• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Curious on currency displayed in hotel

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When going overseas staying in hotel, i realized the usual currency displayed is USD, YEN, EURO and so on.
Why YEN? Why not SGD? SGD is stronger than YEN.
It is due to that YEN is more active floating in the market?

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where overseas? Sure they will not display currency exchange rates in places where sinkeepoos are relatively few.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will only display SGD when the Yusof Ishak picture replaced by LKY's....or else very confusing. They think we Muslim country.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
When going overseas staying in hotel, i realized the usual currency displayed is USD, YEN, EURO and so on.
Why YEN? Why not SGD? SGD is stronger than YEN.
It is due to that YEN is more active floating in the market?

How do you define "stronger"?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets say asia region.
At the check in reception, there will be a display of currency, usually you will see USD, EURO, YEN etc. There is no SGD.
Most of the time is YEN, imho, represent as an asia active currency?
Why they dont put RMB, MYR, SGD etc?
Since prc the population so big, why not RMB?
I just curious:biggrin:
I always learn if you not sure, ask.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do you define "stronger"?
Imho, as a commoner, didnt our SGD value is bigger than YEN? Simple when we use SGD exhange for YEN?
Or is it SGD only paper value is strong? Not enuff gold to support the currency?
In Japan has more gold, more different currency floating than Sinkieland?:biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Imho, as a commoner, didnt our SGD value is bigger than YEN? Simple when we use SGD exhange for YEN?
Or is it SGD only paper value is strong? Not enuff gold to support the currency?
In Japan has more gold, more different currency floating than Sinkieland?:biggrin:

There is no such thing as "bigger" or "smaller" value. Floating currencies are measured according to their exchange rates against other currencies.

Just because 1 SGD buys 82 Yen does not make it stronger it's simply a different definition of a unit of currency. If you measure SG cents vs Yen it would mean that 100 SG cents buy 82 Yen but nothing changes except the unit of measure.

No currencies follow the gold standard anymore so comparisons based on this standard are obsolete.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no such thing as "bigger" or "smaller" value. Floating currencies are measured according to their exchange rates against other currencies.

Just because 1 SGD buys 82 Yen does not make it stronger it's simply a different definition of a unit of currency. If you measure SG cents vs Yen it would mean that 100 SG cents buy 82 Yen but nothing changes except the unit of measure.

No currencies follow the gold standard anymore so comparisons based on this standard are obsolete.
Ok put in simple, the hotel displayed usually these 4 currency will appear USD, EURO, AUD, YEN.
My qns is why YEN? If we talk about asia region, why use YEN as a representative currency why not other asia country currency?:biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Ok put in simple, the hotel displayed usually these 4 currency will appear USD, EURO, AUD, YEN.
My qns is why YEN? If we talk about asia region, why use YEN as a representative currency why not other asia country currency?:biggrin:

Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy so there is no reason to be surprised.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy so there is no reason to be surprised.
Are u sure?
How to measure if they are 3rd largest economy? Their current economy is in dire situation. Unemployment is growing, more japs living under the highway. Shouldnt be YEN replace by SGD?:biggrin: