• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CPF issues solved?

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...scheme-increase-intergenerational-inequality/

The article, with inaccuracies, is actually a catalyst to solving the CPF issues. The writer is assuming that:
- an HDB flat will continue to appreciate in value even when the index has already touched 200
- there are no recessions
- Singaporeans are immortals, even at 65, homeowners still want to enjoy an "appreciating and wealth enhancing asset"
- the exit point for investment is indefinite
- paper wealth can put food on the table
- all Singaporeans are married with children, not widowed, not divorced, not single, and have beneficiaries

It's strange, isn't it? When it comes to Sentosa Cove, wealthy people can decide when to take profits/cut losses. But when it comes to government flats, people cannot decide for themselves when to exit. They should stupidly sit on paper profits without smelling their CPF money, accidentally leaving their properties to their relatives/public trustees.

CPF money is meant for retirement use, not as bequest. Though we shouldn't stop the well-off from doing so as they have the luxury.

We have been allowed to withdraw our money prematurely during our youth to invest in a home to generate investment income. That's why at 55, we have to return the money, unless we are high-income earners who have surplus CPF money to meet the Minimum Sum. For low- income earners, we are allowed to pledge our flats rather than made to do force-sale.

When we invest in shares/gold/castles in the air, selling to take profit is a very joyous occasion. Some people have been trying to paint selling houses as something very negative. Rich people change homes many times. The filthy rich rent to experience different lifestyles. Heartland widows happily sell their flats to move in with their children and go for China tours/afternoon karaoke.

Giving the next generation a better chance? Yes, by investing in an education when they are of school-going age, with money of course. Not dropping out of school because the parents are cash poor. Anyway, in usual cases, by the time the parents are retired, their children should be adults and giving their parents allowance, not the other way round. If so, is there a need to sell their property?

We have been (at least for the older generation) enjoying "appreciating and wealth enhancing asset" from the day we bought our flat till retirement. That's easily many decades. Anyone cash-poor retiree who still want to continue is either very greedy or mentally unsound.

The government is overwhelmingly strong-handed in deciding how we should manage our CPF funds. But people cannot choose when to die. Looking at the mortality table, a huge percentage of Singaporeans are actually collateral damage.

There is a compromise to returning our CPF at 55 and retaining them beyond 65. It is simply to give the people the freedom to exit their property investments anytime from 55 to 65. So studio apartments/retirement villages at 55 is a necessity. 55 also matches the year of mandatory setting up of Retirement Account and pledging of property. Any mismatch is a serious mistake.

Solving the retirement problem has the extra bonus of solving the housing problem of the nation. Over-building will be a problem. Not building more will lead to unaffordable housing for the young. The population is 5.4 million now, not 2.5 million. So realistically, we should be staying in smaller flats. Retired single-member households will lead the way since young families are still quite resistant. :smile:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let people decide themself if they want to down grade 1/2/3 room flat to cash out use the money as retirement fund.
For me best is they down grade and buy smaller property like retirement village. No need to save too much money pass to next generation if they really cannot afford.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Phouse3

Did you read the article? From the start, the writers is stating its a hopeless scheme that does nothing.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I certainly think it is a hopeless scheme. I don't think the writer agrees. Can show me which paragraph?

If the takeup rate for 3-room at 55 is low, the takeup rate for 4-room at 65 will be lower. That's why I think the MND is manipulating retirees to go for studio apartments. The biggest concern is if MND will raise the eligible age for studio apartments to 65 too after GE2016.

Lower value 3-room LBS takeup rate is already very low at 55. (It was amended to 65 just days ago). Higher value 4-rm LBS takeup rate at 65 will be even lower. Also, the pool of eligible buyers from 55 to 65 has been cut off.

LBS means you sell your flat to the HDB and then pay them to stay in the flat for 30 years. It is just like you shopping for a rental property, the bigger it is, the higher the rental, the more you have to pay the landlord.

The older you are, the more nonsensical the 30-year lease is. Most people already think they will under-live the 30-year rental from 55. Definitely, they will under-live the 30-year lease from 65. Who can live until 95? A few ghost-writers have been penning letters to the media to fake the impression that people are worried they will out-live the lease.

Are you disappointed that Gerard Giam said the following? Moreover, I think he didn't even know the age has been raised.

(quote)It is good that the Lease Buyback Scheme (LBS) has been extended to 4-room flats. The LBS has not seen a very good take up rate so far, in large part because it was restricted to only 3-room or smaller flats. But as I had stated in my 2012 Budget debate speech, I would prefer for LBS to be extended to all flat sizes. This will help more elderly folks monetise their flats without having to sell and move out of their flats, which many of them attach a lot of sentimental value to. This is what I said in 2012:
“…most elderly folks prefer to remain in their current homes, rather than get displaced to unfamiliar surroundings in their old age.
To give the elderly more choice, the Lease Buyback Scheme should be extended to owners of 4-room or larger flats, just like the Silver Housing Bonus. Currently only owners of 3-room or smaller flats are eligible. This could be a reason for the low take up rate.
An enhanced Lease Buyback Scheme will enable more of our elderly to age in place, and to live their golden years in familiar surroundings, without having to worry too much about finances.” (unquote)

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Phouse3

Did you read the article? From the start, the writers is stating its a hopeless scheme that does nothing.

From 666, scroobal up 3 points hrs ago and now up 2 more to 671. No wonder he likes newbies so much.
Very gian peng, up 3 then 2 like that also song.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope my understanding is correct.

In a Lease Buyback, people take the $20k bonus, if they outlive the lease, the problem become the govt's; if they under-live the lease, their children get the refund. They can also return the flat prematurely and get a pro-rated refund. In other words, people can have their piece of cake and eat it too.

In Studio Apartment scheme, people take the $20k bonus, if they under-live the lease, there is no re-fund; if they over-live the lease, the problem become the govt's.

If the above is the case. As long as Studio Apartment scheme continues to start at 55, I think it is very fair. The only thing unfair is it takes years for a BTO. In Kampung Admiralty, the demand is 6 times the supply. But in some places like Hougang, the demand is less than supply.