical principle by which punishment cannot be inflicted if a crime has not first been proven must be borne in mind.

In carrying out investigations, the regulation against the use of torture, even in the case of serious crimes, must be strictly observed: “Christ’s disciple refuses every recourse to such methods, which nothing could justify and in which the dignity of man is as much debased in his torturer as in the torturer’s victim”. International juridical instruments concerning human rights correctly indicate a prohibition against torture as a principle which cannot be contravened under any circumstances."

https://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/10/02/two-dioceses-two-peoples/#more-8218

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyah............see his face.......his new PAP face............became sell-out and turncoat so kena released........

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
isa must be kept to detain extremists without trial, i support cos there are too many siao langs like narong around.:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when one becums successful, there's no need to fix the system that allows one to becum successful. how to get rich and stay rich 101.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr Ho is a businessman, and as a businessman you do not want to cross the pappies.

If not supportive, better remain neutral. Once you antagonise the MIW, better be sure you are Mr Perfect. Dont think the top 50 richest here has anyone openly supporting the opposition.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course we need the ISA. It is an excellent tool to be deployed in a regime change.