• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

cum meet Richard, Sg most quaLeefied dish washer and flyers distributor

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/out-of-work-and-out-of-luck-in-search-for-full-time-jobs

Richard is aged 48, single and holds a master's degree in financial management.

Four years ago, the former senior banker lost his $14,000-a -month job.

In between his search for full- time work, he did odd jobs such as washing dishes in a restaurant and distributing flyers.

this one must realLee say kum xia to our PAP garment

I think this Richard must be a realLee buay kan

stardee so high god what use

ghost and look for Sakae Douglas lah

$3,000 to wash dishes: Sakae Sushi

Douglas will appoint Richard as a Dish Washing Regional Head

tiagong, celery smelly smelly 15k per moon

Last edited:

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
A $14,000 pay is roughly a middle level VP job in which there are thousands of in a typical bank. Nobody will label a mid-low management staff working in a bank a "senior banker" unless you are referring to age in which this is clearly not the case (Richard was only 44 when terminated).

It is this sort of shoddy journalism and laziness to not even bother to understand the subject matter they are writing about that causes me to ditch my Straits Times subscription many years ago.

Last edited:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A $14,000 pay is roughly a middle level VP level job in which there are thousands of in a typical bank. Nobody will label a mid-low management staff working in a bank a "senior banker" unless you are referring to age in which this is clearly not the case here (Richard was only 44 when he was terminated).

It is this sort of shoddy journalism and laziness to not even bother to understand the subject matter they are writing about that causes me to ditch my Straits Times subscription many years ago.

The Straits Times is really substandard despite its monopoly! It's dying from its own systemic failures and faults which of course is also due to its lousy and one-sided reporting. One can't really expect too much from a government mouthpiece.:biggrin:

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times is really substandard despite its monopoly! It's dying from its own systemic failures and faults which of course is also due to its lousy and one-sided reporting. One can't really expect too much from a government mouthpiece.:biggrin:

The one-sided reporting is a given since birth, so I have no expectations of them being fair and balanced on political issues of the day. That said, I noticed ever since the government went full throttle on privatizing public goods in the early 2000s, SPH senior management seems to have decided henceforth that newspapers were nowhere as lucrative as other areas like properties and started shifting resources away from the news business.

This has since been exacerbated by the proliferation of online alternatives and it has reached a point whereby the news division is just kept to a minimum skeleton crew for "national service" while all the financial and manpower resources are gathered at a collection of side businesses.

Case in point is this story - all it would have taken for the journalist was to call up someone who has worked in the banking industry for a few years and they would have pointed out that Richard was no "senior banker". Instead what we see is a full demonstration of professional lethargy where she was too lazy to even make some cursory inquiries and simply inferred or took Richard at his word probably because compared to her own pay as a reporter $14,000 seems like a lot.

Some people may argue that we should cut some slack as this simple fact does not affect the gist of the story which I think is trying to create awareness that it is not easy for some PMEs to find re-employment beyond a certain age. However, the big picture narrative is if you cannot even get a few simple facts right, on what basis can I trust you actually know what you are talking about in all other areas? Without basic fact checking, where is the value-add as a journalist? Why do I need to pay for a collection of regurgitated and unverified kopitiam "chit-chats" and gossips?

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He has a master's degree in financial management and he can't even manage his own finances for early retirement. Really jiak liao bee! Must have lost all his clients' monies.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good reporter would follow up with a story on the influx of Ah Nehs taking away jobs that should have occupied by sinkees by this guy.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think SPH got worse after the NOL wrecker became its CEO in 2017.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Out of work and out of luck in search for full-time jobs
Richard is aged 48, single and holds a master's degree in financial management.
Four years ago, the former senior banker lost his $14,000-a -month job. Life has been a long struggle since.
He found work in two small information technology companies. But when the businesses hit a rough patch, he was retrenched.
In between his search for full- time work, he did odd jobs such as washing dishes in a restaurant and distributing flyers.
Flitting from one temporary job to another is typical of many in the growing pool of out-of-work professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs), who are taking longer to find permanent jobs.
Manpower Ministry figures released this week show that, on average, only 47.9 per cent of residents last year got a job within six months of being laid off - the first time in at least seven years that the proportion fell below 50 per cent.
BOSSES NOT WILLING TO ADAPT
I am willing to adapt, but I feel employers are not willing to adapt. They keep wanting people with the right experience.
A 48-YEAR-OLD FORMER SENIOR BANKER, who lost his $14,000-a-month job four years ago.​
HARD TO GET BACK ON TRACK
Once they fall off a career track, it may be hard to get back on because, if the industry picks up again, employers may see jobs like driving Uber or selling property as irrelevant experience.
SINGAPORE UNIVERSITY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES LABOUR ECONOMIST WALTER THESEIRA​
The situation is worse for PMETs and degree holders, whose re-entry rates are 43.9 per cent and 42.5 per cent, respectively.
In addition, 1 per cent of degree holders in the resident labour force were jobless for at least 25 weeks, compared with the overall average of 0.8 per cent.
One of Richard's biggest obstacles is convincing employers that he is willing to work for as little as $3,000 a month, or to take a chance with him despite his lack of experience.
At one job fair, he applied for a caregiver role but was told it required related experience.
"I am willing to adapt, but I feel employers are not willing to adapt. They keep wanting people with the right experience," he said.
Experts say one of the biggest dilemmas facing jobless PMETs is whether to take the first job that comes along even if it is less than ideal, or to wait for a better one.
"Once they fall off a career track, it may be hard to get back on because, if the industry picks up again, employers may see jobs like driving Uber or selling property as irrelevant experience," said Singapore University of Social Sciences labour economist Walter Theseira.
NeXT Career Consulting Group managing director Paul Heng said PMETs need to be alert to technological changes and upgrade their skills in time.
Citing the insurance industry, he noted that technology has made it easier to buy products online instead of through agents.
National Trades Union Congress U PME Centre consultant Loh Peizhen advised people who are unemployed for long periods to keep their skills relevant and to spend time networking.
"Consider doing short-term project work and reconnect with old networks and form new networks," she said.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is why I have always maintained that everyone should aim for financial independence by the age of 45.

Surely someone who in their early 40s and earning a relatively large salary should be able to see the writing on the wall well before the inevitable happens.

What did Richard expect? Did he actually believe that his dream run would last till he was 65? The answer is obvious. When you get to your 40s you're well on your way to the edge of the cliff so it is time to get off the train before it goes over.

Those who are in their late 30s and early 40s should read my retirement thread and start their financial planning immediately. DO NOT waste another day!

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/the-retirement-thread.151153/

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why I have always maintained that everyone should aim for financial independence by the age of 45.

Surely someone who in their early 40s and earning a relatively large salary should be able to see the writing on the wall well before the inevitable happens.

What did Richard expect? Did he actually believe that his dream run would last till he was 65? The answer is obvious. When you get to 40s you're well on your way to the edge of the cliff so it is time to get off the train before it goes over.

Those who are in their late 30s and early 40s should read my retirement thread and start their financial planning immediately. DO NOT waste another day!
You should read the bloomberg report about how you lose 5 years of your life every year you work after 45

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think this Richard guy should be a married man

after he lost his job

his wife also run road

cos simi luxury also bo liao

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2017 news. I hear after help from his PAP MP he manage to find another role as data analyst. He is now earning 13.9 k and leads a team of 29 ah nehs.