• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Counterfeit & Fakes, a Chinese Tradition?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Western Nations long held puzzle over China's penchant for manufacturing fakes is fast becoming solved.

Looks like they discovered the 3rd fake event in the Olympics. The part where 56 kids representing the 56 minorities in China all turned out to be Han Chinese despite claiming all the while that they are ethnic kids representing their respective minority groups.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Western Nations long held puzzle over China's penchant for manufacturing fakes is fast becoming solved.

Looks like they discovered the 3rd fake event in the Olympics. The part where 56 kids representing the 56 minorities in China all turned out to be Han Chinese despite claiming all the while that they are ethnic kids representing their respective minority groups.

That includes sinkies as well. Dun forget.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That includes sinkies as well. Dun forget.
Are you referring to the Mt Everest Expedition where the nationalities of the leader and the group was withheld from the public or the public perception was not corrected by the esteemed beacon of journalism, The Singapore Press Holding until after the ascent was completed. The President of Singapore as I understand was well aware of the duplicity as his office led the donation drive.

To make matters worse, they were also not the first Malaysian to summit.

I hope thelesson was learnt as the recrimination was swift, nasty and dragged on for months. Its will certainly grab a chapter in any history of Singapore on nationhood gone bad and a must in any journalism and communications course.

Karma then stepped in as well.

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal
The part where 56 kids representing the 56 minorities in China all turned out to be Han Chinese despite claiming all the while that they are ethnic kids representing their respective minority groups.<!-- / message -->

Don't read this in the news.

news blackout :confused:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Beijing Olympics: 'Ethnic' children exposed as fakes in opening ceremony

Another section of the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony has been exposed as faked - the children supposedly representing the country's 56 ethnic groups were in fact all from the same one, the majority Han Chinese race.

By Richard Spencer in Beijing
Last Updated: 11:04AM BST 15 Aug 2008

china-ethnic-olympi_790981c.jpg

The Chinese flag is carried by 56 children representing 56 ethnic groups within modern China Photo: EPA

china-ethnic-olympi_790987c.jpg

The Olympic opening ceremony presented to the world an image of the diversity and unity of the Chinese state Photo: EPA

The children accompanied the soldiers carrying in the national flag at the most solemn moment of the ceremony.

They were dressed in costumes associated with the country's ethnic minorities, including those from troubled areas such as Tibet and the muslim province of Xinjiang. Such displays of "national unity" are a compulsory part of any major state occasion.

But the children were all from the Han Chinese majority, which makes up more than 90 per cent of the population and is culturally and politically dominant, according to an official with the cultural troupe from which they were selected.

"I assume they think the kids were very natural looking and nice," Yuan Zhifeng, deputy director of the Galaxy Children's Art Troupe said.
The official guide to the opening ceremony said that the children did not just represent but "came from" China's ethnic groups.

"Fifty-six children from 56 Chinese ethnic groups cluster around the Chinese national flag, representing the 56 ethnic groups," it said.
This point was put to Wang Wei, executive vice-president of the Beijing organising committee at a press conference today.

"I think you are being very meticulous," he said. He said it was "traditional" to use dancers from other ethnic groups in this way.

"I would argue it is normal for dancers, performers, to be dressed in other races' clothes," he said. "I don't know exactly where these performers are from."

The initial triumph of the opening ceremony has already been clouded by revelations that the little girl who sand "Hymn to the Motherland", a patriotic Chinese anthem, was lip-synching to the pre-recorded voice of another girl who had been told she was not pretty enough to appear. The "footprint fireworks" shown on television were also pre-recorded and digitally enhanced.

The discovery that the children representing ethnic groups as diverse as Mongolians and members of the Li group from the south-western mountains were all in fact Han will hardly be noticed in China, where such practices are normal.

Nevertheless it is a sign of how sensitive ethnic relations in China are. At national Communist Party and state congresses, while the Han Chinese delegates all wear suits, carefully chosen members of ethnic minorities are told to wear traditional costume.

"Minority dances" are a regular part of state-sponsored entertainments, with performers coming from all over the country without having to belong to the relevant group.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't read this in the news.

news blackout :confused:
Here is something that I could not figure out. Why the Musical Director let the cat out of the bag with the lipsync issue and he was emotional. I thought his days were numbered until it was revealed that he is ex-chinese national and is now a French National. That answered the question straight away.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, the chinese fake everything? Hope their gold medals are not fake! :smile:

I still remember my neighbour has a metal factory that produce SEAP games medal made of copper than plate in Gold, Silver and Bronze in the early 60s ..so no surprise if the Olympic Gold are made of copper with 18k plating!!:biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I still remember my neighbour has a metal factory that produce SEAP games medal made of copper than plate in Gold, Silver and Bronze in the early 60s ..so no surprise if the Olympic Gold are made of copper with 18k plating!!:biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin:

olympic ones are real gold.