• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Could our bald-head man be the next IMF Manging Director?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.todayonline.com/world/could-singapores-tharman-be-imfs-next-chief

WASHINGTON — With Ms Christine Lagarde, the current leader of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), poised to become the next president of the European Central Bank, the big questions on Wednesday (July 3) were who would succeed her and whether the United States would break with tradition and try to install an American in the post.
On Tuesday, European officials nominated Ms Lagarde to succeed Mr Mario Draghi as the European Central Bank’s president. Ms Lagarde, a stabilising force who has lent star power to the monetary fund since taking over as its managing director in 2011, plans to step away from her responsibilities while the nomination process moves forward.
Among the names that have emerged on early shortlists are Singapore’s Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who was the chairman of the International Monetary and Financial Committee; Mr Agustín Carstens, a former deputy managing director of the monetary fund; and Mr Mohamed El-Erian, the former chief executive of Pimco.
The expected transition of power at the fund comes as the global economy slows and protectionism increases amid US President Donald Trump’s multifront trade war. The next director of the fund will have to confront economic woes in Argentina, Venezuela and Turkey, as well as take over the kind of multilateral institution that Mr Trump has long criticised as overstepping its authority.
ADVERTISEMENT

“The key challenge for the next IMF head is how to maintain the institution’s relevance, influence and legitimacy in a world where multilateralism is breaking down amid trade tensions and shifting geopolitical alliances,” said Mr Eswar Prasad, the former head of the monetary fund’s China division. “The IMF is the epitome of multilateralism in international finance, but it suffers from marginalisation by the key advanced economies, a pool of resources dwarfed by global capital flows, and lack of trust among emerging market economies.”
By tradition, the leader of the World Bank is an American, and a European heads the IMF. When the World Bank president position came open, Mr Trump tapped Mr David Malpass to run the institution. But there has been some speculation that Mr Trump might try to break with that long-standing practice with the fund.
Its 24-member executive board selects the managing director, and the appointments have always been decided by consensus. Ms Lagarde was chosen after a six-week selection process.
“I suspect the Europeans are scrambling as we speak to ensure that Europe retains that position,” said Mr Tim Adams, the president of the Institute of International Finance who was the Treasury Department’s undersecretary for international affairs during the George W. Bush administration.
Most expect that the monetary fund will stay under European leadership because there was little foreign resistance to Trump’s choice of Mr Malpass, a former Treasury Department official who had a long career on Wall Street.
Mr Mark Carney, the departing governor of the Bank of England, is also among those rumoured for the job. Mr Carney is a British citizen who was born in Canada. With Britain in the process of separating from the European Union, it is not clear if Mr Carney would satisfy desires for a European managing director. Mr Carney, who also has an Irish passport, could be nominated by another country, but his path to the job would still depend on some political wrangling.
“Then it comes down to, can the UK build an international coalition of support?” said Mr Vasuki Shastry, an associate fellow for the Asia-Pacific programme at Chatham House who worked at the monetary fund for 16 years until 2017. “The European vote is absolutely crucial. The Europeans have a higher voting share than the US”
The IMF monitors the global economy and financial system and provides loans to countries that are struggling to meet their debt obligations. Because it works so closely with emerging economies, there are sometimes suggestions that the fund’s director should come from outside the United States or Europe. However, because those countries tend to be more dependent on the fund, they are often reluctant to press the issue.
“While they can see that it makes no sense for every director to be European, nonetheless they recognise that to make a fuss about it is to invite revenge so they don’t,” said Mr Peter Doyle, an economist formerly at the fund.
Although the stature of international financial institutions has waned in recent years, Ms Lagarde’s tenure at the fund has widely been viewed as a success. She replaced Mr Dominique Strauss-Kahn, who resigned amid a sex scandal, improved the fund’s transparency and helped steer Europe through a debt crisis.
“This time around, they’re really building on Christine Lagarde’s reputation,” Mr Shastry said. “Someone of international stature, well known in the economics community.” THE NEW YORK TIMES

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The stars already said so! The PM position is his for the asking instead of Ah Heng if not for some internal politicking. But then he is destined for greater things. To be appointed the MD of the IMF is so much more prestigious.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since when an Asian and a sinkie at that got such change? Dun dream la. You want a vile pappy to get the limelight?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tharman would be out of a job soon a) Heng might not want him in is cabinet or rather, closet b) don't think he likes to be a MP only, even with a billion dollar pension. c) SMRT not his type of job.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If this happens in the middle of a term, Jurong GRC will have a by-election.

Unfortunately, it's a PAP stronghold in that part of Sinkieland. :wink:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stars already said so! The PM position is his for the asking instead of Ah Heng if not for some internal politicking. But then he is destined for greater things. To be appointed the MD of the IMF is so much more prestigious.
Dream on...just like Sg has a glass ceiling for minorities, internationally there is a glass ceiling for asians.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dream on...just like Sg has a glass ceiling for minorities, internationally there is a glass ceiling for asians.

This chao botak ah Neh is unlikely to replace an Ang Moh European for IMF chief.

IMF chief has always been a European.

WB an American.

WTF is a stinkieporean Ah Neh ?

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of people says that Tharman is very good at what he is doing and was a PM potential.

However, when I asked the same person to name any Tharman's contributions, they were dumbfounded. Being in politics for so long, of course you can answer most of the policies implemented because you have first hand knowledge in it. Able to construct a plan is totally different from implementing it.

So if you ask me if Tharman is potential to lead? My answer is no. Because I cannot find a justification for it. He survived so long in politics because he was a "YES" man.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of people says that Tharman is very good at what he is doing and was a PM potential.

However, when I asked the same person to name any Tharman's contributions, they were dumbfounded. Being in politics for so long, of course you can answer most of the policies implemented because you have first hand knowledge in it. Able to construct a plan is totally different from implementing it.

So if you ask me if Tharman is potential to lead? My answer is no. Because I cannot find a justification for it. He survived so long in politics because he was a "YES" man.
This could also be a way for pinky to get rid of the competition for the pap leadership spot as tartman is popular bcos he is 'nice'. Like the way OTC was gotten rid off by offering him the presidency so he won't b a focal point for anti pinky gang. If there are any

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He just sounds smart when he's speaking. I guess many Sinkies are easily convinced by superficialities. :biggrin:

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He just sounds smart when he's speaking. I guess many Sinkies are easily convinced by superficialities. :biggrin:

Indeed it is just perception that's he is good. He always speak slowly and carefully in order to win brainless Sinkies likings.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is this race and IQ too? :cautious:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I gather it will be that mohsmad guy. He is a regular guest speaker on bloomberg giving opinion on economic matters.