• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee released from prison

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
kh_screengrab.png

SINGAPORE — City Harvest Church (CHC) founder Kong Hee apologised to church members and thanked them for standing by him on Saturday (Aug 24) in his first public appearance since being released from jail, telling his supporters to “allow me some time to readjust back to a normal life again”.

He was released from Changi Prison on Thursday (Aug 22), where he had been held since he began his jail term on April 21, 2017. He and five others were found guilty of misappropriating about S$50 million of church funds.

On Saturday he took to the stage during the evening church service at the Suntec City Convention and Exhibition Hall, where CHC regularly holds its weekend sermons. Before he came onstage, another church pastor told the crowd to hold their applause.

Said Pastor Bobby Chaw, a founding member of the church: “This week has been special for our church, but can you hold on to your cheers and your claps? Of course, we are so happy that Pastor Kong is back with us. But, Pastor Kong has specially requested that we don’t clap.”

Mr Kong, 55, then told the crowd: “This is the only time you will hear from me for quite a while. Having been away since 2017, it feels really surreal to be here in this hall and to be home, reunited with my family, especially my parents, my siblings, my in-laws and of course with all of you again.”

He then apologised for all that had happened. The allegations of financial irregularities began in 2010, and culminated in a lengthy court case that began in 2012.

Mr Kong was originally sentenced to eight years in jail but his sentence was reduced to three and a half years on appeal. He served the second-longest sentence out of the six CHC leaders, except former fund manager Chew Eng Han, who was given three years and four months in prison and had his term extended by 13 months after he tried to flee the country by boat.

“I have served my sentence and today I find myself humbled. I want all of you to know that I am so sorry, so sorry, for any pain, anxiety, disappointment and grief that you have suffered because of me.

“The last few years have been very difficult and painful for me and everyone involved,” he said, before thanking his church, including those who had remained to rebuild CHC after his conviction.

Mr Kong added that his immediate priority will be to reconnect with his family and relatives, stating that due to the long-drawn court case and the subsequent incarceration, he had “missed out” on a significant part of his son Dayan’s childhood and had brought pain to his parents, who are now in their 90s.

Thousands turned up for the Saturday sermon, which was scheduled for C3 Church Global’s founder Phil and Christine Pringle, founders of the charismatic church movement. Kong described the Pringles as his longest, oldest friends and mentors.

Many churchgoers teared when Kong took the stage, but duly held their applause and cheers until the end of his speech, when Kong returned to his seat beside his singer-wife Ho Yeow Sun, also known as Sun Ho.

While Kong did not give details or timelines about his future involvement with CHC, he told the church that he was looking forward to “renewing my friendship and my fellowship with you soon” and hoped to serve his church “in the many, many years to come”.

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...-says-kong-hee-his-return-city-harvest-church

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pastor Kong shares with samsters, sinkies and oppies about the key to victory!!

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are living in a sick world, we glorified criminal like Kong Hee, we cheer Kim Jong-Un like he is a Star.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
We are living in a sick world, we glorified criminal like Kong Hee, we cheer Kim Jong-Un like he is a Star.

Kong Hee is not a criminal he is a victim. Sun Ho's crossover project resulted in millions of people embracing Christianity. They were lost souls before they were mesmerized by her angelic voice. They have been saved by CHC.

None of those who involved in the funding of the project did it for themselves they did it to serve the Lord.

Listen to her and you too will think you're in heaven.

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
we are indeed at end-times, where there will be false prophet & messenger who claim to be doing good work. But they also did nice work to enrich their own account.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wat a good spin..

Kong Hee not in CHC Management Board while wife Sun Ho inside - The Online Citizen
The City Harvest Church (CHC) issued a public notice yesterday (22 Aug) after their pastor Kong Hee was released from prison the same day.

In its statement, CHC said that while serving time, Kong spent most of his time “seeking and studying the things of God”.

“Pastor thanks you all for your unceasing prayers these last few years, for him and for his family. Your letters brought him comfort and joy,” it added.

“Pastor will be taking a period to spend time with his family, especially his elderly parents. Please do continue to keep him, Sun, Dayan and his parents in prayer.”

Kong’s release comes one day before he turns 55, which is today (23 Aug). He would thus be eligible to take out all his CPF after setting aside the minimum sum of $176,000 in his Retirement Account.

Kong served only two-thirds of his 3.5-year sentence. His sentence had been reduced from eight years’ jail to 3.5 years upon the successful appeal by his then-lawyer Edwin Tong, who is currently the Senior Minister of State for Law and Health.

In a media interview last year, Senior Minister of State Edwin Tong denied there was any conflict of interest on his part when he was the deputy chair of the Government Parliamentary Committee (GPC) for Home Affairs and Law while defending Kong Hee at the same time.

During Kong’s appeal, the Court of Appeal upheld the High Court’s verdict and ruled that Section 409 of the Penal Code, which provides for heavier punishments for certain classes of people who commit criminal breaches of trust (CBT), cannot be applied to Kong Hee and the 5 other CHC leaders.

Kong and the rest have been convicted for misusing some $50 million of church funds under a different section, resulting in them getting lighter punishments. It was Tong and his compatriots who successfully argued in High Court that the CHC leaders cannot be considered as “professional agents”, and as such cannot be charged under section 409, which allows for life imprisonment.

The Court of Appeal said such a gap in law should be remedied by Parliament, which prompted the government to move to ensure legislation provides for higher penalties for senior officers who commit CBT too.

Kong barred from holding management position in CHC but wife is on CHC management board
In 2017, the Commissioner of Charities (COC) permanently barred Kong and the other 5 from holding management positions in CHC or any other charity. The Commissioner also prohibited CHC from hiring the six without his approval.

Even though Kong is barred from holding management positions in CHC, according to its latest annual report, his wife is a member on the CHC Management Board:

Part of the reasons Kong got into trouble with the law was because he had misused the church funds to fund his wife’s music career in the US, through sophisticated round-tripping financial engineering methods.

In one instance, $150,000 was blown on a “celebrity party” for his wife in one night alone, at an upmarket popular seaside resort in the Hamptons area of New York. But it did not seem to have any effects on his wife’s music career.

Despite the CHC saga, it is still able to collect tens of millions of dollars in donations every year. In fact, it was reported that CHC collected $29 million in donations in 2018.

It still had about 16,000 church members last year and was among the top 10 richest charities by donations here.

Meanwhile, it’s not known if Kong’s wife, Sun Ho, still dances to the tunes of her album “China Wine” these days.

Share this:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Has the attendance at CHC dwindled since the scandal? Or had some of them defected to Joseph Prince's megachurch? :wink:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
He celebrated his birthday in an upper bukit timah terrace house he now calls home. The house is owned by real estate firm
KNN no need work can rent terrace house in bukit timah KNN very blessed man KNN

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Next crossover project will be a book about his prison stint, people inside he saw that christianity can save, he will make a video about visiting a "lost" inmate whom he preached and save and his book will be no.1 bestseller in SG/MY/Batam. Sun whore's next single will be "Changi Wine"...:biggrin: Abba Abba!

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next crossover project will be a book about his prison stint, people inside he saw that christianity can save, he will make a video about visiting a "lost" inmate whom he preached and save and his book will be no.1 bestseller in SG/MY/Batam. Sun whore's next single will be "Changi Wine"...:biggrin: Abba Abba!
Is there a law in singkieland that allows criminals to profit from their crimes?