• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Defence personnel under investigation over offensive emails

Kensuke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Defence personnel under investigation over offensive emails

Date June 13, 2013 - 12:25PM
Judith Ireland

art-morrison1-620x349.jpg

Chief of Army, Lieutenant General David Morrison.

Chief of Army, Lieutenant General David Morrison speaks to the media during a press conference in Canberra. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Seventeen Defence personnel, including officers, are under investigation in relation to explicit emails that denigrate women.

In announcing the investigation at a press conference in Canberra, Chief of Army Lieutenant General David Morrison said the allegations being examined were "disgraceful" and "worse than the Skype scandal" that hit Defence in 2011.

General Morrison said he was speaking to the women who were the victims of the emails and imagery.

There are also suggestions that illicit drug use may also be involved.

''I'm appalled at this situation,'' he said.

General Morrison said that three service members have already been suspended and may be persons of interest to the NSW Police.

Five personnel are under consideration for suspension and evidence is being collected in relation to a further nine.

He told reporters that a broader group of about 90 Defence personnel - overwhelmingly from the Army - may be on the periphery of the group involved in the email exchange.

General Morrison says the allegations involve the production and distribution of ''highly inappropriate'' material across both defence computer systems and the public internet over the last three years.

''I'm appalled at this situation,'' he told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.''I view the allegations that are being made in the gravest light.''

More to come...

with AAP

Kensuke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Army faces appalling situation - chief

AAP Updated June 13, 2013, 2:21 pm

The army is investigating allegations that material demeaning women was produced by some of its officers, Chief of Army Lieutenant General David Morrison says.

Lieutenant General Morrison says the allegations involve the production and distribution of "highly inappropriate" material across both defence computer systems and the public internet over the last three years.

"I'm appalled at this situation," he told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.

"I view the allegations that are being made in the gravest light."

He said three army personnel had been suspended from duty already.

The trio may also be persons of interest to the NSW police and there is a possibility of civil charges.

Another 14 army officers and non-commissioned officers appear to have engaged in a series of actions that "strike at the heart of the army's ethos and its contract with the nation."

A further 90 or so other Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel may have been on the periphery of these exchanges, Lieutenant General Morrison said.

He said the "bad apple argument" was no longer acceptable for this type of behaviour in the armed forces.

Lieutenant General Morrison has apologised to some of the women affected.

"I have also spoken today to some of these women who felt comfortable in taking a call from me and I have apologised to them on behalf of the Australian Army," he said.

He said more than five women are involved, including ADF members, public servants and some from the broader public.

Defence Minister Stephen Smith said he had been briefed on the matter.

"I'll very happily speak about the Chief of Army's announcement tomorrow," he told reporters in Perth.

Lieutenant General Morrison said the allegations point to a "systemic problem" in the culture of the army.

Kensuke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Army email scandal: Expert says sexism is deeply engrained in Defence Force

By Simon Lauder, staff, ABC Updated June 13, 2013, 9:01 pm

The latest Defence scandal has prompted calls for a zero-tolerance approach to misconduct, with experts suggesting that engrained sexism in the Army may be worse than first thought.

The Chief of the Army, Lieutenant General David Morrison, has revealed that three personnel that degrade women.

A further five personnel are facing suspension and nine others are being investigated, with around 90 more people implicated in the emails.

Lt Gen Morrison told 7.30 he has been in contact with several of the women targeted by the emails to apologise.

"There are victims of this group's alleged behaviour who have been denigrated in different ways," he said.

"Some through texts, some through distortion of imagery, some through the distribution of material without consent."

Defence Minister Stephen Smith says the Army should take a zero-tolerance approach to the misconduct.

Australia's Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Elizabeth Broderick, made a similar recommendation when she investigated the culture of sexism in the Defence Force less than a year ago.

The email scandal involves a Lieutenant Colonel, majors, warrant officers, sergeants and corporals.

Ms Broderick says she is appalled at the range of people implicated.

"That's what's so abhorrent about it and it also shows the complexity of the issues that have to be solved," she said.

"Because this is just not a particular rank who are all coming together, it's across from senior officers - Lieutenant Colonel - right through to general enlistment."

Culture of sexually objectifying women

Dr Ben Wadham spent five years in the Australian Defence Force and is now a sociologist at Flinders University.

Dr Wadham, a former infantryman, says the use of images to denigrate women is a long-standing tradition in the Australian Defence Forces, but he says the involvement of senior personnel shows the problem may be much worse than previously thought.

"My own experience of being involved in Facebook groups, watching soldiers engage in this sort of behaviour... younger soldiers and... soldiers of different ranks, and the kinds of imagery - the kinds of words and meanings and names and things which come out - are often quite extreme," he said.

"This is a case of quite senior officers over a long period of time and we've just got to ask the question, when will military culture get this right?"

Dr Wadham says the senior ranks of those involved shows that sexism is not confined to young members of the Defence Force.

"I think it also highlights many of the excuses that the Australian Defence Force has used over the past don't hold water," he said.

"In the past, we've blamed it on young men. We've said that this is the sort of behaviour we see in broader society, even in universities. Well, here's an example of a very entrenched culture, a predatory culture amongst a group of men sexually objectifying women."

Lt Gen Morrison was at a loss when he was asked to explain why the poor behaviour persists in the Defence Force.

"I don't have one. I can't be more honest with you than that. I can't put a theory on it. I certainly can't find an easy switch to flick to turn it off," he said.

"I suspect that it's rooted in part in human nature, but that's no excuse either. It's on me. I'm responsible for this, I'm the Chief of the Australian Army.

"This is a setback, but I'm going to pick myself up, use it in conversations with the workforce of Army, reflect on where things have gone wrong and try and put them right."

'Backwards step' for women in defence

The email scandal comes as the Defence Force tries to recover from the 2011 Skype incident, in which a female ADFA cadet was unknowingly broadcast having consensual sex on camera.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has told Fairfax radio the allegations are very disappointing.

"A lot of work has gone into changing the culture in the Army to make it embracive of women. I'm very disappointed, I'm very concerned and clearly the material here is repugnant," she said.

Mr Smith says the latest scandal will damage the reputation of the Army and have a real impact in the ranks of the entire Defence Force.

"To the Army to the Air Force and Navy, the service chiefs, all of whom are seeking to encourage more women to join, this is a backwards step," he said.

"This will discourage women from thinking about either joining the Army, the Air Force or the Navy, or continuing their career," he said.

Lt Gen Morrison says he would still encourage women to join the Army.

"I would say the Army workplace environment will provide challenges for you because we are yet to deal completely with the issues that confront many other workplaces in Australian society in terms of employment for women," he said.

"But I got to tell you the hundreds of thousands of women who are part of our Army are doing an extraordinary job."

Kensuke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Australia army chief tells sexist soldiers to 'get out'
AFP June 14, 2013, 2:37 pm

photo_1371110400403_1_0-18rl80a.jpg

SYDNEY (AFP) - Australia's army chief on Friday told troops to quit if they could not respect women, warning he would ruthlessly rid the military of misogynist men after a new sex scandal exploded.

Lieutenant-General David Morrison said no stone would be left unturned to weed out those who "exploit and demean" female recruits.

"I will be ruthless in ridding the army of people who cannot live up to its values," he said in a message posted on the Australian Defence Force website and YouTube.

"Those who think that it is okay to behave in a way that demeans or exploits their colleagues have no place in this army.

"If that does not suit you, then get out. You may find another employer where your attitude is accepted, but I doubt it.

"The same goes for those who think that toughness is built on humiliating others."

The hardline comments follow Morrison's revelations Thursday that 17 personnel, including officers, were under investigation after hundreds of "explicit and repugnant" emails and images demeaning women were uncovered.

Almost 100 other recruits were implicated.

The Australian newspaper Friday said officers allegedly filmed themselves having sex with women, including colleagues and civilians, then distributed the images to military personnel around the country.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the ring of soldiers at the heart of the scandal called themselves the Jedi Council, swapping footage of their sexual encounters without the women's knowledge.

Morrison said the reports were a "fair description" of what he had been told.

The revelations follow a government report last year detailing more than 1,000 claims of sexual or other abuse in the forces from the 1950s to the present day.

It also depicted a culture in the military of covering up, failing to punish perpetrators and hostility towards victims who complained.

That report was sparked by the so-called Skype scandal in 2011, when footage of a young male recruit having sex with a female classmate was streamed online to cadets in another room without her knowledge.

Morrison said the military was working hard to change, implementing new policies on social media, recruitment and the way in which complaints are handled, and urged soldiers to come forward with any similar incidents.

"If you become aware of any individual degrading another then show moral courage and take a stand against them," he said in the message.

"No-one has ever explained to me how the exploitation and degradation of others enhances capability or honours the traditions of the Australian army."