• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cost of Singapore Citizenship.

cockie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you really put a price on citizenship? A few years ago, I would have laughed at such a question. Maybe that’s because I view citizenship as one of the few possessions that you can’t put a price tag on. It’s like asking someone, “how much is your family name worth?” or “how much is your son worth?”

You can’t put a number on it because it’s not for sale.

Perhaps I feel that way about citizenship because like most of you, I’ve paid for it with years of hard military service. But guess what? Citizenship does have a price tag in many countries – including Singapore.

For Sale: Economic Citizenship

Many countries have “economic citizenship” programs that extend citizenship to foreigners who “invest” or “donate” a considerable sum to the nation – ranging from $130,000 to several million dollars. This is done by investing in property, government-approved funds, founding a new business that hires X number of citizens, locating your expanding company there, etc.

Of course, residency requirements for citizenship vary between nations. Some grant citizenship immediately after an application is approved, while others require a few years residency before they’re granted citizenship.

Donation, investment, expansion – semantics aside, here’s how much money must be paid to get economic citizenship:

1. Singapore – Price: $2,500,000

What else could I tell you about Singapore that you don’t already know? It’s a global technology and banking hub that’s already being called the “new” Switzerland by investors from around the world. It’s also seen as a prime location for many companies looking to establish a presence in Southeast Asia.
The fast track to Singapore citizenship lies through the Economic Development Board’s Global Investor Program. Through the program, you get instant PR status. And within 2 years you can apply for citizenship.

Benefits of Citizenship:

Tax Haven: There are no wealth taxes (capital gains, inheritance tax, etc.).
Visa-Free Travel: Travel to 167 countries worldwide.
Easier to Buy Property: Citizens notably have fewer restrictions to buying multiple properties in Singapore’s hot property market than PRs and foreigners do.
VERY Business Friendly Nation: Unlike other nations, you can start a business in only a few days in Singapore, leading many to call it the most business friendly nation in the world.
Lower Taxes: Taxes for high wealth individuals (20% flat tax) and companies (17% flat tax) are lower than most industrialized nations.

Waiting Time for Citizenship: After waiting up to 3 months for approval to join the Global Investor Program (and $2.5 million dollars), you’ll be awarded PR status. After two years of residency, you can then apply for citizenship.

Residency Requirement: Yes. Upon granting of your PR, you’ll be given a Re-Entry Permit that’s valid for 5 years so you can retain your PR. But you must either set up a business in Singapore with 5 Singaporean employees or you must reside in Singapore at least 6 months out of the year.

Military Service Requirement: No. PRs under the Global Investor Program are exempt from serving NS (what’s up with that?!).

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/think-singapore-citizenship-sacred-guess-160000979.html

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can you really put a price on citizenship? A few years ago, I would have laughed at such a question. Maybe that’s because I view citizenship as one of the few possessions that you can’t put a price tag on. It’s like asking someone, “how much is your family name worth?” or “how much is your son worth?”

You can’t put a number on it because it’s not for sale.

Perhaps I feel that way about citizenship because like most of you, I’ve paid for it with years of hard military service. But guess what? Citizenship does have a price tag in many countries – including Singapore.

The idea that notions of citizenship rights emerged from this spirit of each person identifying strongly with the nation of their birth arise only in the 20th century, when nationalism emerged.

To me, citizenship is an idea that is evolving.

Can't use Singapore as an example because it is only independent from 1963 or 1965, depending on who you believe.

For instance, in Australia, it is only in 1948 that the idea of of citizenship identified with the country is legislated. So, for overseas people who arrived before that year, they can obtain Australian citizenship automatically.

There are a lot of things that Singaporeans hold dear in their lives, but are no longer as valid.