• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dandy / Beano

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Started with this
tumblr_kzyxv9FXPZ1qaxw0xo1_400.jpg

progress to this:
01300000010645118302516101178.jpg

and then to this:
%E6%96%B0%E8%91%97%E9%BE%99%E8%99%8E%E9%97%A8_VOL349_0001.jpg

and finally to this:
2009117203356222.jpg

almost could not get my 'O' level certificate.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kNN, my barber in Kallang Airport gave me xxx magazine to see,
then every time i went back to him.
I enjoy reading MAD magazine.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kNN, my barber in Kallang Airport gave me xxx magazine to see,
then every time i went back to him.
I enjoy reading MAD magazine.
Hehehehe. Actually, I enjoy both England and HK comics. As long as it is not too 'chim' or 'bo liao', and most important thing is must have lots of pictures (Ang Kongs). XXX magazines will like treasure in the past but by today's standard, think no one even bother to take a look at XXX magazines.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Same here, it used to be a treat to go to the Barber along the old shophouses at Somerset. I believe the barber's name was Sri Dewa.

The longer the queue, the happier I was as it meant I could read more.

I still remember back then some classmates would also subscribe to Beano and Dandy, was so envious of them as it cost a whopping 50c per issue!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beano was where I first came across the word "daft".

For british comics, 2000AD/Judge Dredd deserves special mention...

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
you didnt buy from ah Koon at marshall road?

I grew up every Thursday,waiting for my father to come back from work to get my copy of Dandy and Beano form the Mamak Newsagent at Katong Ceylon Road.Memories....haaahhhh.....simpler times those time.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here, it used to be a treat to go to the Barber along the old shophouses at Somerset. I believe the barber's name was Sri Dewa.

I still remember back then some classmates would also subscribe to Beano and Dandy, was so envious of them as it cost a whopping 50c per issue!

Same here bro although I am more into Dell comics. Could not afford the luxury as pocket always kosong.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sri Dewa is now pretty much everywhere in Singapore.

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
For british comics, 2000AD/Judge Dredd deserves special mention...

you are right...I moved on from Beano to 2000AD. I think it was actually a Rogue Trooper cover that got my attention. All the characters from the early 80's were great......Rogue, Dredd, Robo Hunter, Stontium Dog, Slaine, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Halo Jones. Loved them all. best of all, I have my whole collection this time and did not give away like I did with my Beanoes.....

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes bro...thats the one. He started his makeshift stall in Marshall Rd around 1964 or so. Used to buy about 1 comic a month from him.

You mean the 2nd hand comic store that eventually moved to the market at Marine parade:confused:

Nowadays many 2nd hand book stores cannot survive the high rentals. There are very few of them left:(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes bro...thats the one. He started his makeshift stall in Marshall Rd around 1964 or so. Used to buy about 1 comic a month from him.

I think it was called Silver Kris? Used to go there to exchange comics. Always had a good range of comics & the exchange rate was something like 2 for 1. Years ago I visited the place in Marine Parade. I know the son took over the business, but that was years ago & don't know if the business is still around?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is it a franchise thing or like "Katong Laksa", where pretty much anyone who serves laksa with a spoon in a small bowl of broken noodles claims the name? :biggrin:

Sri Dewa is now pretty much everywhere in Singapore.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes silver kris is correct. Ah Koon and his younger brother 6 ( lark ) ti ran it. Later on Ah Konn's wife helped out.

They shifted to Marine Parade and the son took over. They couldnt survive solely on comice so they dealt in 2nd hand books too.

Not too sure if they are still in business these days bro.

I think it was called Silver Kris? Used to go there to exchange comics. Always had a good range of comics & the exchange rate was something like 2 for 1. Years ago I visited the place in Marine Parade. I know the son took over the business, but that was years ago & don't know if the business is still around?

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it a franchise thing or like "Katong Laksa", where pretty much anyone who serves laksa with a spoon in a small bowl of broken noodles claims the name? :biggrin:

I guess it is a franchise although similar barber shops has started which are just as good if not better.

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes silver kris is correct. Ah Koon and his younger brother 6 ( lark ) ti ran it. Later on Ah Konn's wife helped out.

They shifted to Marine Parade and the son took over. They couldnt survive solely on comice so they dealt in 2nd hand books too.

Not too sure if they are still in business these days bro.

I did go there once in a while and also buy the durians behind his stall.

grunt72

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, started reading these comics in the early 80s. Like Eagle comic with Dan Dare and also 2000AD with Judge Dredd. Anyone remember Screem? Horror comics. Good memories!