• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Constance Wu says she attempted suicide after Twitter backlash in 2019. She KYM for Samsters?

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Constance Wu in 2022

Film

Constance Wu says she attempted suicide after Twitter backlash in 2019​

In her first post in nearly three years, the Hustlers actor said she tried to kill herself after a negative response to tweets she had sent
Adrian Horton
@adrian_horton
Thu 14 Jul 2022 21.33 BST

Constance Wu has said that she attempted suicide after backlash to a series of “careless” tweets in 2019.

In a statement marking her first return to Twitter in nearly three years, the Hustlers actor announced her upcoming book, Making a Scene, and explained that she was “afraid of coming back on social media because I almost lost my life from it: 3 years ago, when I made careless tweets about the renewal of my TV show, it ignited outrage and internet shaming that got pretty severe.”

At the time, Wu reacted in frustration to ABC’s renewal of the sitcom Fresh Off the Boat, in which she starred. She tweeted: “So upset right now that I’m literally crying. Ugh. Fuck” and “Fucking hell.” When another user congratulated her, calling the renewal “great news”, Wu replied, “No it’s not.”

Wu later clarified that her comments were posted during a “rough day” and that her disappointment was due to having to pull out of a passion project. She added in a statement that her role on Fresh Off the Boat had become “easy and pleasant” and she was looking for new challenges.

“I felt awful about what I’d said,” Wu wrote in Thursday’s statement, “and when a few DMs from a fellow Asian actress told me I’d become a blight on the Asian American community, I started feeling like I didn’t even deserve to live anymore. That I was a disgrace to AsAms, and they’d be better off without me. Looking back, it’s surreal that a few DMs convinced me to end my own life, but that’s what happened. Luckily, a friend found me and rushed me to the ER.”

“It was a scary moment that made me reassess a lot in my life,” Wu said of her suicide attempt. “For the next few years, I put my career aside to focus on my mental health.”

After a handful of small or voice roles, Wu recently starred with Chris Pratt in the Amazon action series The Terminal List and will next be seen on the big screen in the kids adventure Lyle Lyle Crocodile.
“AsAms don’t talk about mental health enough,” she wrote. While we’re quick to celebrate representation wins, there’s a lot of avoidance around the more uncomfortable issues within our community. Even my tweets became a subject so touchy that most of my AsAm colleagues decided that was the time to avoid me or ice me out. I’ll admit it hurt a lot, but it also made me realize how important it is to reach out and care for people who are going through a hard time.”

Wu concluded her statement that after “a little break from Hollywood and a lot of therapy,” she felt “OK enough” to venture back on to social media. “And even though I’m scared, I’ve decided that I owe it to the me-of-3-years-ago to be brave and share my story so that it might help someone with theirs.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/1...r-backlash-2019

user posted image

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got job, got high pay, got fame n fortune n want to kill herself. She can jolly we'll go ahead. This is just nothing but a fuckein attention seeker.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Attempted... evidently that was a poor attempt otherwise this interview would not have happened. Please try again.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why go on twitter in the first place? Nobody needs to air their views on twitter. It's not an obligation in life.