• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Congratulations Tony Tan - 32.7% President Elect

jeesus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Out of 2274773 eligible voters, 744397 turned up to cast their votes decisively in your favour. This shows that 32.7% of the nation wants you as President, decisively.

Congratulations! The win is indeed decisive.

P/S: Did Guiness World of Records just entered a new entry?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stasitically confirmed worst performing president in the world.

It is the result that counts, getting more votes then the next candidates is the objective, not the overall proportion of votes.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: President-elect Tony Tan said the election result has been decisive and he would use the mandate given to meet the expectations of all Singaporeans.

Dr Tan added he would continue to work hard to reach out to all Singaporeans via various platforms such as social media.

Dr Tan was speaking at his first news conference held on Sunday afternoon, after being elected Singapore's seventh President.

"The most immediate, urgent thing now... which I should do is to try to reach out to all Singaporeans to emphasise the fact that the president works for all citizens, not for people who are affiliated to any particular party," Dr Tan said.

"The most important, in my view, is to ensure constant vigilance to fulfil the president's custodial powers.

"I have much experience in this field. There's still a learning curve but I think it'll be short and not too steep."

On whether the voting pattern reflects a deep division in Singapore's society, Dr Tan said the country must recognise that Singaporeans are more vocal today.

"We should have a diversity of views in Singapore. It enriches our society. It makes Singapore more vibrant," Dr Tan said.

"Admittedly, it may make the process of governing more difficult because there's more 'noise'. There could be a little confusion from time to time, decision-making may be slower but that's a maturing of our democracy, civil society and our politics in Singapore, and it's a development which I welcome."

Meanwhile, Dr Tan thanked his wife, Mary Chee, for her support.

Dr Tan described his wife whom he met as a university undergrad as "the love of my life" and who has been "a pillar of support".

"Without her standing with me I would not have been able to serve Singapore," Dr Tan said.

As to her role when asked by a journalist, Dr Tan said: "She always has a deep concern for people in need... Particularly the elderly citizens. I'm sure she will fulfil her role as First Lady in her own right."

Dr Tan won 35.2 per cent of the valid votes in the Presidential Election held on Saturday.

-CNA/wk

KNN what mandate only 35% vote for him. If included spoil vote only 32%.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
First Lady is crap tradition, should be abolished. What if the president elected is a lady as has happened in other countries. There's no First Gentleman for her husband. What if the president elected is single, divorced or widower? Palatial match-making tea session for suitresses? It's a meaningless, feudal and futile tradition and position based on the assumption of all potential monarchs are men who has lined up good reserve lists of potential queens to choose from and must have queens to bear children to ensure their dynastic lineage.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
First Lady is crap tradition, should be abolished. What if the president elected is a lady as has happened in other countries. There's no First Gentleman for her husband. What if the president elected is single, divorced or widower? Palatial match-making tea session for suitresses? It's a meaningless, feudal and futile tradition and position based on the assumption of all potential monarchs are men who has lined up good reserve lists of potential queens to choose from and must have queens to bear children to ensure their dynastic lineage.

You want First Gentlemen? We already have pinky and his man-date.