• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Daughter of PMD driver appeals for witnesses after father suffers spinal cord damage in accident

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
PMDs are a substitute for cars when the distance is beyond the walking option.

I fully support the use of PMDs as they are a lot safer compared to motor vehicles.

Motor accidents cause far more injuries and deaths compared to PMDs. Just look at the statistics for yourself.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/global/index.html

If 50% of journeys currently undertaken in cars could be replaced with PMD rides the world would be a far safer place.

Have u ever commuted regularly on an escooter? You are just citing numbers with no context to it. Experience counts more than theory.

I personally know more than 3 people who have suffered serious injuries while riding the dam machines, and 1 person twice removed who died from resultant injuries.

The machines are a death trap. High Center of Gravity, small diameter wheels. It's a recipe for disaster. There are countless curbs and imperfections on our sidewalks and a single one could cause a most grievous accident.

I have to call time on your PMD is safe bullshit.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Have u ever commuted regularly on an escooter? You are just citing numbers with no context to it. Experience counts more than theory.

I personally know more than 3 people who have suffered serious injuries while riding the dam machines, and 1 person twice removed who died from resultant injuries.

The machines are a death trap. High Center of Gravity, small diameter wheels. It's a recipe for disaster. There are countless curbs and imperfections on our sidewalks and a single one could cause a most grievous accident.

I have to call time on your PMD is safe bullshit.

I use my e-scooter daily as long as it's not raining. I'm now on my second one. The first was a Mi M365 but I found it to be too slow and the range was insufficient for my needs.

I have since upgraded to the Zero 10x which can do 60kph and has a theoretical range of 100km and a confirmed range of 60km. I say "confirmed" because I regularly use it for a 60km round trip and there is still around half charge available.

As is the case with all modes of transport you have to ride or drive to the conditions. I have never come close to falling off because on uneven surfaces I'll slow down and I'll speed up when the coast is clear.

Lot's of people get killed or injured falling off their bikes too but I've been riding on the roads for more than 40 years without anything major happening. A few scrapes and bruises and that's about it.

I came closest to being killed on the roads in my car when the vehicle next to me lost control and took me out. I skidded across three lanes and a container truck missed me by inches. Had he ploughed into me I would have been dead for sure.

zero-10X-electric-scooter-ride-the-glide-canada.jpg

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use my e-scooter daily as long as it's not raining. I'm now on my second one. The first was a Mi M365 but I found it to be too slow and the range was insufficient for my needs.

I have since upgraded to the Zero 10x which can do 60kph and has a theoretical range of 100km and a confirmed range of 60km. I say "confirmed" because I regularly use it for a 60km round trip and there is still around half charge available.

As is the case with all modes of transport you have to ride or drive to the conditions. I have never come close to falling off because on uneven surfaces I'll slow down and I'll speed up when the coast is clear.

Lot's of people get killed or injured falling off their bikes too but I've been riding on the roads for more than 40 years without anything major happening. A few scrapes and bruises and that's about it.

I came closest to being killed on the roads in my car when the vehicle next to me lost control and took me out. I skidded across three lanes and a container truck missed me by inches. Had he ploughed into me I would have been dead for sure.

View attachment 60655

Then you should know exactly how dangerous the curbs and breaks in the pavement are, especially when riding to a new place for the first time.

But then again, 2 out of 3 injuries I know of occurred on their regular routes.

If there are statistics from insurance claims and A&E departments available, I am sure the real dangers of scooters will become more apparent.

Since u ride daily, I can only wish u well and remind u to wear a helmet.

It is irresponsible to give the impression that it's a safe mode of transportation when it is not the case.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Then you should know exactly how dangerous the curbs and breaks in the pavement are, especially when riding to a new place for the first time.

But then again, 2 out of 3 injuries I know of occurred on their regular routes.

If there are statistics from insurance claims and A&E departments available, I am sure the real dangers of scooters will become more apparent.

Since u ride daily, I can only wish u well and remind u to wear a helmet.

It is irresponsible to give the impression that it's a safe mode of transportation when it is not the case.

The reason why it is dangerous in Singapore is because the stupid, moronic government force e scooters onto the pavement which is a danger both to the e scooter users AND pedestrians.

In NZ I ride on the road and in all the suburbs where the speed limit is 50kph i just go the same speed as the cars and there are no issues at all.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why it is dangerous in Singapore is because the stupid, moronic government force e scooters onto the pavement!
KNN actually the stupid moronic gov should either force e scooters onto the pavement or on the road KNN if neither here nor there then is more prone to accidents without anticipations KNN

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason why it is dangerous in Singapore is because the stupid, moronic government force e scooters onto the pavement which is a danger both to the e scooter users AND pedestrians.

In NZ I ride on the road and in all the suburbs where the speed limit is 50kph i just go the same speed as the cars and there are no issues at all.

I assumed wrongly u were riding in Singapore.

I'm sure it's a more pleasant experience riding in new Zealand

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I assumed wrongly u were riding in Singapore.

I'm sure it's a more pleasant experience riding in new Zealand

Well there are less rules and regulations for a start. Singapore is stifling when it comes to controlling what the populace do. In NZ we have e scooter companies that provide e scooters for rent and they are doing a roaring trade.

The city council is very happy because more e scooters means less car trips.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well there are less rules and regulations for a start. Singapore is stifling when it comes to controlling what the populace do. In NZ we have e scooter companies that provide e scooters for rent and they are doing a roaring trade.

The city council is very happy because more e scooters means less car trips.

Singapore also had less rules and regulations when the population was under 3 million.

the fact is the denser the population, the more restrictive it becomes out of necessity.

i don't want unlicenced and uninsured scooters clogging up the roads, weaving between traffic and being a nuisance to other road users. They cannot even conduct themselves properly on the sidewalks let alone the roads.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Singapore also had less rules and regulations when the population was under 3 million.

the fact is the denser the population, the more restrictive it becomes out of necessity.

i don't want unlicenced and uninsured scooters clogging up the roads, weaving between traffic and being a nuisance to other road users. They cannot even conduct themselves properly on the sidewalks let alone the roads.
10million for a small island. Lol :biggrin:
More PMD explosion and accidents :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

You take a stand against PMD riders but remain silent regarding the swarms of Malaysian motorbike riders that invade the country daily.

They too are uninsured and don't give a shit about road rules.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
You take a stand against PMD riders but remain silent regarding the swarms of Malaysian motorbike riders that invade the country daily.

They too are uninsured and don't give a shit about road rules.

There is nothing I can do about the Malaysian bikes which are licenced by their local authorities. Obviously the LTA has allowed this to happen and the Traffic police doesn't enforce against the rogue Malaysian hell riders. It's like asking me to take stand against COE or road tax.

PMDs in their unlicenced form should be confined to sidewalks. If you want them on the roads, get them licenced. Do u really want to see 12 year olds on these machines ridding next to the Malaysian swarms?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
There is nothing I can do about the Malaysian bikes which are licenced by their local authorities. Obviously the LTA has allowed this to happen and the Traffic police doesn't enforce against the rogue Malaysian hell riders. It's like asking me to take stand against COE or road tax.

PMDs in their unlicenced form should be confined to sidewalks. If you want them on the roads, get them licenced. Do u really want to see 12 year olds on these machines ridding next to the Malaysian swarms?

Life is not about licensing it's about freedom. E scooters are all over the place in NZ and none of them are licensed and apart from the odd prang the world has not ended.

When you call for licensing you're just playing into the hands of the government because licensing invariably involves paying $$$$$ on a regular basis.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Life is not about licensing it's about freedom. E scooters are all over the place in NZ and none of them are licensed and apart from the odd prang the world has not ended.

When you call for licensing you're just playing into the hands of the government because licensing invariably involves paying $$$$$ on a regular basis.

I'm all for freedom in a low population density country like NZ.

In sardine can Singapore, please licence to keep idiots off the roads. It could be a one time licence fee like a class 3 driver's licence. Make them wear safety vests with the licence number printed on the vests.

Have u checked out the local sg e-scooter groups like BWSS? The LTA certainly has and are right to conclude PMDs should be kept off the roads for now.

I would change my position if there were dedicated bicycle/PMD Lanes on the road. But right now, PMDs and automobiles shouldn't mix.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I'm all for freedom in a low population density country like NZ.

In sardine can Singapore, please licence to keep idiots off the roads. It could be a one time licence fee like a class 3 driver's licence. Make them wear safety vests with the licence number printed on the vests.

Have u checked out the local sg e-scooter groups like BWSS? The LTA certainly has and are right to conclude PMDs should be kept off the roads for now.

I would change my position if there were dedicated bicycle/PMD Lanes on the road. But right now, PMDs and automobiles shouldn't mix.

In my opinion it is rules regarding motor vehicles that should be tightened. Take cars for example nobody needs a car beyond 1600 cc capacity in Singapore. All cars should also be speed limited to 70 kph and an appropriate weight and size limit should be applied just as is the case with e scooters.

Licencing needs to be far more stringent too there are just too many incompetent drivers on the roads.

More than 100 people are killed in motor accidents annually. That's 100 too many. E scooters are far safer.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Electric scooter laws: QLD, Australia

During this ongoing trial, e-scooters can travel at a maximum speed of 25km/h, and can only be used on footpaths – not on roads or in cycle lanes.

Additionally, riders must wear an approved helmet.

E-scooters are still banned in NSW, Victoria & WA.

Valium

Alfrescian
Loyal
That BigCherry cheebye or whatever his fucking nick will be lying there next like this PMD fucker.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my opinion it is rules regarding motor vehicles that should be tightened. Take cars for example nobody needs a car beyond 1600 cc capacity in Singapore. All cars should also be speed limited to 70 kph and an appropriate weight and size limit should be applied just as is the case with e scooters.

Licencing needs to be far more stringent too there are just too many incompetent drivers on the roads.

More than 100 people are killed in motor accidents annually. That's 100 too many. E scooters are far safer.

If you measure deaths/injuries by per kilometer travelled, esccoters will be far more dangerous.

100 deaths vs a vehicle population of 1million, clocking million of miles per day is probably statistically insignificant.

So far 85000 scooters have been registered. 8.5% the vehicle population, and commuting far fewer kilometers.

I am sure there are more than 8.5 scooter fatalities per year.