• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CNA's programme: confusion, evasion and exasperation on haze issues

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the haze issue so current and so personal up close, everyone is feeling it and affected by it, I thought it would be good to listen to the CNA programme last evening. Martin, the host, had three other guests, a medical doctor, the deputy CEO of NEA and a social activist. The programme went on quite well with many interested callers as if one hour was just too short.

By the time the hour was up, I could summarise the programme with three words, confusion, evasion and exasperation. If anyone got the chance to review the programme in the net, you will know what I mean. So many things were said and so many questions were asked, but everything was evasion, confusion and the audience got away so exasperated and frustrated. But not all was lost as there were some very valuable points raised that were enlightening but also confusing at the same time. Only on a couple of questions that a simple answer expected were granted.

I will try to summarise a few of the salient points that I could still recall.

1. Buying of a N95 mask. Many people out there would have believed that getting hold of a N95 mask would solve all their problems and fears. Far from it. Buying a N95 mask is the beginning of their troubles. The first problem is how to wear it properly, which many assumed was natural and easy. Then there are questions of when to use it, how often and how long it can last. More confusions. And the myth provided in the media that the mask is reusable is not exactly right.

2. The manufacturer was quoted to say that the mask can be used for up to 8 hours. What does that mean? It depends on the condition of the PSI and how long is the mask exposed to different PSI level. Anyone wiser?

3. As to when to wear, the mother of all answers is to refer to the NEA website and the official advisory. Now what is that? Ah Peh and Ah Ma dunno leh. So for those ‘boh tak cheh’, not computer literate, so how? Dunno leh. Can Mediacorp put it up for easy reference by the laypeople or not? This must be important right? No one ask, but just accept that you want to know you better know how to get to the NEA website.

4. And to my horror, wearing the mask can be a dangerous thing. Pregnant women better seek medical advice before wearing one or risk harming the foetus. Wearing the mask could also lead to more forceful breathing that may end up more harm than good. And for the kiasu and kiasi, please don’t wear the mask for too long or wear it when sleeping.

5. Forceful breathing is also related to the advice by some to use wet towels. The doctor said wet towel only remove more of the bigger particles. The PM 2.5 could end with greater numbers in the body when one breathes heavily through a wet towel.

6. And what is this, buying poor quality imitation mask thinking it is safe and walking around with it and endangering oneself. How to solve this problem?

7. PSI. This is the next most confusing item other than PM 2.5. Forget about the numbers as they don’t mean a thing to the laypeople. But the terms, very unhealthy and hazardous should mean something right? So everyone thinks so. Now what does very unhealthy mean to you? What can you do and not do? Or what is the meaning of hazardous? Hide under the bed, or go to work as per normal, just take it easy, don’t rush, don’t run, don’t exercise? If that is the case why is it called hazardous? How hazardous is hazardous? You know meh?

8. Now the tricky part. PSI 300 is very unhealthy or hazardous? Some reports said only above PSI 400 is hazardous. But then not really leh. Is exposure to PSI 400 for 10 min or 20 min not hazardous, …never mind. So exposed to how long then will ‘not be never mind’? Oh, like that you cannot use the 3 hour PSI. The very unhealthy and hazardous tags are meant for 24 hour PSI. Why like that one? KNN, how are the laypeople to know? Why put up something that no one knows?

9. Never mind, never mind. Samulah. Would 3 hours of continuous PSI 400 be hazardous, if you know what this word mean? Or would 3 hours of PSI 600 be hazardous or more hazardous than a 24 hour PSI 400? Which one is more serious, one hour exposure to a 3 hr PSI 600 or one hour exposure to a 24 hr PSI 400? Really catch no balls.

10. For all the laypeople listening to the programme, do they really understand what the panel was talking about? I am sure they would want a few simple answers as a guide to their daily activities. I think it will be very helpful if an answer like when 3 hr PSI is 400, this is what it means and what the people should avoid doing. Or when the 24 hr PSI is 400, can’t imagine that happening with a constant 400 average over 24 hours. I would imagine an emergency will be declared and everyone be told to stay inside the bomb shelters and wear their N95s at the same time.

11. And, this one the GPs will all be very happy to know. When experiencing any difficulties or not sure, go and check with the GPs. You think seeing a GP is for free ah?

12. One interesting point for smokers. When the haze is dense outside, and when all the doors and windows are closed, please do not smoke inside the house. Not even when the aircon is on. I think no need to explain why for this. And watch what you are cooking if they add to air pollution inside a closed home.

I must say many things were spoken, many questions asked, many were ‘elar’ or the answers were evasive. And if not sure, refer to NEA website or refer to the 24 hr PSI. What if a person wants to go out to do something and the eyes say don’t go? Refer to the 24 hr PSI. What nonsense!

It would be good that a little time should be allotted for the panel host to summarise a few key points in simple forms for the listeners so that at least they can pick up a few pointers of the do’s and don’ts and not the maybe like this, maybe like that, or it depends on this or that or how long or how high the PSI.

Damn confusing and damn ‘pek chek’ when the programme came to a close. If I can feel jialat, dunno about all the aunties and uncles.

http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/...ign=Feed:+MySingaporeNews+(My+Singapore+News)

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
A gas mask would work better, last longer and look much more intimidating then a stupid N95 mask.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why only worry about only the haze:confused:
We are already drinking recycled water that no one else in the world is doing. We are expected to take the word of the PAP that it is safe.

Many people are living on land which is recycled garbage. There's also plenty of car pollution. Dengue, haze, SARs,.... are attention getters but we shouldn't forget about the other unhealthy aspects of living in Spore.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you still in Singapore then?

We are already drinking recycled water that no one else in the world is doing. We are expected to take the word of the PAP that it is safe.

Many people are living on land which is recycled garbage. There's also plenty of car pollution. Dengue, haze, SARs,.... are attention getters but we shouldn't forget about the other unhealthy aspects of living in Spore.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The haze and dengue crisis reveal a couple of things.

After so many years of indoctrination, sinkies are used to looking up to gahmen for instructions even when there are many facts of smog and air pollution are available online for free. That's why Pap will stay in power for the next 20 years.

Ministers and ministries have now become target boards for any controllable or non controllable events. Serves them right for being arrogant and paying themselves so much.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

After so many years of indoctrination, sinkies are used to looking up to gahmen for instructions even when there are many facts of smog and air pollution are available online for free. That's why Pap will stay in power for the next 20 years.

Ministers and ministries have now become target boards for any controllable or non controllable events. Serves them right for being arrogant and paying themselves so much.

Sinkies are lazy too. You always find people in forums like this who are too lazy to go through the threads to find the answers to their questions. Instead they will ask you to spoon feed them or direct them to the exact posts.

Ministers and ministries have been the targets for donkey years. Its the internet forums and blogs that are bringing all these to light.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why you still in Singapore then?

I often travel but have to be around for some aged family members.

Actually thinking about buying a place outside Spore so that I can park some of my barang, barang for a more semi permanent stay.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your aged family members won't survive long with the list of unhealthy things that is in Singapore.

Actually thinking about buying a place outside Spore so that I can park some of my barang, barang for a more semi permanent stay.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm sure many of those who can afford to get a place outside Sillypore will not hesitate.
Sillypore has became a very expensive place for retirement and or even to live by each day.
Most of us who only draw a constant salary will ended up being asset rich on paper but cash poor in reality.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your aged family members won't survive long with the list of unhealthy things that is in Singapore.

They grew up at a time where natural foods was the norm. Those that survived didn't over indulge.
Just look around today & many of the young don't seem to be healthy. I see many young with grey hair, thinning hair, .... plenty of obesity. Seems to alot of deaths during NS from heat exhaustion.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm sure many of those who can afford to get a place outside Sillypore will not hesitate.
Sillypore has became a very expensive place for retirement and or even to live by each day.
Most of us who only draw a constant salary will ended up being asset rich on paper but cash poor in reality.

Things are definitely expensive. Fortunately my home is paid off & I don't have an expensive car to maintain. The greatest cost for me is the the monthly utilities.
One has to worry about the current & future generations. It's not easy to find & keep a decent paying job in Spore.

I'm looking around & I think I'll get a place in Thailand or Malaysia. Too many problems in Spore: haze, dengue, careless cyclists/drivers, corruption which is contributing to the increase costs. Maybe things will improve once the 60% wake up & start to demand real change.

The advantage of having $$$ is that more options are open:smile:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Things are definitely expensive. Fortunately my home is paid off & I don't have an expensive car to maintain. The greatest cost for me is the the monthly utilities.
One has to worry about the current & future generations. It's not easy to find & keep a decent paying job in Spore.

I'm looking around & I think I'll get a place in Thailand or Malaysia. Too many problems in Spore: haze, dengue, careless cyclists/drivers, corruption which is contributing to the increase costs. Maybe things will improve once the 60% wake up & start to demand real change.

The advantage of having $$$ is that more options are open:smile:

Do you make trips to Thailand frequently?
Maybe you can PM me to discuss further as I'm also considering Thailand as a place for retirement.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thailand is good if u don't have to return always.
If not then JB but make sure you buy house on higher ground / land. Next 5~10 yrs flood and water level will increase heaps. :wink:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand is good if u don't have to return always.
If not then JB but make sure you buy house on higher ground / land. Next 5~10 yrs flood and water level will increase heaps. :wink:

JB is near but I'm not so comfortable with Mat countries.
Thailand at least I feel more at ease.

jw5

Loyal

Go fuck yourself with your big shit talk.
And if you don't support opposition for now, that's exactly what you and your idiotic parents will be getting, another 100 years of pap rule.
For all your rhetoric, you are no different from someone like Ong Ye Kung, father and all.
Except that he managed to get a government scholarship and you couldn't even make it to the local university.
So don't talk like people are below you here, you motherfucker.
And one more thing, how people want to post and what they post is none of your fucking business.
If you want to talk in a high handed manner like the elites, go to Dubai and form your own club.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JB is near but I'm not so comfortable with Mat countries.
Thailand at least I feel more at ease.

I think JB is too close to Spore. What will happen in Spore is likely to affect JB e.g. SARs

In places like Pattaya you can rent a pretty nice condo at reasonable prices. The place also has the infrastructure that I am looking for
However I still have to look at the northern parts of LOS e.g. Changmai

The thing I dislike about LOS is that you have to pay if you leave the country for a re-entry permit. I'm waiting for 2015 when the ASEAN FTA takes effect. Then it will be easier for ASEAN members to move about in ASEAN.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Worse of all, we have a bunch of lunatics and self serving greedy maggots and cockroaches in charge of our lives and controlling everything and screwing and fucking us of billions of our money into their own banks and accounts

VOTE THEM ALL OUT IN 2016

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go fuck yourself with your big shit talk.
And if you don't support opposition for now, that's exactly what you and your idiotic parents will be getting, another 100 years of pap rule.
For all your rhetoric, you are no different from someone like Ong Ye Kung, father and all.
Except that he managed to get a government scholarship and you couldn't even make it to the local university.
So don't talk like people are below you here, you motherfucker.
And one more thing, how people want to post and what they post is none of your fucking business.
If you want to talk in a high handed manner like the elites, go to Dubai and form your own club.

What?

No mention about my cheating wife and retarded children???

jw5

Loyal
What?

No mention about my cheating wife and retarded children???

When your children are born retarded, you will bawl your eyes out.

These were the words you used bitch.
If you are an advocate of the "anything goes" principle" in an online forum where you presume you are annonymous, the principle should also apply to you.