• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cost of being unprepared for next pandemic will be too great: Ng Eng Hen

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...or-next-pandemic-will-be-too-great-ng-eng-hen

SINGAPORE - Plans must be in place for more coordinated efforts to deal with the next pandemic and other common challenges as the cost of getting caught unprepared again will be too great, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Wednesday (July 28).

Giving the keynote address at the 7th International Maritime Security Conference, he said that this was one key but obvious lesson that can be learnt from the Covid-19 pandemic so far, as countries have grown interdependent because of globalisation.

The disruption in logistics and supply lines brought home that interdependency vividly, he said. Early in the pandemic last year, trade in goods dropped faster than during the Great Depression or the global financial crisis.

For example, entire assembly lines had to be shut down in the South Korean auto industry because of a shortage of spare parts. Drug shortages were reported too, including life-supporting drugs needed to treat Covid-19 patients, he noted.

Maritime trade was impacted in many ways, with many commercial seafarers who were stranded at sea as ports would not let them in, he said.

The blockage of the Suez Canal in March this year - where 12 per cent of global trade passes through - compounded the problem, he said.

While there was no inherent malfeasance in those disruptions and they were not aimed at any particular country, "it exposed an existing vulnerability which can be exploited by those who would do us harm intentionally".

He added: "After watching the devastation and loss of lives due to Covid-19, now four million and rising, the cost of unpreparedness and dis-coordination will be too great.

"Whether it is from the next biologic pandemic or the dreaded Disease X which is more lethal, more infectious. And whether unintentionally or as a result of a bioweapon in the wrong hands."

The need for more coordinated efforts also apply for other natural disasters and threats related to climate change, he added.

He said that militaries can and must play a decisive role in this multilateral effort, such as in the areas of information sharing and having rules to prevent inadvertent conflict at sea and elsewhere.

They can also build confidence in peacetime and engage in practical ways to deepen trust and mutual understanding, including through the conference, he said.

The one-day conference, held in a hybrid format with the majority of participants from 28 countries attending virtually, is co-organised by the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies.

It was established in 2009, and brings together navy chiefs, policymakers, academics and maritime stakeholders to discuss ways to enhance and foster mutual security in the maritime domain, including those from China, Japan, France and Malaysia.

The Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday that all participants who attended the event physically had been fully vaccinated and abided by health and safety measures, in line with national guidelines.

One of the participants was US Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Michael Gilday, who gave a speech emphasising the importance of cooperation in allowing for prosperity from the sea. He is on an introductory visit to Singapore from Monday to Thursday.

Speaking to reporters in a virtual press conference, Admiral Gilday said that he looked forward to increasing the tempo of exercises with the RSN, adding that exercises with Singapore in the past few months have been "pretty robust".

"The US-Singapore partnership… is really the bedrock of America's military presence in South-east Asia, and an anchor for security in the broader Indo-Pacific," he said.

Asked if the US Navy plans to increase its deployment of littoral combat ships (LCS) to Singapore, he said there were no current plans to increase the numbers.

He said: "We have what we think right now is a solid operating model that meets our operational commitments.

"In the future, I would like to see more LCS operating in the Western Pacific, but we have not yet settled on what the basing model might be."

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
What is he talking about?

How can Singapore "be prepared"?

Rubbish lah. Singapore is at the mercy of global markets and trade.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The pandemic did not cause this upheaval. It was the irrational response to what is a relatively minor infection that was the issue.

The really smart guys just carried on with life.

Elon Musk Defies Lockdown Orders and Reopens Tesla's Factory​

The CEO sued a California county over the weekend and threatened to move the company to Texas—his latest tangle with government authorities.
A car on a robotic assembly line
Tesla makes Model 3 sedans and Model Y SUVs at its factory in Fremont, California. Photograph: Mason Trinca/The Washington Post/Getty Images

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-defies-lockdown-orders-reopens-tesla-factory/#

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has restarted the company’s California assembly plant, in defiance of local government orders, and offered to be arrested as part of an extraordinary showdown. He even told law enforcement where to find him.
Tesla is restarting production today against Alameda County rules,” Musk tweeted Monday afternoon. “I will be on the line with everyone else. If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me.”

Twitter content​

You must give consent to targeting tracking to see this content.
View on Twitter
The plant reopening caps days of very public tussling with public officials, including a lawsuit that aims to override local lockdown orders. At one point, Musk said he plans to move Tesla’s headquarters out of California.

Tesla filed the lawsuit against Alameda County, home to the factory, on Saturday in federal court in the Northern District of California. It alleges the county is violating the Fourteenth Amendment’s equal protection and due process clauses, and asks the court to give the company the ability to operate despite local orders. Musk also tweeted that he doesn’t believe county health officials have the authority to keep his factory closed. Before the court could rule, Musk on Monday took matters into his own hands.
California on Friday began to ease shelter-in-place restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic, but the Bay Area has maintained many of its restrictions. In a statement, Alameda County Public Health Department spokesperson Neetu Balram said the department was aware Tesla had restarted production, but that it hoped the company would comply with public health orders “without further enforcement measures.” Balram said Tesla was due to submit a site-specific plan to reopen on Monday.

Fremont’s police department is in charge of enforcing shelter-in-place orders. Spokesperson Geneva Bosques said the department is aware of reports that Tesla had reopened the factory, but added, “We are not at the factory.” Tesla did not respond to a request for comment.

Musk has been skeptical of the risks of Covid-19 and critical of California officials’ response. In March he tweeted that “coronavirus panic is dumb” and predicted that US cases would “negligible” by the end of April. (They were not.) On an earnings call with investors last month, he called state and local shelter-in-place orders “fascist.”

Some local officials, including Fremont mayor Lily Mei, appeared sympathetic to Musk. “The city encourages the county to engage with our local businesses to come up with acceptable guidelines for re-opening our local economy,” Mei wrote in a statement over the weekend.

Alameda County has reported 2,101 cases of Covid-19 and 71 deaths. But factory workers travel to the Fremont facility from as far away as Stockton, 60 miles away to the northeast, on a network of shuttle buses. Tesla on Saturday published a plan to reopen the factory safely, including procedures for increased cleaning and shift changes to maintain social distancing. But assembly work often places employees in close proximity. The reopening plan also asked workers to bring or make their own personal protective equipment if the company has not provided it to them, and to perform a “complete self-health check” before returning to work. The document said workers may be required to undergo temperature or symptom screenings.
More than 10,000 people work at the Tesla factory, and the company employs more than 20,000 people statewide. The carmaker’s corporate headquarters are in Palo Alto, which also falls under Bay Area pandemic guidelines.
California governor Gavin Newsom seemed surprised Monday when reporters informed him during a press conference that the carmaker had reopened. “My understanding is when I walked up to the podium today that wasn’t the case,” he said. Newsom said he is a Tesla supporter, and said he hoped the carmaker could reach an agreement to reopen early next week.
Indeed, the very public battle over the reopening of the Tesla factory appears to be over just a few days of operation. On Saturday, Alameda County supervisor Scott Haggerty told The New York Times that officials were negotiating to reopen the assembly plant on May 18. "I know Elon knew that,” Haggerty told the Times. “But he wanted it this week."

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Not surprised to know that. I don't like his arrogant and patronising demeanor.

I never once saw Ng Eng Hen smile when we was at SGH GS. Always grumpy and unhappy. I think there must have been politics. Maybe he and Prof Soo did not get along? I was too young to know then.

But it was a big shock when I saw he was running for politics and saw him smiling in photo shot for Straits Times! LOL!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I never once saw Ng Eng Hen smile when we was at SGH GS. Always grumpy and unhappy. I think there must have been politics. Maybe he and Prof Soo did not get along? I was too young to know then.

But it was a big shock when I saw he was running for politics and saw him smiling in photo shot for Straits Times! LOL!
The pap likes to get assholes to join them. And the bigger the asshole, the higher the position offered. I look at their smiling photos and each time I am thinking, Fuck you all lah, fake as fuck. :biggrin:

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal

He was a well known A hole in SGH and from very early in his career he was already a consummate politician. He knew who to stab and who to por to rise to the top. Legend has it when LHL was admitted in GH for lymphoma the Hen personally went to por LHL intensively. Why a breast surgeon is involved in lymphoma only god knows.

As minister for defence he was known to be abusive and talks down to regulars and telling them how useless they are. This part I totally agree :roflmao:

His wife Ivy now runs SingHealth. Nothing surprising as nepotism is rife here in Singapore. From what I heard from juniors still in service she is not well liked either. Thank goodness I am out of the system and no longer need to suffer under the hands of these fucking bureaucrats :FU:

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought we are already "better prepared" as said by Pinky....so now must be "betterer prepared"

PM Lee says Singapore 'better prepared' for another virus after SARS outbreak​

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Thursday (Jan 23 2020) that Singapore is "much better prepared" to deal with another virus outbreak since the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) epidemic in 2003.

“We have been preparing for this since SARS,” said Mr Lee, who was speaking at the sidelines of the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
He was a well known A hole in SGH and from very early in his career he was already a consummate politician. He knew who to stab and who to por to rise to the top. Legend has it when LHL was admitted in GH for lymphoma the Hen personally went to por LHL intensively. Why a breast surgeon is involved in lymphoma only god knows.

As minister for defence he was known to be abusive and talks down to regulars and telling them how useless they are. This part I totally agree :roflmao:

His wife Ivy now runs SingHealth. Nothing surprising as nepotism is rife here in Singapore. From what I heard from juniors still in service she is not well liked either. Thank goodness I am out of the system and no longer need to suffer under the hands of these fucking bureaucrats :FU:

From my personal interaction with Dr Ng i gather that he is the kind that cannot tahan having to pander to whims and fancies of patients.

Any intel how he was doing in pte sector before he entered politics?

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my personal interaction with Dr Ng i gather that he is the kind that cannot tahan having to pander to whims and fancies of patients.

Sold his practice to another breast surgeon for $1M after he became minister.

If for even 1 minute you think the Hen is concerned about the common man you are a moron. His algorithm is whether you are useful or useless to him. Simple dichotomy. And then act accordingly.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...or-next-pandemic-will-be-too-great-ng-eng-hen

SINGAPORE - Plans must be in place for more coordinated efforts to deal with the next pandemic and other common challenges as the cost of getting caught unprepared again will be too great, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Wednesday (July 28).

Giving the keynote address at the 7th International Maritime Security Conference, he said that this was one key but obvious lesson that can be learnt from the Covid-19 pandemic so far, as countries have grown interdependent because of globalisation.

The disruption in logistics and supply lines brought home that interdependency vividly, he said. Early in the pandemic last year, trade in goods dropped faster than during the Great Depression or the global financial crisis.

For example, entire assembly lines had to be shut down in the South Korean auto industry because of a shortage of spare parts. Drug shortages were reported too, including life-supporting drugs needed to treat Covid-19 patients, he noted.

Maritime trade was impacted in many ways, with many commercial seafarers who were stranded at sea as ports would not let them in, he said.

The blockage of the Suez Canal in March this year - where 12 per cent of global trade passes through - compounded the problem, he said.

While there was no inherent malfeasance in those disruptions and they were not aimed at any particular country, "it exposed an existing vulnerability which can be exploited by those who would do us harm intentionally".

He added: "After watching the devastation and loss of lives due to Covid-19, now four million and rising, the cost of unpreparedness and dis-coordination will be too great.

"Whether it is from the next biologic pandemic or the dreaded Disease X which is more lethal, more infectious. And whether unintentionally or as a result of a bioweapon in the wrong hands."

The need for more coordinated efforts also apply for other natural disasters and threats related to climate change, he added.

He said that militaries can and must play a decisive role in this multilateral effort, such as in the areas of information sharing and having rules to prevent inadvertent conflict at sea and elsewhere.

They can also build confidence in peacetime and engage in practical ways to deepen trust and mutual understanding, including through the conference, he said.

The one-day conference, held in a hybrid format with the majority of participants from 28 countries attending virtually, is co-organised by the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) and the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies.

It was established in 2009, and brings together navy chiefs, policymakers, academics and maritime stakeholders to discuss ways to enhance and foster mutual security in the maritime domain, including those from China, Japan, France and Malaysia.

The Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday that all participants who attended the event physically had been fully vaccinated and abided by health and safety measures, in line with national guidelines.

One of the participants was US Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Michael Gilday, who gave a speech emphasising the importance of cooperation in allowing for prosperity from the sea. He is on an introductory visit to Singapore from Monday to Thursday.

Speaking to reporters in a virtual press conference, Admiral Gilday said that he looked forward to increasing the tempo of exercises with the RSN, adding that exercises with Singapore in the past few months have been "pretty robust".

"The US-Singapore partnership… is really the bedrock of America's military presence in South-east Asia, and an anchor for security in the broader Indo-Pacific," he said.

Asked if the US Navy plans to increase its deployment of littoral combat ships (LCS) to Singapore, he said there were no current plans to increase the numbers.

He said: "We have what we think right now is a solid operating model that meets our operational commitments.

"In the future, I would like to see more LCS operating in the Western Pacific, but we have not yet settled on what the basing model might be."
And all the while i tot S'pore is not prepared for this epidemic magnitude.
Why? Cos it not in 10 years series

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Being prepared means always ready to let in all and sundry with priority given to countries where Temasek wants to "invest"-last few years its CECA

IhatePAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please. Stop taking monies from reserves to help cronies "prepare".....
real help not seen, monies all go to cronies.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always see bargain hen bearing a strong resemblance to old fart. Am I opening a Pandora's box here ? :sneaky:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

How did he knows what is the next pandemic will be, and at what costs?

Could be next one is free, zero cost?

Shit, this is LKY scam of setting up to pay his son $M PM salary, and himself too.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
ARE we prepared to pay the cost of allowing the free movement of covid-19 infected Indians from India to Red Dot via Changi at the expense of the health and lives of singaporeans ?
ARE we prepared to pay the cost of colossal number of covid-19 infected Indians in Red Dot ?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
What NEH said is eminently stupid. It is almost impossible to prepare the whole world for the next pandemic. The 3rd world countries will definitely be left behind and the rich will never want to give the poor any help.

You can prepare Singapore but your neighbours and trading partners cannot then all you effort is useless. You will still be locked down.

NEH is a doctor but he refuses to be in the task force. Taichi king and then run his mouth about things in the future. If you can, you do, otherwise shut up.