• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Debate on minimum wage is useless

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came across this yahoo article on minimum/progressive wage. Sirisly, people can debate all they want. I don't really care. Low income workers just need help and all these talk against minimum wage ain't really helping. Talk less, do more.

Attachments

• 257175939.png
    257175939.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 303

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came across this yahoo article on minimum/progressive wage. Sirisly, people can debate all they want. I don't really care. Low income workers just need help and all these talk against minimum wage ain't really helping. Talk less, do more.

What is being pushed right now in Singapore is progressive wage, and it is different from minimum wage. It gives workers a chance to advance in their jobs with pay increment. With progressive wage in place, low income workers can at least move themselves out of their poverty, slowly but surely.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is being pushed right now in Singapore is progressive wage, and it is different from minimum wage. It gives workers a chance to advance in their jobs with pay increment. With progressive wage in place, low income workers can at least move themselves out of their poverty, slowly but surely.

You seem confident that progressive wage will work. So tell me, what is the rate of success in lifting the low wage workers out of "poverty" in Singapore? Any success stories yet?

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well it is a new policy. You can never know the success until you implement it. A lot of countries in the world already implement minimum wage, but ours is a tailored version which I feel is more fair.
You're one to speak about talking less and do more. If you think something else can be done why not you become minister? #keyboardwarrior

KNNBNBCB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knnbccb.

Pap say minimum wage is harmful to sinkies. But Why they insist on minimum wage for ministers.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knnbccb.

Pap say minimum wage is harmful to sinkies. But Why they insist on minimum wage for ministers.

I don't give a shit about how much ministers earn up their sleeves. They can earn 20k a month and that's not my business. As long as they get the work done, keep my country in order and not screw things up, i'm cool with that. I am more concerned about what is actually really being done for the low income workers.

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't give a shit about how much ministers earn up their sleeves. They can earn 20k a month and that's not my business. As long as they get the work done, keep my country in order and not screw things up, i'm cool with that. I am more concerned about what is actually really being done for the low income workers.

Isn't progressive wage what is being done to help low income workers? We don't have a social welfare system. And I don't think we want to serve things on silver platter either.

What should be done for low income workers is for people like you to go out there and help them out. Do you volunteer in welfare and social services? I bet not. Complain only, no action. Typical sinkie.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From one of the commenters (Observer):

The Progressive Wage model has a Base wage --- that means it has a minimum wage built-in. The difference is that the company is determining the base rather than the government mandating it. One thing that history should teach us is that not all companies can be trusted to, without government regulation, enforce a base wage that is fair to their employees.
The author presents this as a "one or the other" discussion, however a company creating a Base Wage has nothing to do with a government's responsibility towards ensuring that companies are not taking advantage of the population..

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Progressive Wage model has a Base wage --- that means it has a minimum wage built-in. The difference is that the company is determining the base rather than the government mandating it. One thing that history should teach us is that not all companies can be trusted to, without government regulation, enforce a base wage that is fair to their employees.
The author presents this as a "one or the other" discussion, however a company creating a Base Wage has nothing to do with a government's responsibility towards ensuring that companies are not taking advantage of the population..

You are damn right. If we leave it to the companies, we can tan kuku for workers' wages to be lifted. After all, some bosses really like cheap stuff. They like cheap products and pay workers cheap. Government needs to step in. I thought there is licensing for the cleaning industry?

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wages are set by tripartite agreements hor. NOT by the companies themselves.

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal

One thing history taught us is the power of unions. Not all companies can be trusted, yes but unions speak for the workers.
History lesson on the power of unions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_Teng_Cheong#Protest_against_the_United_States_embassy

So surely unions like NTUC will be able to help out. Even SIA pilots union also very strong.
United we stand, divided we fall. Just like in X-men.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing history taught us is the power of unions. Not all companies can be trusted, yes but unions speak for the workers.
History lesson on the power of unions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ong_Teng_Cheong#Protest_against_the_United_States_embassy

So surely unions like NTUC will be able to help out. Even SIA pilots union also very strong.
United we stand, divided we fall. Just like in X-men.

Cool story, but there is no legitimate labour union in Singapore.

NTUC is not a legitimate labour union... not when the clown Lim Swee Say is leading it alongside the regime's cronies.

LKY had destroyed labour unions and a free press back in the day, and it's been that way ever since.

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal

NTUC is not a legitimate labour union... not when the clown Lim Swee Say is leading it alongside the regime's cronies.

LKY had destroyed labour unions and a free press back in the day, and it's been that way ever since.

I suppose that you dont know the unions actually represents its union members in court against their employers over employment issues right?

Or the collective agreements the unions have with the employers for better benefits for the workers.

Or the tripartite negotiations that are going behind the scenes...

If NTUC has no teeth, i wonder why the government would want to give a shit about them for the Progressive wage by LSS or the many other changes like CPF or employment act that are pushed by other labour ministers.

Last edited:

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal

I wouldn't go so far to pass my judgement on whether or not we have legitimate labour unions in singapore. Truth is, i have never seen the "behind the scenes" of the work of unions in singapore so i don't have to locus standi to judge. Based on my observations, there wasn't licensing for cleaning industry in the past. Things have changed. Now we have. Why? Invisible forces?

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually not true. I personally feel unions in Singapore still have power and are pushing for a lot for low income workers. NTUC's Lim Swee Say is the one that is pushing for minimum wage, but put a better model in place using progressive wage. I strongly support progressive wage to help the poor.
SIA pilots unions have been successful in getting their voices heard. Even when there was SMRT workers' strike, NTUC and the National Transport Workers' Union mitigated the situation.

Unions are out to help disadvantaged and low income workers. Unions still have power today when companies are out to exploit. I feel people do not understand that unions today still give empowerment to people when they are mistreated. Yes, even in Singapore.

dodgeball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't progressive wage what is being done to help low income workers? We don't have a social welfare system. And I don't think we want to serve things on silver platter either.

What should be done for low income workers is for people like you to go out there and help them out. Do you volunteer in welfare and social services? I bet not. Complain only, no action. Typical sinkie.

When old uncles and aunties sell me tissue paper, i give them money without taking tissue. I also handed a red packet to a security guard on first day of lunar new year just to show my appreciation. You don't need to volunteer just to show that you actually care about their welfare. I am all for volunteering but it is not the only way to help low income workers.

I am not doubting the importance of volunteerism. I am asking what else can be done (apart from debating about minimum wage) to help low wage workers.