• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Despite spending close to a billion on enhancing drainage systems islandwide the useless PAP government still cannot solve flooding issues

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://tinyurI.com/ksw5y4ph

1626251500020.png

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It is going to get worse with time. Glaciers melting. Polar caps melting. Water that was ice is now going into the water cycle. So there will be more water in sea, rivers and lakes and ponds etc.

Singapore will need more engineering to reduce flooding. Eventually Singapore will see some parts under sea level and will need to build walls to keep the water out. Very energy intensive as well to pump water out of the city.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is going to get worse with time. Glaciers melting. Polar caps melting. Water that was ice is now going into the water cycle. So there will be more water in sea, rivers and lakes and ponds etc.

Singapore will need more engineering to reduce flooding. Eventually Singapore will see some parts under sea level and will need to build walls to keep the water out. Very energy intensive as well to pump water out of the city.
it’s inevitable that sg will flood every year as sea water rises. if underground basins, tunnels, aquifers, ground, canals, drains are saturated, no amount of nor sexpertise in hydro engineering will remove water from the island. it’s a small island afterall. it will have to copy dykes and dams constructed in the netherlands to fend off tides and sea water rise. as an island, it’s worse as water is on all sides, much like venice.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
it’s inevitable that sg will flood every year as sea water rises. if underground basins, tunnels, aquifers, ground, canals, drains are saturated, no amount of nor sexpertise in hydro engineering will remove water from the island. it’s a small island afterall. it will have to copy dykes and dams constructed in the netherlands to fend off tides and sea water rise. as an island, it’s worse as water is on all sides, much like venice.
Inevitable. But I think they will succeed.

They succeeded in overcoming the challenges of the pandemic and even increased the government reserves. No mean feat.

Should be ok.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The construction of too many underground tunnels and building foundations have caused obstruction to the aquifers under the entire island. The govt should have seen this coming.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The construction of too many underground tunnels and building foundations have caused obstruction to the aquifers under the entire island. The govt should have seen this coming.

Can't be helped. I think they knew. But island is small. Need to build those tunnels for roads and cables and pipes and train tracks for mass transport.

Beggar can't be choosers. And when it comes to land Singapore is definitely short on that department by a mile!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Can't be helped. I think they knew. But island is small. Need to build those tunnels for roads and cables and pipes and train tracks for mass transport.

Beggar can't be choosers. And when it comes to land Singapore is definitely short on that department by a mile!
And then again, do not underestimate the govt's lack of foresight. Remember how the mrt system was overwhelmed?

They may also have known the consequences but decided its a small tradeoff.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
And then again, do not underestimate the govt's lack of foresight. Remember how the mrt system was overwhelmed?

They may also have known the consequences but decided its a small tradeoff.

The benefits definitely outweigh the costs.

Singapore is doing very well. Property prices continue to rise. Unemployment is still one of the lowest around the world. High salaries. Economic and social stability. Strong currency. It is a model city.

The lack of land and other natural attractions is easily made up once Singaporeans are allowed to travel again.

You can see why so many want to migrate to Singapore.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The benefits definitely outweigh the costs.

Singapore is doing very well. Property prices continue to rise. Unemployment is still one of the lowest around the world. High salaries. Economic and social stability. Strong currency. It is a model city.

The lack of land and other natural attractions is easily made up once Singaporeans are allowed to travel again.

You can see why so many want to migrate to Singapore.
Wah, so rosy. I am thankful that I stayed on.:biggrin: Majulah Singapura! Majulah PAP!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Wah, so rosy. I am thankful that I stayed on.:biggrin: Majulah Singapura! Majulah PAP!

Actually I have been meeting quite a number of younger Singaporeans who are thinking of moving back to Singapore.

They cite employment. CPF. High value of their HDB flat. High rental yield for their HDB flat as well among the reasons. Not to mention family ties.

So yes. I think in the next 10 years there will be more Singaporeans moving back to Singapore.

I know my own children are also thinking of moving to Singapore for their long term future. Better job prospects in finance.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many Mega ships used the Straits of Malacca pushed the water level up....

Need Kra Canal build before Singapore flooded everything it heavy rain pours...

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Actually I have been meeting quite a number of younger Singaporeans who are thinking of moving back to Singapore.

They cite employment. CPF. High value of their HDB flat. High rental yield for their HDB flat as well among the reasons. Not to mention family ties.

So yes. I think in the next 10 years there will be more Singaporeans moving back to Singapore.

I know my own children are also thinking of moving to Singapore for their long term future. Better job prospects in finance.
Well since these younger sinkies are still sg citizens, then returning to set up a home is an option. Family and food would be the main motivation of most I would think! And if they can tahan the high cost of living (relative to salary), forego quality of life and tahan crowds everywhere, then do it. Personally, if I've left I wouldn't return (just like you and @Charlie99). Visit can, but not live.

Your children can come work here and live an expat lifetstyle:biggrin:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Well since these younger sinkies are still sg citizens, then returning to set up a home is an option. Family and food would be the main motivation of most I would think! And if they can tahan the high cost of living (relative to salary), forego quality of life and tahan crowds everywhere, then do it. Personally, if I've left I wouldn't return (just like you and @Charlie99). Visit can, but not live.

Your children can come work here and live an expat lifetstyle:biggrin:

They say that Singapore is not crowded. Good quality of life. Cheap food. High salary. No taxes. Cars are affordable. Excellent healthcare. Good government Strong currency. Vibrant city. Great place to bring up kids.

They were asking me whether to register son for SG citizenship and get baby bonus. I said go for it! Definitely not good idea to renounce SG citizenship anymore cos will lose the HDB flat! Rental can get $2800 a month! Passive income! 10% ROI!

Hard to beat.

Many regrets in my lifetime....

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
They say that Singapore is not crowded. Good quality of life. Cheap food. High salary. No taxes. Cars are affordable. Excellent healthcare. Good government Strong currency. Vibrant city. Great place to bring up kids.

They were asking me whether to register son for SG citizenship and get baby bonus. I said go for it! Definitely not good idea to renounce SG citizenship anymore cos will lose the HDB flat! Rental can get $2800 a month! Passive income! 10% ROI!

Hard to beat.

Many regrets in my lifetime....
Aiyah, different strokes for different folks. And you can't take the sinkiness out of some sinkies. I happen to know a few of these people. Migrated to oz and nz, then decided to come back. WTF.

Many regrets in your lifetime? Surely moving to Canada can't be one of them.

A good horse doesn’t return to old pastures 好马不吃回头草

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Aiyah, different strokes for different folks. And you can't take the sinkiness out of some sinkies. I happen to know a few of these people. Migrated to oz and nz, then decided to come back. WTF.

Many regrets in your lifetime? Surely moving to Canada can't be one of them.

A good horse doesn’t return to old pastures 好马不吃回头草

Haha then I really fucked up horse cos i go back eat the same grass that I shit and pee on. You should know what I mean lah.