• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dirt World Bus Service Dare to Hike Fare?!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
66%: No problem as long as we got coolie rice to eat! *hee*hee*

Fare increase

'Commuters won't quibble if services are up to mark. The question is whether they have improved.' MR SEOW CHWEE GUAN: 'I refer to Saturday's report, 'Bus and MRT fares to go up from Oct 1'. Generally, commuters won't quibble over increases if services are up to mark. The question is whether they have improved since the last public transport survey. Judging from the grouses in the various newspapers on the long wait, overcrowding, bunching (two or more of the same bus services arriving at about the same time) and even leaky buses on rainy days, it appears that some of these problems have yet to be fixed. To be fair, commuters are partly to blame for refusing to move to the rear of the buses to allow others to board, giving the impression that the buses are packed to capacity. The existing premium buses, launched to discourage motorists to drive to work, cater for only a certain segment of commuters. The vast majority still travel by ordinary buses. Given that there are only two major public transport operators (PTOs) running the buses throughout the island, is lack of competition the cause of poor bus services? It is not archaic to compare the current situation with the bygone days when there was competition. Commuters who were dissatisfied with the services of the now-defunct Singapore Traction Company had other options. They could board buses of companies such as Tay Koh Yat, Hock Lee Bus, Green Bus and Changi Bus to name a few. Commuters who rely solely on public buses to reach their destinations have no alternatives now. Do not for a moment underestimate the capabilities of other PTOs. Some of them are currently running modern fleets of buses providing transport to workers in outlying areas. They should be encouraged to take up the challenge to provide an efficient bus transportation system and give SBS Transit and SMRT a run for their money.'

newcat

Alfrescian
Loyal
encourage other PTO's to come into market. First check who is the owner of SBS and SMRT. Why other PTO's cannot come into the market or why is the market not open to others?

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
even if other players come into the game, the dominating company still wins, cos they already set the mkt rate. while the startup & operating costs r all determined by the 1 who owns the monopoly - making it difficult for new comers to compete on the prices.

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last I checked there has been NO IMPROVEMENT! I still have to wait like crazy for a bus and if I am lucky I get a seat! :mad:

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
GOOD point! How come 154th never bring out this point?

the best is that when you pay the so call aircon fare when sometime the aircon is almost non existance....the temperature inside the bus is the same as outside......

just like we pay ERP to ensure road is smooth flowing but end up.....all the road still jammed

sexfrenzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
the schedule and frequency is so screwed up. sometimes the same bus can arrive in 10 minutes and on some days more than 30 minutes.. i have written to screw both SBS and MOT but they have as usual, gave some some templated replies. Gave up complaining to these screwballs.

Just hope to make my money fast and fark off this place for my retirement :smile:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Government Linked Companies or owned companies are used to having their own way here.This is the main reason why when they go overseas,almost all kena whacked properly and suffer from losses.Look at Suzhou, DBS Thai Danu, Singtel investments in Australia/Philippines and many more examples(esp Temasek).The main exception is SIA-because Singapore is so small that it has to compete internationally on an even footing from the first day.
If these bus companies were to do the same thing overseas,like raising bus fares so often , I'm quite sure they will face with major public action like riots or blockage.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our 154th reporters should try taking public transport to get to SPH building at braddell in the peak morning, then write about whether our public transport has fixed any previous problems that is still affecting commuters.
Im surprised our reporters chose to write about public transport comparisons with other countries. This is Spore lah!!!!!!