• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Common Sense whilst travelling abroad

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Used to outstation in some bao tao countries while I was working for an American ex-company. They got security consultants to brief the staffs who are travelling to these places. One of the advice is to remove all frequent flyer tags on all luggage and bags. Refrain from displaying any items in public that are 'American', example, Marlboro ciggies. Some ex-colleagues who worked in high risk countries were even issue thobes and headdress.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Staying on the 2nd level will solve this problem. Worst case scenario, JUMP!

2nd floor jump down is one leg or two leg. No need to complicate things. Just prepare a smoke mask :biggrin:

1. I always carry an emergency bag when I travel. Flashlight, electronic whistle, door/window alarm, smoke mask.

2. Ensure no blockage at staircase and staircase door on the first floor is not locked.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh, one last thing. For those who travel for work/business purpose, make sure the company cover you enough with a reputable insurance company. The good insurance companies will have a list of local emergency contact numbers should you get into trouble. This is something you won't want to use it but can be real helpful when you need it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Car Rentals

1. Even if it kills you, always get a car from a recognised car rental agency. People seldom share horror stories involving cowboy operators. It damages are very high and the entire adventure / holiday is shelved to the deep recesses of the mind.

2. Beware of special clauses such as leaving the city limits, bitumen paved roads and sand dunes.

3. This is one where Singaporeans struggle to relate.. A 4 wheel drive is not your usual car. It carries extra special condition. One well known clause is that all coverage is cancelled when it turns turtle or overturns. This is usually written in bold on the top.

4. Here is the bonus. Reputable car rental agencies operate a huge range of vehicles. Your opportunity to be upgraded is good when the vehicle type that you booked is not available. Reputable firms also renew their fleet frequently and the chances of driving a new of relatively new car is also high. Smells nice, no breakdowns etc.

5. Lastly remove cookies from your PC when you finally book. Cookie clearing by the way should be done for all online purchase to get the best price.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No Lah. Walk in spandex with your lanjiap erect. Hold a fan of 500 EU dollar bills and wear diamond studded gold jewellery all over that writes big fuck. Shaft both men and women as a form of greeting. You will do fine.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lots of good advice here but most of all, learn to enjoy yourself, be relaxed & not be a kancheong spider jumping at everything like they're going to hantum you. With 30yrs of travelling, i can tell you that there's probably no other nationality & passport that is bestest than Singapore. Singapore guys who served NS & with that kia si kia su attitude, you're more than prepared for any eventualities & hardly in trouble compared to other nationalities. If you turn up at your destination looking nervous, you're more prone to being target by security, crooks & everyone. If you don't draw attention to yourself, no one will even remember you. Just do some research before your trip & remember, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. If you pack your suitcase like going for jungle training or field exercise, custom see already sure ask a lot of questions.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hold a fan of 500 EU dollar bills..

If you travel with a wad of 500euro bills, i can 100% guarantee you this, that you'll be pulled over & questioned by immigration, customs, security & most of all, the narcotics squad. Your name will be checked with Interpol & a call will be made to Singapore embassy or consulate to check if you are a "person of interest".

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm sure our comrade Ramseth would have a lot to say here in this thread. Really miss this guy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, he would share his experiences also the part about meeting women along the way. I still recall his SF journey, the woman, his tram ride and all the info.

I'm sure our comrade Ramseth would have a lot to say here in this thread. Really miss this guy.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't underestimate the forces of nature. Living in Singapore means you haven't seen anything yet. Ignorance and inadequate preparation can kill.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would usually do a research on the countries, i am visiting which is easy to come by nowaday's in cyberspace, local custom, place's of interest, getting around on local transport and foods.

I do book my hotels in advance using verene.com if not calling the hotel directly and you would be amaze the discount they will give you, i do sometime on the spur of the moment get a hotel along the way when i am driving, meeting the locals way out of the usual toursit haunt which i find wothwhile, even though it is like duck and chicken talk so sign language does work plus you have a road map.

plan ahead place's where you want to visit, travelling distance, give yourself sufficent time to drive from point A to point B.

For currency the usual credit cards and cash, but i do buy traveller cheques, and don't put all of them in the same wallet, remember to write down your credit cards service # and traveller cheques # too just in case, you never know what might happen, do inform your credit cards and bank that you are travelling and to which countries.

You can also book a taxi in advance to take you to place of interest through internet, payment are make when you have finish your tour, i haven't had any problem with it so far, they charge a reasonable rate, or if you prefer you can do it yourself by taking the local bus or train, just need to find out the train schedule and cost.

I prefer way out of the usual tourists trap if it can be help, and last don't forget your internationals lic if you want to be free and easy to drive to where you want.

Happy travelling to all........:smile:

Last edited: