• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Coronavirus concerns way overblown

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
March 2, 2020
“We have to wash our hands, not our brains.”
– Adoni
________

Robert W. Felix

When I first heard about the coronavirus, Covid-19, and learned that Chinese authorities had locked down the entire city of Wuhan, a city of 11 million people, I thought things must be pretty desperate.

However, even though I don’t trust the numbers coming out of the Chinese Communist government, comments from some of my readers have helped put the whole thing in perspective for me.

One of the first such comments came from Northern Ireland:

“Don’t Panic!” advised reader James McC… “I live in a province with a population of 1,880,000. China has a population of 1,440,000,000. So there are about 750 Chinese (in China) for every person in Northern Ireland.”

“There have been 2,800 deaths in China from covid-19; that would correspond to 4 deaths in Northern Ireland. In the ‘flu’ season which is just winding down, we had 10 deaths from ‘flu,’ a bit less than average. The local media did not go ape, or even mention it. After all, there are about 300 deaths from all causes per week in Northern Ireland, par for the course in the western world.”

“It’s worth noting that about 300 people die every week from all causes in N.I. ( this surprises some folk, other than funeral undertakers and doctors) – so since this epidemic has been running for roughly 8 weeks, we would have had about 2,400 dead from all causes in that period, with average of one a fortnight from covid-19. Big deal.”

Looking at the numbers that way cut the problem down to size for me.

Another reader, Ross, wrote: “What a BS. No vaccine has been invented yet, but 45 000 people recovered. Last year about 27,000 people died from flu in the European Union and nobody panicked. Here 3,000 people died worldwide and people are going crazy. Check how many people died just from cancer last year and compare that number with corona BS numbers.”

“I get the feeling that there are three big issues with this virus,” writes Adoni.

“First, most people haven’t developed any immunity to it, so there are lots of human vectors. Second, people are contagious before they are symptomatic. Third, it easily develops into pneumonia in anyone with weakened lungs. The last is why it’s been so devastating in China and now South Korea. The air pollution in those countries has weakened the lungs of many people.”

“If you include every single known or estimated case of flu in the world then sure you can bring the death rate down to 0.1%. But if you more properly compare hospitalised flu cases with the hospitalised COVID-19 cases, the regular flu actually has a much higher mortality rate. 5.6% (in the US) compared with 1-3%.
In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.

“Every year in China die of pneumonia over 180 000. Why this panic? To prevent infections we have to wash our hands not our brains.”

Or here’s Gregory F. Fegel’s take on it:

Fegel says, “2,869 deaths and 36, 872 recovered from coronavirus equals 39,741 cases. 39,741 cases divided by 2,869 deaths equals a death rate of 7.2% from coronavirus. The WHO reports that each year influenza causes 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths. That’s a death rate of between 9.6 and 13% from severe cases of influenza.

The “severe cases” of influenza are probably the people who sought medical treatment, while a larger number of people who had mild cases that went unreported are difficult to estimate. The same could be true of coronavirus — have there been mild cases of coronavirus that people did not report? Some people with mild cases of coronavirus may have chosen to decline treatment and remain silent to avoid being quarantined. We’ll probably never know.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. … The [coronavirus] seems to have a 3 percent mortality rate. However, this could be an overestimate since there may be a far larger pool of people who have been infected by the virus but who have not suffered severe enough symptoms to attend hospital and so have not been counted in the data.” — Global Research, February 22, 2020.

And here’s from reader John the 1st:

The CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through February 15, 2020, there have been:

1. 29,000,000 – 41,000,000 flu illnesses
2. 13,000,000 – 19,000,000 flu medical visits
3. 280,000 – 500,000 flu hospitalizations
4. 16,000 – 41,000 flu deaths

…and somehow we manage to go on with our daily lives.

Now, I don’t pretend to be a doctor, but I am convinced that coronavirus concerns are way overblown – medically at least.

As for the economy, well that’s a different story. I see the media whipping people into a frenzy over this, so I am worried about our economy. I’m hoping that cooler heads prevail.

And I am beginning to see evidence of that, because even China, where by far the most covid-19 cases have been reported, appears to be recovering.
According to a reader who goes by the moniker Realist,

“only Wuhan is now isolated, China’s industry is almost 95% back to work, and only schools are still shut.”

I don’t have a link that backs up that 95% number, but given that Starbucks has reopened most of its China stores, I think Realist is correct; I think we’re already looking at early signs of recovery. One piece of evidence for which I can provide a link, is that Starbucks said on Thursday that 85 percent of its China stores are now open.
So there you go. For what it’s worth, that’s my opinion. I think coronavirus concerns are way overblown.

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal
it just shows that ADMIN of this forum is a BIG NAIVE NOOB.

Normal Flu comparing with Coronavirus ? LOL ! Go google it the main differences/consequences. RATHER copy and paste the stupid article :wink:

But the way, its confirmed by some doctors that some patients even after they recovered, their LUNGS function drops about 20% - 30%.

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
damn stupid report, anyone really believe only 2800 deaths? the real number could be a hundred times that

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Quote " COVID-19 is a disease caused by a CORONAVIRUS called SAR-CoV-2, which is related to the virus that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) but is not as deadly, with the fatality rate standing at around three percent" unquote

Coronavirus existed in animals, cats & dogs carry them, but they do not spread them to humans.

The UN should call for an emergency meeting, compelling the PRC government to contribute to a fund for the world, for they were the ones that opened the 'pandora box'. Had this not happened during the LNY rush & the annual mass movement of people. The virus spread would have just be contained within the PRC borders the most, with some leaking out. Many Chinese ( the richer ones, you bet) fled China before the Wuhan lockdown. These are the ones that carried the virus round the world; even to Singapore. Now we have Indonesians with the virus, coming here to check themselves into our hospitals, for they know, quite sure, they check in those back home, they can't go home,. That is why, Spore have now change the rules...that , any foreigners have to pay.

The world should hold China (PRC) accountable for the virus spread, this is the second CORONAVIRUS, they have spread to the world. The recent one, MERS-coV is another coronavirus from the middle east ( bats).

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Italy could offer the real picture, over 15k cases , over 1k deaths, so death rate is nearly 7 %. not the CCP 2 %

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Italy could offer the real picture, over 15k cases , over 1k deaths, so death rate is nearly 7 %. not the CCP 2 %

One Chinaman long time back, remarked to me, any disaster statistics from PRC, say for example, they says 10 persons died, you can multiply that by 100, or even 1000 times, he said.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
it just shows that ADMIN of this forum is a BIG NAIVE NOOB.

Normal Flu comparing with Coronavirus ? LOL ! Go google it the main differences/consequences. RATHER copy and paste the stupid article :wink:

But the way, its confirmed by some doctors that some patients even after they recovered, their LUNGS function drops about 20% - 30%.

The main difference is that in many cases flu has been a lot worse. This was especially so during the swine flu pandemic in 2009/2010.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The main difference is that in many cases flu has been a lot worse. This was especially so during the swine flu pandemic in 2009/2010.

Nipah virus, comes to mind, from fruit bats, affects mostly the toddy drinkers & Australia had a spread of this, some years back. The panic now is there are no off the shelf medicine or vaccine or some medical treatment for this virus. I am just wondering are they giving the Coronavirus vaccines for dogs & cats to treat the COVID19 cases? If you purchase a pet...you will noticed that, they are vaccinated against the coronavirus.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nipah virus, comes to mind, from fruit bats, affects mostly the toddy drinkers & Australia had a spread of this, some years back. The panis now is there are no off the shelf medicine or vaccine or some medical treatment for this virus. I am just wondering are they giving the Coronavirus vaccines for dogs & cats to treat the COVID19 cases? If you purchase a pet...you will noticed that, they are vaccinated against the coronavirus.
nipah was a killer...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can't believe i actually posted this way back on nov-14. my intell and sources are prescient and superb! the "plague" ended up being the coronavirus covid-19.

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/br...-collapse-of-china.276238/page-2#post-3002057

post #28 of thread....
a very infectious form of plague has just hit prc. don’t know how patients are quarantined, but there’s widespread panic now in beijing. prc really brings deadly diseases to the planet. may just wipe out 69% of their population first.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
you're right sam, covid19 takes out the old folks and spare the young.
But guess which age group gets to make decisions in countries around the world?