• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Didn't i say secret to malay food is in the sambal?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be eaten with ikan bakar. Rice. Some ulam ( malay salad). Even late lky agreed

Queen reveals hitherto unknown 'belacan diplomacy'
  • NATION
  • Friday, 25 Oct 2019
    5:20 PM MYT
image: https://apicms.thestar.com.my/uploads/images/2019/10/25/349531.jpg
349531.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): Unknown to many, ‘belacan (shrimp paste) diplomacy’ has been instrumental in a way in strengthening the ties between Malaysia and Singapore.
This matter came to light when the Raja Permaisuri Agong, Tunku Hajah Azizah Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah, on Friday (Oct 25) shared the secret of how her home-made sambal belacan (shrimp paste sauce) was a hit with the late Singapore prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew.

In a tweet, Tunku Azizah, better known as cheminahsayang on the Twitter social media platform, disclosed that she was, at one time, the "official supplier” of sambal belacan to Lee.
In fact, the Queen still supplies sambal belacan to the republic. The sauce is now enjoyed by Kuan Yew’s son and current prime minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong.

"I had long wanted to share this (secret) with Malaysians. I was once the official sambal belacan supplier to the Prime Minister of Singapore... Datuk Lee Kuan Yew... and now supply to his son, PM Lee, ” Her Majesty had posted.
Tunku Azizah had also shared a photograph of a letter written by Kuan Yew on the matter on her Instagram account airtangan_tunkuazizah.
The letter, dated July 23,2009, read: "The six packets of (sambal) belacan you gave me were delicious. I shared them with my two sons. They have all been consumed. It is the best chilli belacan we have tasted. Can my family have a few more?
"Sorry to trouble you over this. It makes so many dishes taste better.”
Tunku Azizah, who had uploaded the picture on May 2,2018, said the letter was most meaningful for her.
"... all because of sambal belacan ... I was deeply touched, ” Her Majesty said.
The airtangan_tunkuzaizah Instagram account holds a collection of the recipes of Her Majesty, reflecting her popularity as a member of the royalty who loves cooking. - Bernama

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...n-039belacan-diplomacy039#61wB3oX0oVKcCJaY.99

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
China have panda diplomacy;
Malaysia have balachan diplomacy;
Singapore have work pass diplomacy. :eek:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
The letter, dated July 23,2009, read: "The six packets of (sambal) belacan you gave me were delicious. I shared them with my two sons. They have all been consumed. It is the best chilli belacan we have tasted. Can my family have a few more?
"Sorry to trouble you over this. It makes so many dishes taste better.”

Never share with Wei Ling? :unsure:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How could sambal be m&d food when it's not even m&d in origin? It's key ingredient was introduced from Europe!

Sambal is often described as Indonesian relish,[8] and it was indeed developed within the Indonesian archipelago. However, its main ingredient, chili pepper of the genus Capsicum is not native to Southeast Asia. Common variants used in sambal recipes include Cayenne pepper (Capsicum frutescens) and green chili pepper (Capsicum annuum). These variants are native to the Western Hemisphere and were introduced to the Indonesian archipelago in the 16th century by Portuguese and Spanish sailors during the Columbian exchange.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
How could sambal be m&d food when it's not even m&d in origin? It's key ingredient was introduced from Europe!

Sambal is often described as Indonesian relish,[8] and it was indeed developed within the Indonesian archipelago. However, its main ingredient, chili pepper of the genus Capsicum is not native to Southeast Asia. Common variants used in sambal recipes include Cayenne pepper (Capsicum frutescens) and green chili pepper (Capsicum annuum). These variants are native to the Western Hemisphere and were introduced to the Indonesian archipelago in the 16th century by Portuguese and Spanish sailors during the Columbian exchange.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal
Thats just the chilly part. Need belacan. Plus all kinds of sambal. Sambal machang my favourite.
IMG_6996.JPG

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
better to grind chili seeds into powder or for them to be removed before making sambal. otherwise, not shiok to makan as full seeds get in the teeth. has to spit them out one by one.